Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2018, 07:24 PM   #2976
cdavmd
Registered Member

Hi, wondering if someone might have the answer to my question. Can the Bubble King DC 130 be used the the RD3 DC pump? I see that the 180 can but I can't seem to find info on its use with the 130.

I am looking for a skimmer to use in my Reefer 425XL and I've been told the 180 is too much for my system and the 130 is a better fit. I really want the skimmer to have a DC pump. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks!
C

cdavmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 09:40 PM   #2977
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavmd View Post
Hi, wondering if someone might have the answer to my question. Can the Bubble King DC 130 be used the the RD3 DC pump? I see that the 180 can but I can't seem to find info on its use with the 130.

I am looking for a skimmer to use in my Reefer 425XL and I've been told the 180 is too much for my system and the 130 is a better fit. I really want the skimmer to have a DC pump. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks!
C
The RD3 cannot be used with the Doube Cone 130. It’s too large. The AC Red Dragon pump is a time proven pump that happens to be a great pump. That said, there may be a variable speed DC style skimmer pump coming out that will work with the Double Cone 130 in the not so distant future but we don’t have details or a release date let alone know what model skimmers will be supported.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 03:49 AM   #2978
cdavmd
Registered Member

Thanks!

cdavmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 03:32 PM   #2979
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

A controllable pump on a skimmer is no necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/11/2018, 06:20 AM   #2980
sensei
Registered Member

Slief,

I have been trying to adjust the water level on my Super Marine but the tube does not let me do a fine adjustment. I just turn it 2 millimiters and the water level rises 10cm and goes to high and skimmer skims to wet.
I am not sure if the wedge shaped tube needs some maintenence so that I could turn it more without having such a drastic rise in water level?? it is so sensitive that it does not let me higher the water level 3 -4 cms, a minimum turn highers the level around 10cm

can you also tell the me were is the recomended water level in the skimmer??

Thanks

Unread 08/11/2018, 01:36 PM   #2981
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Slief,

I have been trying to adjust the water level on my Super Marine but the tube does not let me do a fine adjustment. I just turn it 2 millimiters and the water level rises 10cm and goes to high and skimmer skims to wet.
I am not sure if the wedge shaped tube needs some maintenence so that I could turn it more without having such a drastic rise in water level?? it is so sensitive that it does not let me higher the water level 3 -4 cms, a minimum turn highers the level around 10cm

can you also tell the me were is the recomended water level in the skimmer??

Thanks
The wedge is sensitive. especially when you have it closed too much. If you have a light load in your system, then you might consider setting your sump level to about 9.5" so you can open the wedge up more. Other things that cause the wedge to me too sensitive is running the pump at too high a wattage or salt creep plugging up the venturi port at the nozzle.

Ideally you want to be between 36-40 watts. Between 9-9.5" sump depth and no more than 1/2 closed on the wedge pipe. If you are closing the wedge more than half way, you should raise your sump level. I normally recommend setting the line where bubbles turn to foam at the base of the neck. If you have a light load relative to the skimmer size than you may want to go 1/2" above the part where the cup attaches to the body.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/12/2018, 06:34 AM   #2982
sensei
Registered Member

thanks

Unread 09/02/2018, 02:47 PM   #2983
Fishman UK
Registered Member

Hi

I have owned a supermarine 200 for around 8 weeks and am having trouble dialling it in.

I have a 1,600 litre mixed reef tank, quite heavily stocked. This was a replacement skimmer for my vertex Alpha which broke, and I ended up running my tank without a skimmer for around 6 weeks. Parameters are all fine, apart from nitrates which are around 50 ppt (worryingly high).

The skimmer is in 9 1/4 inches of water and set to 28 watts.

I have just returned from two weeks holiday to very limited skimmate (see Avast collection cup below):

Skimmate.jpg

There was a huge amount of mud like skimmate on the inside surface of the collection cup and top of the lid.

I have cleaned the skimmer and taken the photo below:

Skimmer 1.JPG

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Fishman UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 07:03 PM   #2984
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman UK View Post
Hi

I have owned a supermarine 200 for around 8 weeks and am having trouble dialling it in.

