Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 08:02 AM   #26
alton
Registered Member

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2018...marine-fishes/

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:36 AM   #27
homer1475
Registered Member

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2018...marine-fishes/

Looks like it's still banned for the aquarium trade, but you can fish(pole and hook, spearfishing, etc) and kill any reef fish without a permit. Makes no sense.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 03:47 PM   #28
Daltonbilecki
Registered Member

Yep... absolutely stupid. They think taking the smallest fish alive is worse than taking the biggest reproducing fish out there... I also have property in Maui and only see yellow tangs on the very southern part of the island. Luckily you can still collect fish as long as its not for commercial use. I think people there disregard spear fishing as harming the fish population because they’ve been doing it for generations, whereas the ornamental fish trade has only been around for maybe 40 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daltonbilecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 02:06 AM   #29
homer1475
Registered Member

After thinking about it. I feel their stance is at least with regard to sport fishing/fishing for food, your only taking a few fish a day. With the aquarium trade they are taking hundreds a day.

If you look at this way, you can kind of understand where they are going with it.

Unread 04/24/2018, 05:25 AM   #30
alton
Registered Member

I have never seen a commercial fisherman only take a few fish a day? The picture you and I posted shows just a few in just one market.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:05 AM   #31
homer1475
Registered Member

From what I read, only sport fishing is allowed. No commercial fishing.

Hence their stance and why they took it. Still doesn't make any sense, but its progress and looks as though the ban should be lifted with the new studies.

Unread 04/24/2018, 11:52 AM   #32
alton
Registered Member

This from one of the collectors in Hawaii
CALL TO ACTION BELOW PLEASE HELP US HELP YOU GET CHEAPER FISH AND MORE HAWAII FISH

Just in stock 4 achilles, 3 mustard, 6 Unicorn Lg,1 small broomtail file one of the smallest I have ever collected (15 inches). Also In sotck 20 male cross hatch, 16 female cross hatch and 2 smaller female cross hatch, 6 Bandit Angels 2- 3.25 to 4 inch, 2- 4.5 to 7 inches rest >7, 1 male dragon eel large, golden dwarf eels, 45 Show 10 inch to 7 inch med Yellow tangs, fishers, four spot butterflies, long nose butterflies, naos tangs large streamers and many others see list attached. In stock soon more flame wrasses., 150 smaller yellows, butterflies and kole. Sphex Lion Fish Hawaiian, small Japanese squirrel, feather dusters, hermits, sponges, armored urchins and many others.
20 naso tangs streamers med to xxlg, and many others see list attached.
In stock hard to get fish are the two small golden dwarf eels, show size sailfin tangs, niger triggers, goat fish xxlg colored, yellow harry hermits, purple star fish, pink nobby star fish, strawberry crabs,
Christmas Island fish arrive Tuesday tomorrow, we expect then goldflakes, declivis, 150 flame angels (some in stock now), 90 bartletts. Ordered black and one emperors etc. NO ONE RECIVED CXI FISH LAST WEEK THE FLIGHT WAS FULL. See list attached.
Thanks, RT Distributors
CALL TO ACTION
WE HOPE TO GET OUR SMALL MESH NETS PERMITS BACK SOON BUT TO DO SO WE NEED EVERYONES HELP BY SENDING A SHORT EMAIL

Unread 04/24/2018, 03:32 PM   #33
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

It is suprising to me that they would rather see the Achilles tangs on ice rather then in someone's tank

shrimpinator123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 05:55 PM   #34
teddscau
Registered Member

Or if people can't be convinced not to spearfish, at least target invasive species >_>.

teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 06:08 PM   #35
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
The last time I was in Hi, some of the bays were totally silted over killing almost all the coral there. I suspect loss of habitat from pollution and run off are very large contributors to decreasing fish populations. It sure seamed it was from what I saw.
There is no decline in fish populations matter of fact yellow tang populations in Hawaii are increasing pretty fast and that is the number one collected fish in Hawaii.. There have been several studies proving this the last few years.

Matter of fact this is going to lead to a big increase in tang prices and more deaths because now we will rely on tangs from farther places.

I do believe in conservation and management. If a fish is in decline we should limit or end it period if need be but this is not it.

Unread 04/29/2018, 06:21 PM   #36
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post
I'm not suggesting that the industry should be disingenuous or try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Just stop pretending that trade is without harm and get involved in conservation if it is serious about sustainability.
While I agree that we need to do a better job all the way from collection to the tank, there are too many losses.

The hobby provides education and give people a reason to protect the ocean. It adds value to a reef giving a reason for the people who collect the fish and coral to protect them..

This hobby has come a long way.. If it were not for the hobby we would not be able to breed or propagate coral. There have been so many advances in aquaculture, mariculture, breeding of fish all because of the hobby.

Unread 05/03/2018, 10:58 AM   #37
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Is there any hope in getting the ban lifted? Or are the animal rights groups just going to block everything?

Unread 05/03/2018, 11:13 AM   #38
shred5
Registered Member

I doubt it with this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/03/most...are-dying.html

And with Renee Umberger being on the board...

Also after this Sea Shepard will probably move on to other areas and try getting them shut down.

Last edited by shred5; 05/03/2018 at 11:19 AM.
shred5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 11:48 AM   #39
homer1475
Registered Member

It's only a bill, still needs to be signed by the governor.

Whats next, banning people all together from going in the ocean?

I would like to see them try to enforce it. They can make all the the laws they want, enforcing them is the hard part. That bill will effectively kill Hawaii's tourism.

Unread 05/03/2018, 02:03 PM   #40
alton
Registered Member

Well no more tourism I guess they can start collecting fish again? For me I like going to the beach around 5 pm, no worries about getting burned or having to add sunscreen. When I have pool parties they always start around six pm and unless it is a baby or small child no sunscreen allowed.

Unread 05/08/2018, 05:47 PM   #41
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

It is surprising that nobody looks at the science behind it. And if anybody brings up those facts, the animal rights groups say that they were paid off by the pet industry.

Last edited by shrimpinator123; 05/16/2018 at 05:43 PM.