Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2015, 09:14 PM   #101
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
That blue piece is a real stunner!!
Don't worry about the bug killer.. It is harmless for acros..
Thanks for the reassurance. First time (and hopefully last) doing it for me. I now also have to reasses how they entered and my pest prevention protocol.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 12:07 AM   #102
MichaelW
Registered Member

First dose done. Now to leave it 12 hours and water change and replace carbon.
One thing I did note after dosing was a large feeding response from all the corals (not sure if this is actually a bad thing as they might be ingesting the medicine?). Maybe it's the next big thing in coral food? Biggles can keep his skimate dumping, I will go for the beef flavoring in dog meds!

Unread 08/23/2015, 07:17 AM   #103
tank master
Registered Member

Leopard wrasses are one of the best for pest control, and they are very fun to watch go around; very curious fish. The thing with them is that their survival rate is pretty bad, but if you can find a good source for them, and get them eating well you should have no problems keeping them.
I've had 5 in 125 for about 2 years now and they eat everything, krill, pellets, nori, flakes, just about anything i put in they will eat. They are more competitive for nori than my tangs are and rip it out of their mouths occasionally.

180 gallon soon to be sps ATI 60 inch 8 bulb t5
Freshly converted 220 soon to be sps ATI 60 inc
tank master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 07:29 AM   #104
markalot

Good luck with the medication, I hope all works out well!

Unread 08/23/2015, 09:45 AM   #105
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank master View Post
Leopard wrasses are one of the best for pest control, and they are very fun to watch go around; very curious fish. The thing with them is that their survival rate is pretty bad, but if you can find a good source for them, and get them eating well you should have no problems keeping them.
I've had 5 in 125 for about 2 years now and they eat everything, krill, pellets, nori, flakes, just about anything i put in they will eat. They are more competitive for nori than my tangs are and rip it out of their mouths occasionally.
I have had mine for nearly 2 years now as Well. I only have 1 though. He is the same way with nori and taking it from gangs. He doesn't pick much any more... Probably because he knows a good supply of other food comes every day.

Unread 08/23/2015, 12:54 PM   #106
MichaelW
Registered Member

Round 1 of interceptor complete. Acros look fine. I am running carbon in reactor but with low flow like Sabin suggested. Will leave it this way untill next week's treatment then run 1 more week in reactor with fresh carbon and then go back to a mesh bag.
Don't see any bugs or even bodies on coral... But I can bearly see then anyway. Will have a closer look later.

Unread 08/23/2015, 12:55 PM   #107
MichaelW
Registered Member

Oh quick one more question for you guys... Do you recommend I skim a little wetter than normal to speed up pulling out the meds?

Unread 08/23/2015, 02:23 PM   #108
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Oh quick one more question for you guys... Do you recommend I skim a little wetter than normal to speed up pulling out the meds?
I never changed the skimmer setting. You can try it, it shouldnt hurt anything. So why not.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 02:49 PM   #109
cFloor
Registered Member

I just finished reading through this thread,
I really like the overall set up. It looks very clean in that room. I also like the white stand and canopy, I've done the same on my tank.

That efflo and blue acro are both stunning! Great job getting all that color out of them. Bummer you ended up with red bugs, but it could be worse… Best of luck eradicating them from your system. Looking forward to following along

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 02:53 PM   #110
MichaelW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
I just finished reading through this thread,
I really like the overall set up. It looks very clean in that room. I also like the white stand and canopy, I've done the same on my tank.

That efflo and blue acro are both stunning! Great job getting all that color out of them. Bummer you ended up with red bugs, but it could be worse… Best of luck eradicating them from your system. Looking forward to following along
Thanks for the kind words. I have been following along with your thread 2. Yeah could be worse than red bugs, hopefully they are history after the interceptor treatment

Unread 08/23/2015, 04:57 PM   #111
agcneves
Registered Member

Beautiful coral!
Good luck with the treatment of Red Bugs!

Current Tank Info: 1700 liters (445 G), Tunze and Reef Octupus Skimmers, 6 MP40 Vortech, Zeovit Reactor, light 8 T5 and 4 MH, Balling powered
agcneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 07:38 PM   #112
MichaelW
Registered Member

Well after first treatment don't see any change in coral colors for better or worse etc. But i don't see any bugs so that's good.

Unread 08/25/2015, 04:54 PM   #113
MichaelW
Registered Member

An old Classic, Montipora Setosa. I really like this coral. I got it as a 1/2 in rescue frag from a piece that was not doing well in someone else's tank, he will be getting a frag back from me in the near future to try it again. It is getting pretty good size now and nothing glows as bright orange under the blue lights as this piece. Every tank should have a piece!