I have a 1,600 litre mixed reef tank, quite heavily stocked. This was a replacement skimmer for my vertex Alpha which broke, and I ended up running my tank without a skimmer for around 6 weeks. Parameters are all fine, apart from nitrates which are around 50 ppt (worryingly high).

The skimmer is in 9 1/4 inches of water and set to 28 watts.

I have just returned from two weeks holiday to very limited skimmate (see Avast collection cup below):

Attachment 395298

There was a huge amount of mud like skimmate on the inside surface of the collection cup and top of the lid.

I have cleaned the skimmer and taken the photo below:

Attachment 395299

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
How many fish do you have and what size?

Run it a bit more wet. That will increase the skimmate production. The fact that you had the mud like stuff in the cup and on the lid is a sign that it’s working fairly well. You just may want to run it more wet to reduce the buildup on the lid and increase the liquid in the collection device.

Do you have the ozone port capped off on the pump? If not, I would cap that off so it’s not drawing water through the port. I don’t think that is your issue but it will help generate a bit more air intake though the venturi. That or connect the red ozone tube and zip tie it to the wedge pipe as that will also increase air intake. I think you just need to do some fine tuning. You can increase the pump speed a bit. Bump it to 30 watts and see what that does. Then try 32 watts. That will make it run a bit more wet or close the wedge pipe some which will also make it run a bit more wet. If you bump the speed up, you may need to open the wedge a bit or even lower the sump level depending on how much your wedge pipe is opened or closed.

Last edited by slief; 09/02/2018 at 07:09 PM.
Unread 09/03/2018, 12:32 AM   #2985
Fishman UK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
How many fish do you have and what size?

Run it a bit more wet. That will increase the skimmate production. The fact that you had the mud like stuff in the cup and on the lid is a sign that it’s working fairly well. You just may want to run it more wet to reduce the buildup on the lid and increase the liquid in the collection device.

Do you have the ozone port capped off on the pump? If not, I would cap that off so it’s not drawing water through the port. I don’t think that is your issue but it will help generate a bit more air intake though the venturi. That or connect the red ozone tube and zip tie it to the wedge pipe as that will also increase air intake. I think you just need to do some fine tuning. You can increase the pump speed a bit. Bump it to 30 watts and see what that does. Then try 32 watts. That will make it run a bit more wet or close the wedge pipe some which will also make it run a bit more wet. If you bump the speed up, you may need to open the wedge a bit or even lower the sump level depending on how much your wedge pipe is opened or closed.

Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

I have around 40 fish, including 5 large tangs and two triggers. The rest and medium to small sized.

I have taken a picture of the wedge - how far open is this?

I have increased the speed to 40 and will let you know how this goes.

Rob

Fishman UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 08:52 AM   #2986
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman UK View Post
Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

I have around 40 fish, including 5 large tangs and two triggers. The rest and medium to small sized.

I have taken a picture of the wedge - how far open is this?

I have increased the speed to 40 and will let you know how this goes.

Rob

Sounds good. One other thing to check is the venturi port where the hose connects to the pumps nozzle. Salt tends to build up in there restricting air intake. I clean mine every month or so by removing the nozzle and and cleaning the salt buildup using a small screw driver to chip the dried salt and calcium out of the venturi port. The first post of this thread shows extreme buildup in the port and discusses routine mainenance on the RD3 pump. Post 2 is not relevant to the RD3 and only applies to the RD1.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406

Unread 10/09/2018, 08:46 PM   #2987
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

I have my DC150 about 15mm deeper in the water than max recommended. I seem to get best operation this wat with the pump nozzle screwed out about 10mm

Is this strange? Should I worry about it?

Unread 10/10/2018, 10:43 AM   #2988
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellul View Post
I have my DC150 about 15mm deeper in the water than max recommended. I seem to get best operation this wat with the pump nozzle screwed out about 10mm

Is this strange? Should I worry about it?

