Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2006, 10:16 AM   #26
Reefflections
Registered Member

As for Iodide,have always used it.It's never been a problem in all the years of reefkeeping,that I've been in.Even Znut here has also a lot of years of reefkeeping,and pretty sure she uses this stiff also.ESV backs the use of their 1% PI.And even the Zeo users today are using,even a higher dose of PFI.I have never lost a coral to the use of Iodide.If anything it makes your blue acro,color up even more.I'm a form believer of this additive,only in small amounts.And have scene nothing but good results from it.
As for DT's it just when I had Zenia,it went crazy.That was the only additive other than ESV 1% PI was being added.Not really sure if the DT had a direct impact.But something made this Zenia explode in my system.Maybe it was the high Phos.that's in DT that made the Zenia take off?

Reefflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2006, 11:04 AM   #27
G-money
Premium Member

It's very likely that DT's also increases the amount of DOM/nutrients in the tank. Since Xenia and most corals actively uptake nutrients across their tissue, it would make sense that adding a nutrient rich concoction like DTs would make more dissolved nutrients available to them. So even if they don't consume DT's directly, I'd bet there are anough residual nutrients in the stuff to be available to corals...

Current Tank Info: 120 reef, 75 plant
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2006, 12:10 PM   #28
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

It is Xenia, not Zenia.

Unread 03/05/2006, 12:57 PM   #29
Reefflections
Registered Member

Just had a long weekend !

Reefflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2006, 01:00 PM   #30
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I hear ya!

Unread 03/05/2006, 05:33 PM   #31
dolt
Registered Member

bowfront - I totally agree - I now would never want the stuff in my display tank as it is all but impossible to eradicate - I am only going to use it in my sump as a form of nutrient export
- I am going to get a hanna phosphate calorimeter and I wish I had it now as I would love to see what effect this has on my phosphates with all other things being equal - unfortunately I will not get one for a few weeks or so and I am putting the xenia in today - oh well, so much for science!

dolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2006, 08:06 PM   #32
acroconut
Registered Member

I'm not sure about xenia needing a high nutrient system to thrive. I have red sea PomPom in two of my tanks and the growth rate is high and difficult to manage. One tank is my 75G SPS tank and the other is my 7G minibow. In the case of the mini bow the lighting is only PC's, the tank has no fish, I feed a few pellets twice a week to my hairy black brittle star and 2 hermit crabs, and the xenia are growing on everything. On the other hand I have a 15G aiptasia grow out tank ( for the Berghia I breed) which is a nutrient sink due to target feeding aips atleast twice a day. I have placed the same species of xenia in there with ample flow and lighting. Within two weeks they shrink up and begin to die off, even though they have managed to plate to the glass and aren't in contact with any of the aiptasia. So go figure.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. sps running 2 x 250w HQI 14K AC's, and 2 x 110w URI VHO actinics, 1 Tunze stream and (1) 3/4" sea swirl, Deltec MCE 600 skimmer, small fuge, and 1/10 hp. chiller.30 gal sps and some LPS, 7 gal. mostly various zenias 150g being set up
acroconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:25 PM   #33
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

I have had very bad experiences with xenia crashes......it stinks!

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 04:46 AM   #34
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

ReefTeacher - fill me in, I"m worried about the Xenia dying off in my tank and crashing it. How do they 'crash' and what causes it?

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 05:45 AM   #35
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

It was my first reef tank in the late 90's. A friend had lots of xenia and gave me some as my first coral. It spread like wild fire.....then all of a sudden crashed, making the tank cloudy. I don't know exactly what causes it but I suspect they live off of dissolved nutrients and and some point thier growth outpaces the supply. I do not know if the die off is associated with some cells being released to find a more hospitible environment. But I can tell you it is sudden and smelly! The tank was never quite the same after the crash.

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 06:03 AM   #36
jer77
Phish Lover

I would very much like to see this xenia report, but I think its a stretch to say xenia can compete with caulerpa in nitrate control. Xenia grows fast, but not that fast. I really doubt the statement concerning lowering DOC's, but I'd still consider a study of it. I know its pulsing movements don't facilitate nutrient uptake, at least anything worth talking about.

120g 5 Year Old Reef w/ SPS, BTA, Zoos & some Softies. 40g Frag Tank. 40g Sump. Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 External Cone Skimmer. 250W Radiums. TaoTronics LED. PanWorld 200PS w/SQWD
jer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 08:20 AM   #37
Swolek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphiprion View Post
some sort of study showed that Xenia sp. consumed substantially more nitrate than Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha algae per unit mass. The same applied to certain DOCs as well.
What was the name of the study? Do you still have it saved somewhere?

My research project this semester is similar and I didn't come across an article like that. It sounds like it would be extremely useful.

Swolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 09:02 AM   #38
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I was told originally by the person who sold me the first couple heads of Xenia that i have that they have a finite lifespan, around 2 years or so. But if you frag them, what re-grows off the base starts that over. Also if you slice in half, same thing. But I've sold them to people who put them in tanks running GFO/Carbon and they melted overnight. So they definitely need some kind of nutrient availability.

Unread 04/07/2011, 09:53 AM   #39
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

DOnt you worry that a lttle piece gets in to the DT and spreads all over the place?

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 10:08 AM   #40
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

They are in my DT right now - I don't use them as the thread title suggests. I am more curious about the 'crashing' issue, because I do run an algae scrubber and I overfeed the tank to keep enough nutrients in the system to avoid the crash. But I'm thinking that I should get rid of them to be safe.

Unread 04/07/2011, 11:34 AM   #41
allsps40
Registered Member

I have heard the same thing about xenia in a fuge. I would like to see some pics of softy fuges.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote