Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2015, 02:42 PM   #1
bigfish14
Registered Member

Best Powerheads for the Money

With all these new powerheads coming out, we are left with a lot of choices. Which ones do you believe are the best for the price? I will be setting up a 120 gallon reef. Are the VorTechs still worth the money?

Current Tank Info: 40B reef tank being transferred into a 20 gallon because of apartment rules
bigfish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 04:21 PM   #2
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

They all move water. Some are controllable and talk to each other to work in synch or make a wave. Some move sheets of water while others are more direct. Etc etc. go to YouTube and look at the different makes and models. I didn't follow that advise and wasted 300.00 only to upgrade a month later. Don't be that guy. Lol

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 04:34 PM   #3
wagohn
Registered Member

I like the Hydors in my 29G. Been running two for over a year and still going strong. Best feature is no more annoying 'suckers' that lose suction, the Hydors mount using magnets - great pump for the $.

wagohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Mishri
Registered Member

A lot of people have been talking up Jebao. For the price the seem like a good product.

Or you can try the latest fad like I did, the Maxspect gyre. I like it a lot. I probably could have gotten a jebao setup for less. I still have no corals so can't offer any personal experience, though others say they seem to love it, better polyp extension and all that stuff. Draw back for some people is cleaning it is harder than other pumps (more time consuming).

Unread 03/04/2015, 05:54 PM   #5
terry4505
Registered Member

I've used Koralias, Jebaos (WP-40, WP-25, RW-15s) Vortechs (MP-10) and now the Gyre (XF150) on my 120 gallon.

If I had $300 to spend, it would be the Gyre, hands down. With the new magnet mount they are shipping with, it is absolutely SILENT.

If I had $150 to spend, I'd pick up a pair of Jebao RWs.

terry4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 06:45 PM   #6
bigfish14
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input! I'm trying to save money anywhere I can since money saved on equipment = more live stock As cool as the VorTechs are, I'm glad there are cheaper and just as effective options

Current Tank Info: 40B reef tank being transferred into a 20 gallon because of apartment rules
bigfish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 04:44 AM   #7
firemountain
Registered Member

I use the Sicce Voyagers. The are blade type vs. propeller. If a propeller starts backwards...it will suck water as opposed to push.

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed reef
firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 07:24 AM   #8
tom obrecht
Registered Member

You'll get a lot of opinions here with that question. Lol! I have run many thru the years. Vortecs, closed loops, surge tanks, maxi jet modded, gyre, sea swirls, tunze ect. Now everyone has likes/dislikes about everything and what one loves the next person hates! Lol. Personally I use/like Tunzes the best and what I currently use on my 120 sps tank. Four 6095's on a controller. Love the flow but that many in a 120 is a bit distracting from the looks of the tank. But what power head/wave maker is not! I recently tried the new Gyre and although moves a lot of water it personally wasn't what I was looking for. Went right back to my Tunzes and haven't looked back. I look for quality equipment that is proven and has good service if needed. Vortecs for me were too loud and troublesome with the wet side but now with the new Quiet Drive series perhaps that has been improved. Think it depends on a couple of key points. What's your budget and do you care what it looks like in the display. I personally can overlook equipment in the tank if it makes my animals happy. Good luck!

Unread 03/05/2015, 07:32 PM   #9
RxReefer
Registered Member

I believe it really depends on the money you want to spend but the advice I have consistently gotten when beginning my build is dont go too cheap in the beginning because you will end up upgrading in the near future or have frustrating results with your tank. I managed to talk myself into getting a couple of new MP40 QDs for my setup in process after doing alot of reading and watching videos. The vortechs have the best ability to keep detritus off rock and the sandbed without blasting your tank with directional flow that many powerheads do. Tunze seems to make great reliable products and do have a 6095 wide flow that runs arounf 240 when on sale that would have been my second choice paired with a Gyre based on what I have viewed. The jebaos are supposed to preform well but make a tremendous amount of noise. Most other powerheads just produce a narrow stream that is not as useful for corals and probably not preferred by fish. As I said Im still working on my build, almost done....a year after i started. Another great piece of advice I have gotten is only bad things happen quickly in this hobby so I would save up and buy the best equipment you can afford. It might take a while but itll be worth it.

RxReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 08:21 PM   #10
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

I had four vortech mp40s at one point. Two of the power supply's went bad a few months from each other but of course they were out of warranty. Then a year later a controller went bad.