Nothing to worry about there. There is no spot on the nozzle that works for every tank. Each tank is different which is why the nozzle is adjustable. So keep it where it’s at if it’s working well for you. The deeper the sump, the more the nozzle would need to be opened as well so I’m not surprised that you have it out that far. That just reduces water flow into the skimmer and increase air which in turn lowers the water level inside the skimmer and helps compensate for the deeper sump level.

Unread 01/17/2019, 11:13 AM   #2989
jackthehat
Registered Member

Ideal Red Dragon nozzle adjustment.

Hi there

apologies if this has been covered before but this a very long thread. I run a BK supermarin 250 with the red dragon 2000 pump.

I'm trying to find out from owners of this skimmer who have done some testing and know what is the "sweet spot" to unwind the nozzle to to achieve best air flow into the skimmer.

Some people seem to say wind it all the way in and then wind out between one to one and half turns for best air intake but line the dots up - I think if you line the dots up you will be either under one turn or over 1.5 turns if that makes sense

The manual seems to say wind it out one to one and half turns and the dots are only there for reference points and doesn't seem to indicate they need to be lined up.

can someone advise who knows what the sweet spot is for best air intake so I can just set the nozzle right and stop playing with it?

I do intend to block up the ozone port this weekend to also help with extra air intake.

thanks in advance for any help!

thanks Jack

jackthehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 11:29 AM   #2990
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat View Post
Hi there

apologies if this has been covered before but this a very long thread. I run a BK supermarin 250 with the red dragon 2000 pump.

I'm trying to find out from owners of this skimmer who have done some testing and know what is the "sweet spot" to unwind the nozzle to to achieve best air flow into the skimmer.

Some people seem to say wind it all the way in and then wind out between one to one and half turns for best air intake but line the dots up - I think if you line the dots up you will be either under one turn or over 1.5 turns if that makes sense

The manual seems to say wind it out one to one and half turns and the dots are only there for reference points and doesn't seem to indicate they need to be lined up.

can someone advise who knows what the sweet spot is for best air intake so I can just set the nozzle right and stop playing with it?

I do intend to block up the ozone port this weekend to also help with extra air intake.

thanks in advance for any help!

thanks Jack
Every tank is different. Fish load, dissolved organic levels, surface tension in the water, the amount of dissolved o2 in the water and sump level all play a role in the best setting so what is ideal for one will not be ideal for the next. I always suggest starting at about 1.5 turns out from fully closed. Let it run for a bit than make tiny adjustments to the nozzle opening it a little bit at a time and let it run for a little while to see how the skimmers foam head responds. It helps to take a sharpie pen and mark a line on the top of the nozzle in the fully closed position so you have a visual point of reference as to where the nozzle is in terms of turns out. It also helps to take notes. You want to open it enough that you get the most dense foam possible. Once you get it close, a fraction of a turn can make a big difference. if it's open too little, you won't get a much of a foam head. Open it too much and you will end up with fast rising larger bubbles that continually burst at the surface. You are aiming for as thick and dense of foam as possible but also keep in mind that the skimmer can only produce foam when there is enough dissolved organics to fill the neck with foam. In the absence of enough dissolved organics, you make bubbles and not good foam and you end up with inconsistency. So you need to experiment a bit as you are fine tuning the skimmer for your particular display load. Lastly, since the oils in your skin impact the surface tension of the water, it helps to wear rubber gloves when making those adjustments that way the skimmer doesn't respond adversely to your hands being in the water and instead you will be able to see the response from your adjustments much quicker. Once you find the sweet spot for the nozzle, use the wedge pipe to adjust the level inside the skimmer between wet and dry skimming.

