Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Bubbles in seam of 300g Deep Dimension

I've had a 300g DD for about 4 years. I new about the issues with quality etc. but it seemed to be an acceptable risk and that Marineland may have fixed some of the QC issues. Recently I've seen many posts of people who bought tanks around the same time as me and thye are now experiencing leaks. That had me concerned so I inspected my seams and noticed lots of bubbles. I should have inspected 4 years ago but I was ignorant....

Attached are two pictures. What are your thoughts? Like everyone, I have nightmares of tank leaking or exploding etc.

Are these concerning enough to replace the tank? Crystal Reef Aquatics makes custom tanks in Bellingham Washington, so I could easily get a tank from them and pick it up.

Are these bubbles concerning enough to spend thousands on a custom tank?

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 06:51 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

Crystal reef....is that the same guy who used to be in Kent/isaquah? Mike? Indoor ocean I think it was

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 09:16 PM   #3
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

MarineLand aquariums have a lifetime warranty. As long as you are using their stand as well. If it does leak they will replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Crystal reef....is that the same guy who used to be in Kent/isaquah? Mike? Indoor ocean I think it was
Possibly. It is Mike. Mike O'brien. Do they make good tanks?

Unread 08/16/2018, 09:40 PM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman1 View Post
MarineLand aquariums have a lifetime warranty. As long as you are using their stand as well. If it does leak they will replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not using their stand as it was too short. I have a custom stand.... And unfortunately the damage from a leak would far exceed the cost of the tank itself. The tank is in my living room on hardwood floors. :/

Unread 08/17/2018, 06:55 AM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam

lol youre lucky if it leaks...slowly... but most likely if it fails it wont be slow, it will be really fast and damage your house and kill your expensive livestock if youre not home to see it happen. I would not be sleeping easy if that tank was in my house.

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 03:13 PM   #7
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Id tear it down asap. That is a ticking time bomb, especially for a tank that has so many documented failures. The primary reason I went with a custom tank in spite of the price tag was that a cheaper tank + a failure > a custom tank with no failure. Obviously a custom tank doesn't mean you wont have a failure, but your odds certainly go down depending on who you use.

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 03:16 PM   #8
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzeaepi View Post
Id tear it down asap. That is a ticking time bomb, especially for a tank that has so many documented failures. The primary reason I went with a custom tank in spite of the price tag was that a cheaper tank + a failure > a custom tank with no failure. Obviously a custom tank doesn't mean you wont have a failure, but your odds certainly go down depending on who you use.
Thanks. Who did you use for a custom? Being in Portland, it would be easy to drive to Bellingham for a pickup.

Unread 08/17/2018, 05:50 PM   #9
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
Possibly. It is Mike. Mike O'brien. Do they make good tanks?
I can’t speak directly to the quality of his tanks unfortunately. My buddy asked him for a quote for his tank and mike never got back to him. Even after talking with him in person about the email request. I was there when my buddy asked him directly about him not getting back about the quote request.

Now, I have seen his tanks first hand and in person. They looked good and they held water. He has the glass cut and polished for him. All he does is put it together.

His seams that I saw were black silicone. Which I believe will hide those imperfections that your seeing. I’ve never seen a “bad” seam that was black.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 08:24 PM   #11
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
I can’t speak directly to the quality of his tanks unfortunately. My buddy asked him for a quote for his tank and mike never got back to him. Even after talking with him in person about the email request. I was there when my buddy asked him directly about him not getting back about the quote request.

Now, I have seen his tanks first hand and in person. They looked good and they held water. He has the glass cut and polished for him. All he does is put it together.

His seams that I saw were black silicone. Which I believe will hide those imperfections that your seeing. I’ve never seen a “bad” seam that was black.
Thanks. He responded to my email and gave me a quote and some helpful info right away. I'm going to try and find some more info on his tanks.

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:27 PM   #12
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I bought a used 300 gallon glass tank many, many years ago with imperfections in the silicon on one end - much like you show here.

The left side gas bubbles slowly grew larger over time and created one long air seam on the left side panel. Something told me this would not end well. It began to worry me so much, I took all the huge Central American cichlids out of the tank.

A week later, my roommate heard Niagara Falls in the basement. He went down to investigate, saw the left panel hanging on by one side, and the 3/4 inch thick glass actually bowing out like plastic or rubber.

This freaked him out so badly he just opened the basement door and went back upstairs. He said he thought the flexing glass might explode like a hand grenade. He had a good point.

All 300 gallons of water went across the concrete floor and right out the back door of the basement into the back yard.

No way would I ever place a tank this large on anything but a concrete floor. I don't care if the tank is produced by Neptune himself, assisted by the Silicon Gods of Valhalla, I would NEVER put a 300 glass tank on a wooden or second story floor. Actually, I would never purchase a glass tank over 180 gallons - larger than 180, it's going to be acrylic. There's simply too much weight, and too much silicon and glass to go wrong.

Since then, I've learned not to accept ANY imperfections like this. None of the other seams had bubbles in them - just that one end. I did see an 150 with bubbles in the silicon once after that - and I told the dealer to get me another tank, as I sure as hell did not want that one.