Unread 08/25/2015, 06:02 PM   #114
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Cheers Sahin. Makes sense to ensure a low flow in tea for as I usually run passive. I know it should all be fine but still makes me nervous adding medicine that is marketed for dogs to my tank.

Ftfmw

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 12:02 AM   #115
MichaelW
Registered Member

A few days have passed since first interceptor treatment. All looks good. It may just be wishful thinking but I think it looks like a couple corals have slightly better color.
A few unexpected additions... My father in law turned up at my work on Friday with 5 Tuka anthias in a bag for me. Now I know all about these fish and the success rate of them. I had been watching these fish for a while in the LFS for a while and the owner had been getting them eating daphnia. Normally before I get fish I get my QT up and running. Well, as I wasn't expecting them, it wasn't. I went and put them right in dt! I know the fish have been prazi treated. As of today all 5 are eating the daphnia and a couple started nibbling on mysis. I am hopefull but not expectant.
With the increased feedings (for the anthias), the 5 New fish, and the red bug treatment, I expected a nutrient rise (actually wanted one) but everything still tested 0 tonight!

Unread 08/27/2015, 10:54 AM   #116
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
A few days have passed since first interceptor treatment. All looks good. It may just be wishful thinking but I think it looks like a couple corals have slightly better color.
A few unexpected additions... My father in law turned up at my work on Friday with 5 Tuka anthias in a bag for me. Now I know all about these fish and the success rate of them. I had been watching these fish for a while in the LFS for a while and the owner had been getting them eating daphnia. Normally before I get fish I get my QT up and running. Well, as I wasn't expecting them, it wasn't. I went and put them right in dt! I know the fish have been prazi treated. As of today all 5 are eating the daphnia and a couple started nibbling on mysis. I am hopefull but not expectant.
With the increased feedings (for the anthias), the 5 New fish, and the red bug treatment, I expected a nutrient rise (actually wanted one) but everything still tested 0 tonight!
Good news overall. You might get one or two corals to colour up pretty quick if they were previously affected by the Redbugs.

I increased my feeding a lot since I added the anthias in my tank a few weeks back but I havent noticed any real increase in nutrients or even algae. It seems like the system coped with the increase pretty well.

Unread 08/28/2015, 12:06 AM   #117
MichaelW
Registered Member

Attempted some moon light shots playing with camera settings. Didn't come out that great, but I know you guys like pics.
Loripes?, seems to be getting a little bit more saturation since red bug treatment.

A piece I'm looking after for someone. Was in really bad shape, choked out by algae, no pe, not much color. Looks better now. Still some dead patches in middle, but I'm confident it will come back. Really glows a nice green... I will miss it when I have to give it back.

A nice milli, picture didn't come out well, has a goldfish tone with a little bit of pink coming through. I think with time this could turn really nice.

Finally an attempt at a moonlight FTS. Meh.. I wish I could capture the glow of color better.

Unread 08/28/2015, 08:55 AM   #118
MichaelW
Registered Member

FTS is not displaying properly

Unread 08/30/2015, 11:25 AM   #119
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Very nice buddy. I bet the fluorescence is crazy nice under the UV/Royal Blue channels.

Unread 08/30/2015, 05:08 PM   #120
MichaelW
Registered Member

Completed 2nd round of interceptor treatment (not thaticould see anymore bugs). Things still look fine. Had a power cut for about 12 hours yesterday so had some concerns.. But managed to fire up generator. Temp got down to around 75.5 so hopefully not too bad.
Unfortunately the owner of the nice glowing green table wanted it back now, I will have to find something similar to put in the spot.
I will be having to give up a bunch of corals I have been looking after soon, the tank is going to feel a bit empty. But it does mean I can get some things up off the sand.

Unread 08/30/2015, 05:30 PM   #121
reefmutt
Registered Member

Having to give back healthy corals... That's a good problem to have.
And so is open real estate for new additions!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 05:47 PM   #122
MichaelW
Registered Member

Yeah it will let me see a bit better how the overall layout looks and what I will want to add in certain places.

Unread 08/30/2015, 05:48 PM   #123
MichaelW
Registered Member

I will miss the strawberry shortcake though. Might see if I can keep I frag off it.

Unread 09/04/2015, 12:11 AM   #124
MichaelW
Registered Member

It's nearly been a week since I finished my second round of interceptor treatment. I must say I feel like there is improved PE on all corals (even ones I couldn't see any bugs on). PE has always been pretty good, just seems a bit better. Most things color has remained same, but my alk has dropped a little so my guess is growth is improving.

Unread 09/04/2015, 05:55 AM   #125
markalot

Glad to hear the treatment seemed to work and the tank is fine.