Unread 01/17/2019, 02:04 PM   #2991
jackthehat
Registered Member

Thank you very much sir for your quick response I will follow your instructions. I am starting to feel that my beloved BK is now redundant since installing a Clarisea filter roll. It hardly pulls anything and the tank is loaded with fish and coral. How I wish for the dark smelly skimate it used to produce !

jackthehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 03:46 PM   #2992
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat View Post
Thank you very much sir for your quick response I will follow your instructions. I am starting to feel that my beloved BK is now redundant since installing a Clarisea filter roll. It hardly pulls anything and the tank is loaded with fish and coral. How I wish for the dark smelly skimate it used to produce !
Fleece filters can have a big impact on the skimmers output since the pull the solids out before they get a chance to breakdown. As such, you should expect to see a decline in skmmate production. Not a bad thing either. Just something that you need to tune the skimmer accordingly for. You will likely need to run it wetter than you are used to in order to maintain consistency. And loaded with fish is kind of relative. A truly heavy load by our standards is about 1/2” of fish per display gallon and Bubble Kings are very conservatively rated in terms of their tank sizing. So if your display is at the low end of the tank size range, that skimmer will want a truly heavy load to maintain best performance. With our fleece based dreambox systems, we normally recommend customers go with a size smaller on their skimmers since the fleece can be so efficient in removing solids that would otherwise become dissolved organics.

Unread 01/25/2019, 07:09 PM   #2993
sensei
Registered Member

Slief,,

can I know what is the purpose of the red hose in the red dragon pump?
please see picture

red hose red dragon.jpg

Thanks

Unread 01/25/2019, 07:28 PM   #2994
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Slief,,

can I know what is the purpose of the red hose in the red dragon pump?
please see picture

Attachment 399252

Thanks
That is for ozone. Either cap it off at the pump or leave it connected so it can pull air.

Unread 01/25/2019, 07:34 PM   #2995
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
That is for ozone. Either cap it off at the pump or leave it connected so it can pull air.
is there any benefit in leaving it on so it pulls air?
or would it be better to just remove that hose and the opening would be summerged in water ??

thanks

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:22 PM   #2996
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
is there any benefit in leaving it on so it pulls air?
or would it be better to just remove that hose and the opening would be summerged in water ??

thanks
If you remove the tube, it should be capped off like I mentioned above so it doesn’t pull water in there as that will reduce the air intake and cause more salt buildup in the venturi port. Leaving it connected allows it to pull air and possibly a bit more than the venturi port alone. Either capped off or connected so it can pull air is best. Also finding the best pump speed is important which for an SM250 will typically be between 36 and 38. In some cases a bit lower or in others as high as 40w. Sometimes less is more though so I would start out low and find the speed that gets the most dense foam.

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:30 PM   #2997
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
If you remove the tube, it should be capped off like I mentioned above so it doesn’t pull water in there as that will reduce the air intake and cause more salt buildup in the venturi port. Leaving it connected allows it to pull air and possibly a bit more than the venturi port alone. Either capped off or connected so it can pull air is best. Also finding the best pump speed is important which for an SM250 will typically be between 36 and 38. In some cases a bit lower or in others as high as 40w. Sometimes less is more though so I would start out low and find the speed that gets the most dense foam.
understood, thanks a lot

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:36 PM   #2998
sensei
Registered Member

one last question.
if you connect the other end of the hose to fitting that is beside the wedge tube it would be an equivalent of being capped off, correct??

according to the manual the other end should be conected to the bottom part of this black fittting
black fitting.jpg

Unread 01/25/2019, 09:34 PM   #2999
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
one last question.
if you connect the other end of the hose to fitting that is beside the wedge tube it would be an equivalent of being capped off, correct??

according to the manual the other end should be conected to the bottom part of this black fittting
Attachment 399253
The other end of the hose can be connected to the nipple on the wedge pipe as shown in the manual. There is already a cap there but that cap comes off and can be placed directly on the pump which if you are going to cap it off, I’d move that cap to the pump and eliminate the red hose completely so its one less thing to disconnect form the pump when you need to do maintenance or remove the nozzle to clean the venturi port.

Unread 02/13/2019, 09:07 PM   #3000
Galizio
Registered Member

My mini 180 keep making an air bubble from the pump lately, does mean something? And Is not skimming as usual also.
Unfortunately can add the video

Galizio is offline   Reply With Quote