I had better luck and better support from Tunze.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 08:32 PM   #11
RxReefer
Registered Member

I hope I have a better experience for the money I put out Where they early models.....most of the problems I saw were with mp10s and older model.

RxReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 08:33 PM   #12
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Jebao -- this you will never go wrong with the jebao wavemakers. They are not expensive at all and performance is right up there with the best of them. Had the older model version on my 29 gallon for a year, then moved it to my 55 along with a new Jebao model that I purchased. Check youtube for their reviews.

Unread 03/05/2015, 10:53 PM   #13
fishresponse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post
I've used Koralias, Jebaos (WP-40, WP-25, RW-15s) Vortechs (MP-10) and now the Gyre (XF150) on my 120 gallon.

If I had $300 to spend, it would be the Gyre, hands down. With the new magnet mount they are shipping with, it is absolutely SILENT.

I've tried all these too with the exception of the gyre. I love my Jebao RWs.

fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 06:45 AM   #14
Guygettnby
Registered Member

I have a pair of jebao rw-8's in my 72g bow front and I can't even turn them up past 50%... For the money they push a lot of water, have magnet mounts, are silent as could be, wireless sync controllers and of course are fairly inexpensive.

I have been happy with them for the most part. Every once in awhile they will go out of sync with each other over time and you need to mess with them for a minute to get them back into sync. I think this is only in alternating mode though.

Guygettnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 08:14 AM   #15
fishgate
Registered Member

The only thing the Vortechs have is the no cord in the tank. Nothing else. What a waste of money! Hydors I think are the best bang for the buck. The Jabeos are becoming a major player too.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 08:29 AM   #16
alton
Registered Member

I had a mp10, I have an older than dirt Tunze that works great. Both pumps ramp up and down depending on the setting. When I saw the WP at one of my LFS it just turns on for a couple of seconds and then turns off for a couple of seconds. There is no ramping up and down. Did my LFS have there's set up wrong?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:25 AM   #17
PaintGuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I had a mp10, I have an older than dirt Tunze that works great. Both pumps ramp up and down depending on the setting. When I saw the WP at one of my LFS it just turns on for a couple of seconds and then turns off for a couple of seconds. There is no ramping up and down. Did my LFS have there's set up wrong?
There are 3 wave settings on the WPs. One is on/off as you saw, others are slower ramps.

PaintGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:28 AM   #18
FraggledRock
Registered Member

I love my MP10

but i got my eye on the GYRE...

im all about low profile.

i hate seeing powerheads

and to get any water movement you're sacrificing so much space with the jebaos in many ways. distance from corals. distance from rocks, angles and heights. too many dead spots.

i like natural flow and having a 1" bean of water flow is kind of unnatural, which si why i go my eye on the gyre. wide water movement, and it offers puled wave action that rides the water surface, like a.. WAVE!

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:33 AM   #19
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4505 View Post

This. Vortechs have always been nice, but are disgustingly expensive, so no, not worth the money. Are they great quality, sure, but no powerhead is worth as much as they cost.

Unread 03/06/2015, 10:37 AM   #20
FraggledRock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimolaFish View Post
This. Vortechs have always been nice, but are disgustingly expensive, so no, not worth the money. Are they great quality, sure, but no powerhead is worth as much as they cost.
marine depot has a sale on the mp10 es

185$

since the quiet drives are out.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
Unread 03/06/2015, 10:38 AM   #21
FraggledRock
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_M...FIPHAD-vi.html

Unread 03/06/2015, 11:06 AM   #22
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I am buying the used Tunze pumps that people are selling when they are moving to this other/newer stuff. I will likely still be using the Tunze without issue when the previous owners are replacing their replacements.

Some of the answer is based on your expectation and how long you want them to last.

If you like the knock-off stuff, but see too many Jeabo issue posts, then AquaMedic EcoDrift has the same cheap Chineese controller, but the pump is made in Europe and you get US Support and warranty. ...and they are not all that expensive.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2015, 12:03 PM   #23
scooter31707
Registered Member

I recently had 2 Vortech WP40s and replace them with the Maxspect Riptide Gyre Generator XF 150. All I can say is WOW!!! What a difference, to me it is worth the $300 so far. Only had it in the tank for a week and it is moving water like crazy in my 120.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote