Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2015, 02:49 PM   #1
charlottereef
Registered Member

LED light decision... Help

Hello all,

OK so ive been looking at leds for weeks now and cant decide what to go with..
the main three are of course
1 Kessil A360we tuna blue
2 AI Hydra 52
3 Ecotech radions g3pro

I wouldn't say money is no object but they are kind of all around the same price.. I have had a ecotech radion g2 before.. it was ok
currently have two kessil a160w on a 30 long sps and they look good too..

This new tank is a 220g 72x24x30.. the top portions of the rocks will be some what heavily stocked with acros and montis and birds nest corals..
the bottom of the tank will be a bare bottom with frags of zoes and green star polyps..
The amount I need would also affect the ones i buy just in price alone..
I guess im asking what are your experiences with these lights and any pro or cons of either?
And how many would anyone suggest to put on this big of a tank?

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get...
Thanks

charlottereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Wazzel
Registered Member

I think any of those would work just fine. From what I am seeing with my hydra 52 you will need 4. If the others are similar probably 4 of those too.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 03:42 PM   #3
charlottereef
Registered Member

thanks wazzel

really four you think... how has your experience been with the hydra 52 its really at the top of my list right now because of the new price drop

Unread 03/05/2015, 03:49 PM   #4
amcvay1979
Registered Member

I basically have a shorter version of your tank as mine is only 48 long, but my other dimensions are the same. I went with the 52's and I love them. Plenty of light penetration down to 30 inches and I have 2. 1 for every 24 inches of tank length.

I was torn between the Radion Pro's and the 52's. Ultimately I went with the 52's because of the added number of LED's, the lower price point and the good reputation of AI and awesome customer service.

What I didn't take into effect was the mounting cost. I purchased 2 48 inch vertical bars and 2 12 inch arms to mount the 2 lights and then purchased the Director controller. All in I was at just about $1500, or roughly the same cost as the Radion PRO's before any mounting or controller purchase.

They are simply stunning lights though and crazy controllable.

amcvay1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 03:56 PM   #5
cali9dub
Registered Member

I've had 3 AI SOL Blues over my tank, then 2 radion G3 pro's and now I have 3 Kessil A360WE's. Out of all of them (they all did a good job) I like the Kessils the best. I keep all sps and have a s.gigantea and a ritteri nem. The price of the Kessils, their compact size and metal halide type shimmer are all reasons I like the Kessils. I thought the radion pro's had too much gingerbread and you could spend all year long tweaking every color channel...overkill in my mind. However they all grow sps very well and are good choices. I'm pretty sure they all come down to personal preference!! Good luck with your decision though, you won't go wrong with any !!

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 04:30 PM   #6
charlottereef
Registered Member

Thanks guys,

yes Im torn also because because I like the kessils i have now but i know there two small for the tank they are a160w's. I also like the controllability of the hydra 52's and for the price right now you cant go wrong..

I had an ecotech radion g2 on a previous 70 cube. 24x24x30.. it looked ok but i always felt like there was something missing.. I dont think i will be going with the ecotech again. And for the price ugh there expensive.

As for this tank im really thinking 3 Hydra 52's then if i need more light adding the Kessil a160w's

Unread 03/05/2015, 04:45 PM   #7
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottereef View Post
thanks wazzel

really four you think... how has your experience been with the hydra 52 its really at the top of my list right now because of the new price drop
You could get by with 3. From what I am seeing they cover 24" really well in the long axis and 18" in the short axis. If you keep that in mind when setting up your scape and placing corals you will be fine.

I am more than happy with the performance. I have a SPS/LPS tank. It will grow every thing. I have been real cautious with messing with the settings. I took a more of a set and forget type approach. Set the color to something I liked and more or less let it be. It has been about a year since the tank was set up and 10 months since I added my first coral. Growth and color are good.

Please be cautious and take your time when first setting up. You can burn things if you power up to fast, but you can use full power. I run around 94% total with my settings ranging from 74 to 100 percent.

Unread 03/05/2015, 04:51 PM   #8
charlottereef
Registered Member

Thanks Wassel..
Yeah i would start them off at 45 to 50% and then gradually raise them as needed.. I generally wont mess with the color setting much because I think corals like a full spectrum.. I plan on putting the three islands right under the lights anyhow and supplementing with the two kessils if needed..

Unread 03/05/2015, 05:44 PM   #9
nuxx
RC Sponsor

We have four Kessil A360WEs on our 120x29x31" tank.

They do a very good job, going to add two more to help reduce a little shadowing.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 05:52 PM   #10
charlottereef
Registered Member

I keep going back and forth with the kessils and the hydra 52's
4 kessils or three 52's.. there basically the same price..
What to do?

Unread 03/05/2015, 05:59 PM   #11
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottereef View Post
I keep going back and forth with the kessils and the hydra 52's
4 kessils or three 52's.. there basically the same price..
What to do?
I'm not running a canopy, so I liked the look of the Kessils on goosenecks

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 02:58 PM   #12
signal_4
Registered Member

LOL I am in the exact same situation with the exact same size tank... Im currently running a 72" Sunbrite Led. They have since gone out of business and after a recent PAR test seem to be loosing efficiency. Plus The optics dont seem to be as good giving a spread. The par on the radions seems to be a bit more powerful from what Ive seen on a friends tank that is the same 30" tall 3 ft wide compared to the specs put out by AI. Ive been searching like crazy for someone that has a tank similiar to mine using Hydra 52s to see if its ok. My tank is a well established mixed SPS/LPS. Also the mounting system for the Hydra 52 kinda sucks for already running systems using the vertical bars.... No way am I gonna try to move the tank to get behind it to mount the light rail. Where Radions have the upper tank mounted light attachment.

Amcavy1979..... what kind of corals do you have in your system ? Do you notice a thicker red tint in the tank ? Ive have heard that the Hydra's do that.

signal_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 03:50 PM   #13
STRATNEST6769
Registered Member

What setting are using on your hydas and what is your mntheight

STRATNEST6769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 03:56 PM   #14
STRATNEST6769
Registered Member

Hi wassel what fixtures 26 or 52? And what are your settings and mating height

STRATNEST6769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 04:36 PM   #15
jminick2
Registered Member

you will be happy with the quality of any of the three, it comes down to money and mounting options. Im not sure if AI has any tank mount options where radion and kessil do. I have g3 pros mounted inside my canopy. I also like the kessil gooseneck for rimless tanks.

jminick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 04:44 PM   #16
kissman
Registered Member

have you looked at the Reefbreeders?

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATNEST6769 View Post
Hi wassel what fixtures 26 or 52? And what are your settings and mating height
I use a 52, about 8" ABWL. I run high settings I have all that in my build thread page 3, SPS forum.

Unread 03/11/2015, 05:06 PM   #18
charlottereef
Registered Member

Ok i bit the bullet and bought three hydra 52's after going to a couple of lfs and comparing and debating..
I just liked the way the hydras looked compared to the ecotechs and after having an ecotech gen 2 before and not being to thrilled with it I decided to try the hydra 52' as the price drop just made the decision easier..
dont get me wrong i loved the kessils two but the controllability of the AI's is what i wanted... As soon as they come in ill put up some pics and a review...
Now on to order more toys..