Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

How to remove a snowflake eel

So I made the mistake of getting a snowflake eel with smaller fish. He is starting to become aggressive and will snap at smaller fish and my large foxface. He is causing the fish in the tank a lot of stress lately especially fox-face who has now become paranoid and will almost guard the eels cave to make sure he does not come out. so that is why I need to remove him. Now for the question how can I do so without destroying the tank? I have tried a net but he recognizes it and will run at the first sight of it. The tank is 90 gallons and is a little over a foot long and is currently in a 90 gallon tank. I plan to move him into a ten gallon for a few weeks till my 40 is ready. I plan to use the 40 as his own personal home. Any suggestions on how to remove him is much appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blizzard 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 09:45 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Get a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut the end off so the hole is just large enough for the eel to fit in. Drill a hole near the end and add a long string that is tied to the bottle. Add some sand to act as weight, fill it with water and put a good sized strip of squid in the bottle. Then submerge bottle and place it on the bottom around feeding time. It might help to not feed it for a day so it’s extra hungry. The eel will find it’s way into the bottle and when it does, pull the bottle out by the string. Make sure you have a bucket with some tank water in it near by and a lid for he bucket.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks will definitely try this tonight. It is impossible to catch him with a net. Thanks

Unread 11/08/2017, 09:59 AM   #4
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

Bottle traps work for everything. Helped me get out a troublesome wrasse.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:15 AM   #5
smatter
Registered Member

If the bottle doesn't work a tiny hook with the barb crimped works. I've removed a few eels from other peoples tanks this way that started out cute and pencil-sized. Too bad they don't stay that way.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yeah I have heard of people using hooks but I don’t want to hurt him. I plan on still keeping him in his own tank. If it has to come to that point I will try that as a last resort or if the trap dose not work. Seems weird to fish for fish in your own tank. Thanks

Unread 11/08/2017, 10:56 AM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

If it's anything like the Eel I had for many years (25), just leave the lid off for about 10 minutes and it'll find it's own way out. They are easy to catch when they are on the floor - even my 4' Undulated.

or use the bottle trap.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 11:16 AM   #8
smatter
Registered Member

^^^lol^^^

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yeah he has jumped before. I think I will try the bottle first but if needed my try that also and wait for him to jump. Did your eel survive? Was him jumping out a accident or were you trying to get him out? Thanks for suggestion

Unread 11/08/2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Cmethorst
Registered Member

I used a chunk of shrimp in a 2 L bottle no cutting just the bottle. Pulled the bottle as soon as he went in.

Cmethorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yeah I tried the bottle tonight with silversides in it one of his favorites. Did not work he almost went in but decided not to. I don’t think he was really hungry tonight so will try again tomorrow. Will keep it updated. Thanks for all the suggestions I might try shrimp he likes that or squid or maybe a mix of everything. Will see tomorrow thanks.

Unread 11/09/2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Patience Grasshopper.

Unread 11/09/2017, 01:10 PM   #13
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
Yeah I tried the bottle tonight with silversides in it one of his favorites. Did not work he almost went in but decided not to. I don’t think he was really hungry tonight so will try again tomorrow. Will keep it updated. Thanks for all the suggestions I might try shrimp he likes that or squid or maybe a mix of everything. Will see tomorrow thanks.

Leave the bottle in there without food so he can get used to it. Then when it's feeding time, add the food.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/09/2017, 06:21 PM   #14
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Oh that’s a good idea I will leave it without food over night thanks for suggestion. He was very close earlier today and almost went in. Very frustrating. Thanks will be patient and leave it in with no food all night and tomorrow to get him used to it. I have not been feeding him couple nights should I continue.

Unread 11/09/2017, 07:12 PM   #15
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah he has jumped before. I think I will try the bottle first but if needed my try that also and wait for him to jump. Did your eel survive? Was him jumping out a accident or were you trying to get him out? Thanks for suggestion

Hannibal escaped twice in 25 years. The first time I had eggcrate on top but that didn't even slow him down. I found him on the floor pretty much dried up. Nudged him with my foot and his mouth opened, so I plopped him in the tank and then went to work. When I came home 12+ hours later, he was swimming around like nothing had happened, but ended up with a nasty fungal infection on his front 1/3 (at the time, he was about 24" long) He didn't eat until it cleared up a few weeks later. I then used large pieces of dry rock on all the corners to keep the eggcrate in place.

The 2nd escape was when I was trying to catch him to move to a new house. Apparently he didn't want to leave. Picking up 4' of ****ed off Eel was no fun! I recommend a good pair of heavy leather work gloves and a 5g bucket to stuff his head into. Got him into a 32g rubbermaid and made the trip to the new place without incident. Got a fungal thing again, this time it was about 4 or 5 months before he'd eat again. After that, it was back to his 4 large fillets weekly from krogers seafood counter until he died about 10 years later.

Eels, at least IME, are quite resilient. Just because it might look dead on the floor doesn't mean a thing unless the dog has already eaten half.

Keep trying with the bottle - it may take a week or more, but that will be your best bet.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 11/09/2017, 07:35 PM   #16
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks will keep doing bottle. Your eel must have been very interesting and big it seems. When my jumped I left a small gap in back of tank which he got out of. Was very small then only 7 inches I just picked him up and threw him back in and he was fine. And yes these eels are very hardy it seems. I will keep up with bottle and get him comfortable with it these next few days will keep this updated as I do so.

Unread 11/10/2017, 07:53 PM   #17
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

So I tried again tonight after leaving bottle in last night and all today so he can get used to it. Tried shrimp and squid tonight. He did eat one piece of shrimp which I was trying to Lure him out with so I know he is hungry. Well long story short he did not take interest in the bottle. I don’t if this is normal wait time. I might try a hook with no barb soon. He is staring to get more aggressive every day it seems.

Unread 11/10/2017, 10:21 PM   #18
thomashtom
Registered Member

Quote:
So I made the mistake of getting a snowflake eel with smaller fish. He is starting to become aggressive and will snap at smaller fish and my large foxface. He is causing the fish in the tank a lot of stress lately especially fox-face who has now become paranoid and will almost guard the eels cave to make sure he does not come out. so that is why I need to remove him. Now for the question how can I do so without destroying the tank? I have tried a net but he recognizes it and will run at the first sight of it. The tank is 90 gallons and is a little over a foot long and is currently in a 90 gallon tank. I plan to move him into a ten gallon for a few weeks till my 40 is ready. I plan to use the 40 as his own personal home. Any suggestions on how to remove him is much appreciated thanks.
fish trap might work. they sell them on bulk reef supply

thomashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 11:27 PM   #19
alanbetiger
Registered Member

Do you have enough storage for all your water?
If so drain your whole tank down to sand level and dig a few shallow spots in the sand by its burrow. Then refill the tank.

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 02:39 AM   #20
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

I would say just keep on trying with the bottle until he gets really comfortable with it. But from the sounds of it your fish are about done with him lol.

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:28 AM   #21
billdogg
Registered Member

in this picture, he's maybe 30"

and here he is again sever years later. He wouldn't fit in a bottle.

Unread 11/11/2017, 08:59 AM   #22
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
in this picture, he's maybe 30"

and here he is again sever years later. He wouldn't fit in a bottle.
You know, that image right there is why I will probably never own a eel I've always wanted a small one in my reef. Had the urge many a time now. This right here I need to print and post it near my tank has a reminder. That and of course a 14 footer I once saw while diving.

Of course I know the lads snowflake is much smaller but still Anyway to the OP. Just wait it out. Rome wasn't built in a day they say. You have plenty of time and it will be out before you know it.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:46 AM   #23
slief
RC Sponsor

It might help to poke some small holes in the bottle. That will allow a bit of flow through the bottle which will help the smell from the bait lure it in better.

Unread 11/11/2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions I guess I will keep trying. Last night the eel had enough of the foxface guarding his cave and snapped at him luckily no bite. The foxface swam off and the eel went cruising around the whole tank causing all the other fish to move to opposite end of the tank that the eel was at. And wow what a magnificent eel with the blue eyes. I like the picture of the two cleaner shrimp cleaning the giant eel. I am also glad my eel should max out around two feet at least not that big I am also glad I didn’t get a white mouth moray instead of this little guy.I guess I will keep trying with the bottle. I can’t really drain the tank because cannot hold all the water. I will try making some holes so the smell can get out. Perhaps he doesn’t even realize food is the bottle. Well Amy way thanks for all the help and suggestions. Will keep updating on him thanks again.

Unread 11/12/2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

So update on the eel. He is still avoiding bottle no matter what I do. He keeps coming out and trying to hunt the fish it seems. He will swim by and snap at them and keep swimming. Me and the fish have had it with him. I think I might try the hook tommorow before he actually catches one of the fish.
Here is my foxface making sure the eel does not cause any more trouble. He is kind of the like the sherif of the tank it seems.