Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2018, 04:18 PM   #1
ant123mon
Registered Member

water flow wave makers

I have been wondering about water flow I search all up and down and don't really get any definite answers to my questions. I also realize there isn't a one size fits all answer. I guess Ill take a stab at it though asking, Currently I have a 140 gallon frag tank that is 6ft long 24in deep 18in high, I have 2 of the apex wave makers connected to the apex 2016, also have 2 gyre3k wavemakers. So currently I have the 2 apex wav makers mounted probably around 6inches deep. 1 on the overflow and one on the backside of the tank in the corner 6in deep. I have one of the 3k gyre wavemakers in the corner of the overflow vertical basically crashing into the little live rock, I do have which is all in the corner and leaning against the overflow (35lbs) the other gyre 3k wav maker is about half way down the glass opposite side of overflow.
1. I have my apex wav makers on pipeline mod. I'm not sure if this is a good mode for them. And should change the percentage of power/flow and modes through different times of the day and night.
2. what a good setting for the 3k gyre wav makers.
3. should I change the placement of wav makers.
4. also what is to much flow. when I see frag plugs slidding down the rack that are not fitted in the rack. It makes me think to much flow.

I kind have seen where people want like a rocking motion of the corals tentacles.

ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 12:13 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

What types of coral are you keeping in the tank? If it's all SPS you are going to want a lot of flow throughout the tank but if you are keeping a mix of SPS and softies the softies will do better with some areas of somewhat lower flow. Overall you certainly have plenty of water movement capacity, so flow is going to be dependent on what types of corals you keep. Directly in from of your WAV pumps may be no grow zones, the flow is going to be too strong. I wouldn't go with over 100 times your display tank (14000 gph) in total flow even with all SPS. On my 120 I have my WAV pumps set to Malibu 30% at night, switch to Mavericks during the day. During the day I ramp up to 90% for 1/2 hour, ramp down to 60% and then ramp up to another 1/2 hour at 90% before ramping down to 30%.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote