Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2017, 11:37 PM   #1
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

I think di resin running out to fast- help

my tap is 450 to 500 tds. After sediment carbon and 2x75 membrane its 5-6 tds. But after di its still 1-2 tds with both inline and handheld.
Im only getting about 55-60 psi.

I just replaced within last 1.5 months all filters membranes and di resin. Ive only made about 150-200 gallon. I think im supposed to be getting many more gallons of 0tds after di resin when its only 5-6 tds going into di resin. I use flush kit for about 2 min befor and after every use.

Any ideas ?

Wagonpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 12:45 AM   #2
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Position your DI housing in a vertical position with the RO water entering at the bottom,,, so the water flow is up. This stops channeling.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 06:04 AM   #3
ReefNomad
Registered Member

Something else is up, if you are seeing 5-6 TDS after two membranes... I wonder, what sort of flow restrictor are you using?

ReefNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 06:54 AM   #4
GQuinn
Registered Member

We need more information. City or well water? Well water with high CO2 levels will burn thru resin. When you say 2X75 membrane, are you going thru one 75 gpd membrane then the second? We also need to know more information on your ro/di unit.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

Twinfalls are you saying put canister upside down?

I dont know about flow restrictor. . I dont know where it is or if there is one.

City water
Brs 4 stage 150 gpd plus water saver
.5 sediment, 1 micron chloromine carbon, 1 75gpd membrane, another 75gpd membrane, finally di resin.
thats how water moves through system

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonpitt View Post
Twinfalls are you saying put canister upside down?
Yes

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Ideas? Sure... I have a million of them! Feel free to give us a call when you are in front of your system if you want help troubleshooting it.

Emily

Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

hi emily thanks for the offer but i think ive got it figurd out. When i went to replace the di resin i noticed that i could easily squeeze it and shake it and the di resin was tossing around. It was my first time ever refilling di cartirdge and even though i tapped and packed with beer bottle and watever else i read about obviously i did not pack it in enough and there must have been chaneling on the inside. So far im only about 100g with new resin so i still dont know for sure if that was my problem but im keeping track of approx how much water i make and how fast it runs out with this prepackaged di resin. I also appreciate you willing to help even though its a differnent brand unit. If i have any problems ill definetly keep it in mind. Thanks again

Unread 12/04/2017, 09:44 PM   #9
outy
Moved On

First I would never recommend 2 membranes unless you have them separated. definitely do not run the waste water of one into feed the other, unless, you have low TDS. You have high TDS so you could be feeding your second membrane much higher TDS then you started with.

You may need to run dual large DI reactors, the little ones wont cut it for you.

Last, you may want to run nuclear grade mixed bed resin, which is close to the same price as regular resin, its juts a much higher grade cleaning better.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote