Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2018, 07:34 AM   #26
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Running 8 pounds of carbon in sump and my wife will mix 200 gallons of saltwater while I’m at work today. I got 26 fish out still have another 15 or so small ones to find tonight. My four clowns lived. I’m now worried about my SPS that I’ve spent a lot of money on

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 07:47 AM   #27
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Running 8 pounds of carbon in sump and will do a 225 gallon water change tonight after work. Two pairs of clowns are alive

Unread 09/02/2018, 11:54 PM   #28
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I had an RBTA get shredded about 15 years ago. On a whim, I kept a chunk of the foot in the sump and it miraculously survived. Today it is still in the tank (sold the tank to a friend about 12 years ago) and at last count is now 19 nems. I got lucky and no harm was done to the tank, though the nem was in pieces EVERYWHERE!

Unread 09/11/2018, 12:23 PM   #29
Lancerman
Registered Member

Stories like these are why I'd be hesitant to stock BTA but I want my clowns to be happy. I picked up a leather toadstool that clowns are known to host on. Will provide updates. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences to this newbie

Lancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 07:51 PM   #30
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Lost 40 plus fish this morning when one of my three Ritteri got sucyinti my Tunze

Wondering if sps will die too???

Lost some 15 year old fish
Sorry to hear this.
From other people experienced, the sting will not kill corals, but the quality of the water can if you are not able to locate and remove the dead fish. Good luck. Hope you will be able to avert tank crash.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 10:14 PM   #31
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Sorry to hear this.
From other people experienced, the sting will not kill corals, but the quality of the water can if you are not able to locate and remove the dead fish. Good luck. Hope you will be able to avert tank crash.
Thanks, my SPS, clam and other invertebrates are just fine. I did a 50 percent water change that evening after work. I’m going to sell my other two Ritteri, too heart breaking losing some of my 15+ year fish.

Unread 09/12/2018, 12:57 AM   #32
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I’m going to sell my other two Ritteri, too heart breaking losing some of my 15+ year fish.
Sorry to hear. An experience such as yours would be discouraging to continue in the hobby...much props to you for dealing with the disaster.

My newly acquired Ritteri walked into a powerhead last Saturday. Luckily it happened in QT after the first dose of Cipro. The anemone is doing ok and is recovering nicely. However, based on this experience, in addition to yours, I decided that I'll move my coral colonies to another tank. The Ritteri will be in a tank with H. Malu and a couple of frags.
I've heard and have personally witnessed the destruction a Ritteri death can cause in a reef tank. It's horrible.
Best of luck to you with your reef tank recovery.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 01:19 PM   #33
garygb
Registered Member

I've only observed movement with anemones when the nitrates start to creep up above the undetectable level. Nitrates are not particularly toxic to anemones, unless quite high, but they do seem "irritated" by them even when in low concentration.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 11:35 AM   #34
A.ocellaris
Registered Member

Run some carbon as people mentioned before. Also, if its a BTA, they can recover

A.ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 10:39 AM   #35
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Happened to me. All the fish died except the clownfish. 100% water change was needed. It was a small 20 gallon tank.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote