Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Refugium upgrade

I want to upgrade my refugium. I currently have a 125 g DT with a 36 g trigger systems ruby sump. I have a 20 g tank that I would like to use as a refugium. I plan to drill either one or two 2” hole in the sump and 20g tank and attach them. I’m not sure how I want to connect them yet though. I would appreciate help with that. My next question is if I should have one of the overflows go straight into that refugium or if I should leave them where they are. If I didn’t have one going straight in I would use a power head to make sure that water moves into the refugium. Any suggestions are welcome. I can’t have the refugium next to the return pump because that is where the ATO is. The only open area is next to the overflow area. How does this plan sound?

Newreefer125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 04:57 PM   #2
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newreefer125 View Post
I want to upgrade my refugium. I currently have a 125 g DT with a 36 g trigger systems ruby sump. I have a 20 g tank that I would like to use as a refugium. I plan to drill either one or two 2” hole in the sump and 20g tank and attach them. I’m not sure how I want to connect them yet though. I would appreciate help with that. My next question is if I should have one of the overflows go straight into that refugium or if I should leave them where they are. If I didn’t have one going straight in I would use a power head to make sure that water moves into the refugium. Any suggestions are welcome. I can’t have the refugium next to the return pump because that is where the ATO is. The only open area is next to the overflow area. How does this plan sound?

Check out this forum. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...en-274201.html Geoff has a lot of experience, and tons of info on refugiums. Fuges aren't always the best option, depending on your use for them. Maybe this will help you decide for sure if you want or do not want a fuge, and better understand the methods (or lack thereof) behind them. I'm no chemist or genius like Geoff, but from what I understand, fuges are becoming similar to the DSB idea. A trend that has come, and should be going. There are better and more natural means of nutrient export.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 05:02 PM   #3
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
There are better and more natural means of nutrient export.
Like what?

Nothing more natural then a fuge. Most of the very successful pro's still use chaeto and a fuge.

I use an ATS currently and have had a fuge and may go back.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 05:04 PM   #4
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newreefer125 View Post
I have a 20 g tank that I would like to use as a refugium. I plan to drill either one or two 2” hole in the sump and 20g tank and attach them.
Perfect.

Best way is gravity fed with a durso built in the tank itself, use a gate valve on input for a very slow flow into fuge.

Durso controls height and is fool proof. Best thing is it is free less lighting being gravity fed.

Unread 11/18/2017, 01:23 PM   #5
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Like what?

Nothing more natural then a fuge. Most of the very successful pro's still use chaeto and a fuge.

I use an ATS currently and have had a fuge and may go back.

Agreed, many people still do use them and have success. WCs are a means of export. Oh and ah, bacteria....

Now I am not a biologist, so take my words with a grain of salt. Just telling what I have heard some of the experts say, and I might be saying it wrong. If you want to talk to the guy in the other forum thats the expert, I can hook ya up.

But, most fuges are not natural in terms of what we are keeping. For example, most macros arent found near SPS. Essentially, a fuge is fixing the nutrient problem in a tank of corals which are not natural found with that type of water chem.

I think this topic is actually answered in that thread if you read deep enough.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 01:56 PM   #6
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
I think this topic is actually answered in that thread if you read deep enough.
I disagree with his opinion. In that he addresses "well" his preferred methods of balancing a systems biology. There are other successful methods.

It is not answered fully, it is only addressed by his personal opinion. This is just one educated guy with a personal opinion. He is pro BB and anti DSB. I disagree to the point of being Pro BB and DSB as there are more then one way of skinning this export "cat" so to speak. He chooses and promotes one of many. Today both of those methods are used with success.

He addresses what algae can and cannot do, but he definitely does not make a a good case against using a fuge, he only repeats water changes and detritus cleanup as really addressing the problem in a better way before it breaks down. But no one is really argues that is wrong. That is correct.

Regardless of the positive benefit of good detritus removal and water changes, removing the bound N and P even if late to the game is overall a positive thing. I do agree it is only part of a long term strategic method of exporting negative nutrients before and after bacteria process said nutrients.

ATS, chaeto, macro fuge are all positive methods of harvesting bound P and N, they factually are not a negative.

Unread 11/18/2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Thank you to everyone for the responses! I’m definetly going to be adding the fuge. I’m more concerned over the best way to do it.

Newreefer125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refugium, refugium advice, refugium flow, sump and refugium, sump design