Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2017, 03:38 PM   #1
tpm2477
Registered Member

RBTA appearance

I know this is always a hot button topic, but I figured I'd put it out there since it has been on my mind ever since I bought the animal. So I recently bought an RBTA at Reef a Palooza. When I bought it I examined it for a long time and it was and still is very healthy. I put it in the tank and it found a spot and hasn't moved since. Awesome! As time moved on i noticed that when the whites are on for daylight the base or disc of the new would bulge more than the tentacles giving it an odd appearance to what I am normally used to. And this is only when the white lights are on. When the blues are on only, the disc retracts and all you see are the tentacles, which I know to be more of a normal appearance. I will post a pic of what I am talking about. My lighting is 2 LED box lights at 165W per box over a 55 gallon tank, 48" long. each box lights 24" inches of tank and that are brand new.
Parameters:
nitrate- 10
nitrite- 0
ammonia-0
pH- 8.0
salinity- 1.025

The tank is full of temperamental coral that generally tell me if something is off with the water quality. I don't think it is that, but hey you never know. Now from my experience, the new is healthy, it hasn't moved, it eats when I feed it, (once a week, pieces of krill for color enhancement) and there have been no signs of deterioration, just an odd look to it when the bright lights go on during the day. If anyone has had an anemone that looked like this at any point and you have figured out why, let me know and I'll start trying to fix the problem. My light settings on the box over the new is 40% white 45% blue and I have fooled around with it a bit to see if anything changes. But maybe it needs more light. maybe less.

tpm2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 03:50 PM   #2
tpm2477
Registered Member

Pic of nem

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/c2...6DgpUErkQ=s152

Unread 08/25/2017, 03:53 PM   #3
tpm2477
Registered Member

Sorry about the small pic. It is not letting me upload the pic on here so I had to make it very small. Idk if you can zoom in on it, ill try to get a better pic up soon.

Unread 08/25/2017, 05:01 PM   #4
tpm2477
Registered Member

[IMG]http://i66.*******.com/2zguo7m.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 08/26/2017, 09:13 AM   #5
wrott
Registered Member

I've kept BTAs for many years, if it were mine I would not feed it, leave the light spectrum where it looks happiest and just let it be.
I've seen many clones not survive for unknown reasons, but they will usually start moving a lot before i know it's time to trash them.
So having yours stay in one place is the best sign, pic looks fine. If you had too much light, it would hide behind a rock. If you want to feed it, I'd give freshly thawed scallop in tiny pieces--just a few.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, lighting, rbta