Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2012, 07:10 PM   #151
hvacman250
Registered Member

Hey Roger! Long time no talk.

Somebody mentioned tinting the water green vs. light shock. Over the past year I have experimented with just about every scenario possible. My fry survival SKYROCKETED when I stopped dosing phyto to the fry tank and added rotifers as needed. All the light the fry tank gets in the first 7-10 days is ambient light from other tanks.

I no longer tint the water in hopes of the rots breeding in the fry tank and I have went from about 30% survival rate to over 90%. When the rots thin out, I add more, but never have to more than twice per day (usually only in the morning).

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 07:29 PM   #152
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Vs Ponies View Post
Just got finished reading the entire post. I really want my clownfish to breed now! So, do you have better success with laying eggs if the clowns have an anemone in their tank?

Funny you should mention this, because in my pair I have his and her nems not that I planed it that way, it just happen and the original nem split move to the back of the same rock. You would have to see it after lights out how his nems tentacles will lays across the entire egg group on the slate they spawn. He will move from the oral plate of the nem and go and fan the eggs on the slate. She doesn’t seem to care that much about the eggs (but I’m not home all day) until a couple days before hatch.

Do I think a nem is a must no.

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2012, 07:59 PM   #153
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacman250 View Post
Hey Roger! Long time no talk.

Somebody mentioned tinting the water green vs. light shock. Over the past year I have experimented with just about every scenario possible. My fry survival SKYROCKETED when I stopped dosing phyto to the fry tank and added rotifers as needed. All the light the fry tank gets in the first 7-10 days is ambient light from other tanks.

I no longer tint the water in hopes of the rots breeding in the fry tank and I have went from about 30% survival rate to over 90%. When the rots thin out, I add more, but never have to more than twice per day (usually only in the morning).

That’s wonderful Shaun and I’m glad you figure out what your spawn’s needs. Every clutch can be different. I’m not saying that what I’m doing is a recipe for everyone. It’s just worked for me.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/12/2012, 10:53 AM   #154
edandsandy
Registered Member

I just read this entire thread, and I wanted to THANK YOU for taking time to keep us informed on your progress. I have had clowns spawn for years and never even tried to raise the fry.... until now.....Thank you again for your journalism....

Now, I have a couple of questions if I may......

What temperature are you keeping the fry tank?

I think I understand the concept of the rots... however, you mention keep a dense consecration of rots in the fry tank.... Are you adding Phyto to the fry tank and the rots bucket?

Oh, have you ever used a sponge filter in the fry tank?

Thank you!

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2012, 12:07 PM   #155
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by edandsandy View Post
I just read this entire thread, and I wanted to THANK YOU for taking time to keep us informed on your progress. I have had clowns spawn for years and never even tried to raise the fry.... until now.....Thank you again for your journalism....

Now, I have a couple of questions if I may......

What temperature are you keeping the fry tank?

I think I understand the concept of the rots... however, you mention keep a dense consecration of rots in the fry tank.... Are you adding Phyto to the fry tank and the rots bucket?

Oh, have you ever used a sponge filter in the fry tank?

Thank you!
When I set up the hatchery I make sure that temp is the same as the tank the eggs or fry come from depending on weather you move the eggs hatch night or collect the fry after hatch. Then after day 3 I raise the temp to 82, 1 degree per day this will send them into meta quicker. I use Finnex temp controllers on all my tank but IMO it’s a must in the hatchery because thermostats on heater are to unreliable in keep the temp within 1 degree.

The Finnex controller I use is the HC-0810 they are $39 and a great value for the price. If I have the control set say, at 81 when the temp drops to 80 the heater kicks on until it goes back to 81. They are digital read out so at a glance you know what the temp is. Set the tank heater thermostat just slightly higher than the desired temp you want the tank to be.

Yes, I add Phyto to the fry tank but don't over do it.

As for sponge filters no I don’t use them but what I do use when they are pretty much past meta about day 10-11 is a Marina Slim S10 HOB filter. You will see it here, it has a sponge on the power head to keep the fry from get sucked up in the filter.

Hope this helps.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/12/2012, 02:07 PM   #156
edandsandy
Registered Member

YES, you have been very helpful... thank you again....
If I may ask just one more questions

How many days ahead of the fry hatching did you start making your rots?

I have a starter kit of rots from Reed coming in on Wednesday and this clutch will hatch on Thursday or Friday....

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
Unread 08/12/2012, 02:36 PM   #157
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
YES, you have been very helpful... thank you again....
If I may ask just one more questions

How many days ahead of the fry hatching did you start making your rots?

I have a starter kit of rots from Reed coming in on Wednesday and this clutch will hatch on Thursday or Friday....
I like to start mine 3 days before the hatch just to be safe. You are going to need a 50 micron sieve do you have one? You never put the rotifer water in with the fry tank, just the sieve out rots. I will PM you my phone number give me a call. Rotifer care is critical to success and to much to type on there care.

Indiana INDMAS Member

Last edited by Sport507; 08/12/2012 at 02:45 PM.
Unread 08/13/2012, 08:30 AM   #158
edandsandy
Registered Member

Got your PM! THANKS AGAIN!

Unread 08/13/2012, 04:33 PM   #159
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Got your PM! THANKS AGAIN!
You are more than welcome and don't be discouraged if the first try don't pan out for you. Just learn about the rots they are critical to a hatch and keep them going, it’s a little work but not that hard. You will have more fry in 2 weeks.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/13/2012, 05:32 PM   #160
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

This is current and what they look like now. Already sold many to local reefers but now I need get them to the LFS so others can enjoy them as I have. There are in a 40B.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/14/2012, 05:49 AM   #161
edandsandy
Registered Member

They are so beautiful!

Unread 08/14/2012, 09:26 AM   #162
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

They all look so perfect and in good health. How many do you have in this video?

Well I had a 5th spawning event last Friday and the male ate most of the eggs, but this time he left 10. I see him tending to them often, and even the female will tend to them a little too when he lets her. Should I see this as a positive sign? I can already see little eyes in the eggs. I just wish there were 80 eggs and not just 10. I need to get some more info from you on raising rotifers. I know that is one of the keys to being successful.

I still need to remove the 3rd Onyx Clown.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 10:48 AM   #163
westohooligan
Registered Member

Hey solid, how big is said, "3rd onyx clown"?

westohooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:03 PM   #164
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

He's about 2 years old, but very small (1.25" ) and I believe he is still unsexed. The Snow Onyx Clowns are about a year younger, but very dominant compared to him.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 04:59 PM   #165
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
They all look so perfect and in good health. How many do you have in this video?
Well I had a 5th spawning event last Friday and the male ate most of the eggs, but this time he left 10. I see him tending to them often, and even the female will tend to them a little too when he lets her. Should I see this as a positive sign? I can already see little eyes in the eggs. I just wish there were 80 eggs and not just 10. I need to get some more info from you on raising rotifers. I know that is one of the keys to being successful.

I still need to remove the 3rd Onyx Clown.
I have no clue how many there are. Drop by some evening and count them for me. Trying to count large numbers of clowns fish in a tank, is like trying to count fire ants after you step on their mound.

Yes it’s very normal for the male to be the caretaker (at least with my pair) of the clutch as they mature in their spawning life, as for eating the eggs I haven’t had a problem with that but I know others have. I do have a few thoughts though (1 Nature has it way and maybe he didn’t sense that they were fertilized an would fungus (it happens). (2 He could be just getting use to caring for a clutch. (3 If they are spawning in a high flow area maybe the eggs don’t get fertilized properly, clowns will typically pick a spot where that don’t happen. I really don’t know just spit balling here but food for thought.

Now as for my pair, I did notice that early on dad was the only one that gave a chit about the eggs (even in spawn 5 this thread). At this point since they started spawning sometime in February now, she is as crazy about tending the eggs as he is how thoughtful of her. LOL

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/14/2012, 08:51 PM   #166
Carz
Registered Member

Thank You

Sport,

Thank you for your many posts and attention to detail. I started in the hobby in April and have noticed in my hours of reading that so many people lack attention to detail. I believe much of your success is attributed to your patience and attention to detail. I just bought 2 juvenile ocellarus clowns, and look forward to breeding some day.

I have 2 questions: at what age do clowns possibly begin to breed? And have you tried breeding some of the rarer, more expensive clown varieties, what is the success like?

Thanks again

Carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 09:38 PM   #167
AliciaP
Registered Member

I also have a question. How can I push my clowns into spawning? They have been together for 2 years. They share a 120gallon tank with a few other fish. They act paired, but don't lay eggs. Once I saw the male going crazy trying to clean the clay pot near their home, but nothing ever came of it. I watch for her to drop the egg laying thing (no idea what that little thing is called) but she never has. Any ideas to get them at it?

AliciaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2012, 07:21 PM   #168
hvacman250
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaP View Post
I also have a question. How can I push my clowns into spawning? They have been together for 2 years. They share a 120gallon tank with a few other fish. They act paired, but don't lay eggs. Once I saw the male going crazy trying to clean the clay pot near their home, but nothing ever came of it. I watch for her to drop the egg laying thing (no idea what that little thing is called) but she never has. Any ideas to get them at it?
Its called an ovipositor.

There is really nothing you can do that guarantees a spawn, but here are some things you can try:

Up your water temp (I run my breeder tanks at 83-84*). Flood the tank with newly hatched brine shrimp (simulates a plankton bloom). Feed them well and often. My tanks are fed 4 times a day minimum with a variety of food. Lastly is hard, but if you can get some eggs from a local breeder, put the eggs in with them and most of the time it kicks them into "parenting" mode.

This is all speculative, of course, that your clowns are sexually mature. I wouldnt even get antsy until the female was at least 2.5-3 yrs old.

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 11:12 AM   #169
Freddie83
Registered Member

Wow, incredible job OP. Did you get any misbar/snowflake/platinum?

Freddie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2012, 03:34 PM   #170
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
Sport,

Thank you for your many posts and attention to detail. I started in the hobby in April and have noticed in my hours of reading that so many people lack attention to detail. I believe much of your success is attributed to your patience and attention to detail. I just bought 2 juvenile ocellarus clowns, and look forward to breeding some day.

I have 2 questions: at what age do clowns possibly begin to breed? And have you tried breeding some of the rarer, more expensive clown varieties, what is the success like?

Thanks again
Thank for the kind words about my thread, yes details matter and I tried to show them best I could.

1) I think it kind of depends on the species and if they are will feed and feel safer and established in their tank. 2) No I have not tried breeding the more expensive clown varieties yet.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you before now I'm not ignoring you. Just been busy with hours at work.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/25/2012, 01:39 AM   #171
SaraRedaelli
Registered Member

Hi Sport, superjob! I follow you from italy. I'm going to start trying to' breed blennies and i've found different very interesting info here in your work! Complimenti!

SaraRedaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2012, 03:06 PM   #172
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraRedaelli View Post
Hi Sport, superjob! I follow you from italy. I'm going to start trying to' breed blennies and i've found different very interesting info here in your work! Complimenti!

Thank you so much Sara.

It’s a nice feeling to know someone watched my thread from an old Indiana farm boy, almost a half world away. I wish you the best with your blenny project. Please let me know how that works out for you. They are truly intriguing fish.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/26/2012, 05:36 PM   #173
edandsandy
Registered Member

Good evening Sport,
Just wanted to give you an update, my clowns spawned tonight and my rotifers are being delivered tomorrow so I'm going to give this batch a try... Wish me luck!

Unread 08/27/2012, 07:24 PM   #174
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Good evening Sport,
Just wanted to give you an update, my clowns spawned tonight and my rotifers are being delivered tomorrow so I'm going to give this batch a try... Wish me luck!
It was nice talking to you on the phone awhile back and now you have rotifer in plenty of time for the hatch. Best of luck but knowledge is the key.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 08/30/2012, 04:34 PM   #175
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

One of the last videos.

Well guys, it time to move these beautiful fish on to new home I know Premium wants some and another local store is very interested.

I will still be right here to help anyone at any time.

Indiana INDMAS Member