Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 08:48 PM   #1
killab7.bh
Registered Member

HELP...abandoned predator tank, need help saving them.

Neighbor abandoned tank containing an eel, lionfish, starfish & 3 to 4 other plus rocks & coral. Was guided to transfer the fish out from tank into tote containers cleaned with vinegar and water & place original pumps into totes. After putting some water from the tank in the totes to acclimate the fish, I drained 90% of water from tank leaving gravel & shells in tank. My question is should I completely empty & clean the tank before beginning the process of returning them to the tank or just fill it with water in its current condition in which algae is present?
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

killab7.bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:05 AM   #2
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

pictures

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:14 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

So you are essentially doing a 90% water change, just treat it as that.

If the tank has been empty for any period of time, you will probably experience some sort of die-off and/or nitrogen cycle. Watch ammonia levels like a hawk, and do water changes and use Prime as needed.

I (captain hindsight) would have just left the fish in tank and done the large water change.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:54 AM   #4
killab7.bh
Registered Member

Thanks for the insight I would have left them in the tank but they were abandoned and the power was being shut off so I had no choice but to move them out I didn't want to see them die. from all the research I've done this isn't really a process you should be doing overnight but I had no choice and had to move them however they seem to be doing okay in their temporary set up I've made from totes.

Unread 09/18/2018, 02:01 PM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Ah. I see.

I would fill the tank now, acclimate the fish to it, add fish, and watch ammonia.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 09/18/2018, 02:06 PM   #6
killab7.bh
Registered Member

I'm very green and new to this when you say watch the ammonia how would I do that do I need to buy some kind of test

Unread 09/18/2018, 03:34 PM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Yes, there are ammonia test kits. There are also ammonia alert badges, but some folks don't seem to trust them.

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Akram
Registered Member

Agreed with nereefpat

Akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 11:23 AM   #9
killab7.bh
Registered Member

Can someone tell me what the function of this apparatus is as I said before I'm green and learning also I'm trying to figure out if this tank has a heater what that would look like I don't believe it does unless that's what this is there's two of those in the tank I want to put my fish back in but i don't want to shock them

Unread 09/19/2018, 11:25 AM   #10
killab7.bh
Registered Member

The neighbor that had abandoned these fish didn't take care of them it looks like at all I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing I'm using what components he had there I haven't bought any kind of Motors or accessories other than a Master test kit

Unread 09/19/2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Foundry
Registered Member

The item in your photo is a 'power head' and is a simple prop based pump used to add circulation to the water. Circulation is needed to ensure water movement and surface agitation to elicit 'gas exchange' between the water and the atmosphere.

Fancy way of saying its a pump which moves the water about, point it towards the surface of the tank to agitate the surface layer to add oxygen to the water.

Foundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 11:49 AM   #12
killab7.bh
Registered Member

Thank you I'm still trying to figure out if the water is too cold for my fish I took over an abandoned tank I've got it set up in my house I'm trying to get the levels in the water correct but the components that were with the abandoned tank don't seem to have a heater and I know for a fact that they've been that way for at least 3 months because he didn't do anything to it I'm a little hesitant to put the fish in because I don't want to shock them

Unread 09/19/2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Foundry
Registered Member

Is there a heater in your holding tank?

What is your typical room temp? Heaters can be picked up on the cheaper end, even used if absolutely needed. Used heaters are typically avoided as a damaged or run away heater can 'boil' the fish.

Reach out to your local fish store for support, they'll be more then happy to help out and sell some goods.

Foundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 01:56 PM   #14
killab7.bh
Registered Member

I normally keep my house at about 72. some of the research and reading that I've done other people that live in the Southeast region say a heater isn't always necessary. there is an aquarium store not too far from me so I will definitely do that

Unread 09/19/2018, 01:58 PM   #15
killab7.bh
Registered Member

I don't believe there is a heater in the holding tank I'm not sure what would I be looking for?

Unread 09/19/2018, 02:04 PM   #16
killab7.bh
Registered Member

These are the only peices of equipment I have currently I'm hoping they'll be okay to get me through the next couple of pay days until I can afford to invest a little more into them like I said they were abandoned by a guy that didn't take care of them and they were surviving so I'm just wondering if I'm worrying a little too much about it

Unread 09/19/2018, 09:07 PM   #17
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Where are you located? You may have a local reef club that can assist you with the tank. Also, if money is tight hit Walmart in the pet section for an aquarium thermometer.

So, right off the bat the lights probably won’t support most corals. Are they led or do they take bulbs?

The filter on the back isn’t really made for saltwater and he likely just used to because it would filter out food particles from the messy eating the predators do. Most of your filter is biological and done by the bacteria inside of the rocks. Though it will be almost impossible to have a standard clean up crew depending on the fish. Is there anything inside the filter? Also it will provide surface agitation for gas exchange so I would point the pumps towards the rockwork to get some flow in there.

If you can take measurements of the tank and take pictures of all of the livestock, we can identify it for you and tell you the water volume.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 10:25 AM   #18
killab7.bh
Registered Member

Thanks everybody that gave me good insight all my fish seem to be doing pretty good other than my starfish which I'm not sure I think it died I'm a little sad about that but I guess that's part of it after building a stand for my tank I'm pretty happy with my results

Thanks

Unread 09/21/2018, 12:03 PM   #19
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Looks like you have a Volutan or Russell’s lionfish. It’s hard to tell because it has serious stress coloration going on at the moment. The dioxins shaped fish in the first pic is a Huma Picasso triggerfish. I can’t make out any other fish in the tank. Starfish usually disentegrate pretty quickly when dead. I can see it on the right draped on the rock so it may be in shock or dying, but if it’s not falling apart you may have a chance.

How are you measuring salinity? What is your salinity? What are you feeding? Are there more fish I missed?

Unread 09/21/2018, 12:10 PM   #20
killab7.bh
Registered Member

The only other one is a pinfish I don't know how to measure the salinity is there a meter or test and how would I combat that?

Unread 09/21/2018, 12:14 PM   #21
killab7.bh
Registered Member

He's eating three live shrimp today I went to the bait store he's been in the tank for 2 days normally during the day he stays at the bottom but at night he swims around the top

Unread 09/21/2018, 12:40 PM   #22
killab7.bh
Registered Member

I also have a eel he usually doesn't come out until the night time and he has no problem telling me when he's hungry

Unread 09/21/2018, 01:14 PM   #23
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Most accurate way that is somewhat affordable is with a salinity refractometer. It is a handheld device with a prism you place water on and can read the salt level in the water. You can also buy a swing arm hydrometer or even a thermometer that is a hydrometer for cheaper, but these aren’t as accurate. You want to keep you salinity level between 1.024 and 1.026. You control this with water top offs. Keep in mind that the salt does not evaporate from the tank like water does. As water evaporates the salt concentration in the water rises until it is topped off with freshwater to dilute it back to what it should be at. If your salinity is too high you bring it down over the period of a few days by taking water out and replacing it with freshwater. If salinity is too low just top off with saltwater until it gets to the correct level. Once your salinity is correct, always top off with freshwater, never salt.

Unread 09/21/2018, 01:21 PM   #24
killab7.bh
Registered Member

Thank you

Unread 09/21/2018, 02:04 PM   #25
killab7.bh
Registered Member

I found this with the things that were in a box next to the tank this is my third measurement just to make sure obviously I have to add salt