Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Chocobo
Registered Member

45 Gallon Rimless Cobalt C-Vue Build

Hello!

Right now I have a 40 Gallon Breeder with 50 pounds of live rock that I am letting run through the cycle. I will be picking up the Cobalt C-Vue 45 Gallon tank this Thursday or Friday and starting to build it.

Current Build List / Plan:
C-Vue 45 Gallon Tank
C-Vue 45 Stand
3/4" PVC Bean Overflow Setup
3/4" PVC Return
Reef Octopus VarioS-4 DC Return Pump [will be turned down to ~450 GPH]
Skimz UP22 Sumpro Sump
Eshopps S-200 Space Saving G4 Protein Skimmer
Trigger Systems Crystal ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir
2 x VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive Propeller Pump
2 x Kessil A350WE Lights
2 x Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater 300-watt
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off

I have a 42MM Glass hole saw on the way to drill the C-Vue 45 when it gets here but I'm debating drilling the back or the bottom. As the tank will be new / empty I can do either. I will be running 3/4" Schedule 80 PVC and while I think the back would be easiest to drill I'm concerned about supporting the weight of the pipe. I will be running a Bean overflow meaning I'll have one pipe that's full siphon and then my return will also be full of water meaning they'll be quite heavy.

If I go through the bottom of the tank I think I could put a wooden spacer between the back wall and use some pipe hangers to attach them to the spacer to help support the weight. If I go through the back I am thinking I will come back in through the back of the stand and can attach something to the back to hold pipe clamps to support the pipes.

I've never done a sump / cut holes in a tank / plumbed a tank - my first reef tank of a couple of years used all hang-on-back stuff. Admittedly it does all make me nervous that I'll crack/break the glass either while drilling the holes or at some point down the road due to the weight of the pipes.

Here is the current 40 Gallon set-up:

I don't have it arranged in any particular way beyond that I wanted to lay it all out / not stack it just yet. There are prettier/nicer rocks out there for sure but I'm not unhappy with this mix.

I picked this live rock up at a local shop. We're on Day 3 so far so not far in.

Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Chocobo
Registered Member

Actually I'm thinking about building a custom sump to fit the cabinet. I have no experience with it - but I think I'd like to work with Acrylic.

Unread 02/12/2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Chocobo
Registered Member

While I was at the LFS I noticed they have an 85 gallon rimless. The tank itself is nice but the stand looks a bit cheap. It’s $359 for the 85 G rimless.

Unread 02/12/2018, 11:59 PM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

if You haven’t purchase the c vue tank, I’d go for the rimless 85 gallon if it’s reef ready & make a diy stand. Make the 40 to a refugium/sump

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Chocobo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
if You haven’t purchase the c vue tank, I’d go for the rimless 85 gallon if it’s reef ready & make a diy stand. Make the 40 to a refugium/sump
It turns out the 85 Gallon is tempered and can't be drilled . Explains the low price.

I went ahead and ordered a Red Sea Reefer 350. Now the waiting game begins.

Will have the return pump, skimmer, and RO/DI setup here and ready before the tank arrives. I'm trying to think if there's anything else I need before the tank gets here.

Unread 02/13/2018, 07:54 AM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

You can keep & use the ro/di unit & return pump

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Chocobo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
You can keep & use the ro/di unit & return pump
I ordered a Red Sea 425 XL so I’ll make use of both.