Neither I would not accept a tank up to 120 gallons with black silicon. Imperfections MUST be seen in a tank that large.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 10:36 PM   #13
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
I bought a used 300 gallon glass tank many, many years ago with imperfections in the silicon on one end - much like you show here.

The left side gas bubbles slowly grew larger over time and created one long air seam on the left side panel. Something told me this would not end well. It began to worry me so much, I took all the huge Central American cichlids out of the tank.

A week later, my roommate heard Niagara Falls in the basement. He went down to investigate, saw the left panel hanging on by one side, and the 3/4 inch thick glass actually bowing out like plastic or rubber.

This freaked him out so badly he just opened the basement door and went back upstairs. He said he thought the flexing glass might explode like a hand grenade. He had a good point.

All 300 gallons of water went across the concrete floor and right out the back door of the basement into the back yard.

No way would I ever place a tank this large on anything but a concrete floor. I don't care if the tank is produced by Neptune himself, assisted by the Silicon Gods of Valhalla, I would NEVER put a 300 glass tank on a wooden or second story floor. Actually, I would never purchase a glass tank over 180 gallons - larger than 180, it's going to be acrylic. There's simply too much weight, and too much silicon and glass to go wrong.

Since then, I've learned not to accept ANY imperfections like this. None of the other seams had bubbles in them - just that one end. I did see an 150 with bubbles in the silicon once after that - and I told the dealer to get me another tank, as I sure as hell did not want that one.

Neither I would not accept a tank up to 120 gallons with black silicon. Imperfections MUST be seen in a tank that large.
That's terrible! Glad you got all the live stock out just in time...

How long did it take for the bubbles to grow? I'm not sure how quickly I can get a replacement made.... And sadly I'm stuck with wood floors.

Unread 08/18/2018, 05:44 PM   #14
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Three months, maybe, maybe six months, not sure.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 05:49 PM   #15
scottwhitson
Registered Member

If you would consider acrylic you have the best acrylic tank manufacturer in the country in your back yard. James at Envision acrylics is awesome. He built a 600 for us and it was flawless.

scottwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 06:09 PM   #16
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwhitson View Post
If you would consider acrylic you have the best acrylic tank manufacturer in the country in your back yard. James at Envision acrylics is awesome. He built a 600 for us and it was flawless.
After reading tons about acrylic the last few days, the comments on this thread, and lots of PMs, I'm definitely going acrylic. I already sent James an email. I'm hoping he can make me a rush tank! I'm only about 20 miles from him.

Unread 08/18/2018, 06:16 PM   #17
scottwhitson
Registered Member

You will not be disappointed. Acrylic does have its drawbacks, if you look at it wrong it will scratch but it can be repaired easily as well.

Unread 08/18/2018, 06:27 PM   #18
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwhitson View Post
You will not be disappointed. Acrylic does have its drawbacks, if you look at it wrong it will scratch but it can be repaired easily as well.
I watched a few videos of in-water repairs and it looks pretty easy.

Unread 08/18/2018, 07:20 PM   #19
Daddi0
Registered Member

I was standing in front of my 55g when the whole front panel came off - WOW! It was an amazing sight that took about a week and many $$$ to clean up. I can't imagine the force of 300g exploding to the floor.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 08/18/2018, 07:26 PM   #20
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

James builds a work of art! I’ve seen two of his tanks and they’re both amazing (280g and 450g). He has years of experience and has contributed countless hours here helping our membership! Great choice

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 07:45 PM   #21
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I was standing in front of my 55g when the whole front panel came off - WOW! It was an amazing sight that took about a week and many $$$ to clean up. I can't imagine the force of 300g exploding to the floor.
Cheers! Mark
WOW! Sorry to hear that... Did you notice any defects in your seams?

Unread 08/18/2018, 07:50 PM   #22
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
WOW! Sorry to hear that... Did you notice any defects in your seams?
Didn't even look before I filled it. When I contacted the seller he said he had used it for a couple years as a small green house for pot seedlings and he just assumed it still held water.

Unread 08/20/2018, 09:28 PM   #23
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
James builds a work of art! I’ve seen two of his tanks and they’re both amazing (280g and 450g). He has years of experience and has contributed countless hours here helping our membership! Great choice
Just met James today! Such a nice guy. Gave me tons of tips. Drew out a diagram of the tank and had some great suggestions for me. I can't wait to get the new tank. Very honest guy too. I would definitely recommend him to anyone just based upon his knowledge, seeing his shop, and meeting him.

Unread 08/20/2018, 11:17 PM   #24
scottwhitson
Registered Member

Yeah he was awesome to work with on our 600 we had him build. I designed a movable overflow box and he was more than willing to build it for us. Great guy.

Unread 08/21/2018, 09:31 AM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'm afraid these threads always bring out the alarmists ...... Every glass tank I ever had has some bubbles in the silicone seams. OK, yes, it could fail tomorrow; but it could also last for another decade. No way to know definitively. If it were my tank, I'd just monitor the bubbles. If they get larger over time, THEN you have a problem. Assume this tank was new when you got it. My standard position is to never buy a large used tank ..... never.

BTW, you are correct that on a DiY stand, any warranty is void so hopefully it was made well. I think bad stands are more responsible for large tank failures than everything else.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marineland deep dimension