Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2006, 11:11 AM   #1
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Pom Pom Crab without Pom Poms

I just posted this question if Reef Discussion and was thinking that maybe I should have posted it here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...49#post8699549

Is there any way to get a pom pom crab his pom poms back?

Thanks!

kelley_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2006, 12:27 PM   #2
LeslieH
Premium Member

In the wild Lybia tesselata (the most common pom pom crab) holds Bunodeopsis and Triactis anemones. I don't remember any reports of captive ones picking up other genera but it might occur. If they will only accept Bunodeopsis & Triactis then you have only a few options. Find some B or T anemones living on live rock. Ask every lfs in your area to let you know the minute one of their Lybias die so you can buy the anemones. Ask every lfs in your area if you can take one anemone from a Lybia that has two. Buy another L. tesselata with anemones in the hope they will reproduce or the first Lybia will steal one of the anemones. Lybias with only one anemone will pinch it in half; each half will regrow resulting in a happy Lybia with two pom poms.

LeslieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2006, 12:34 PM   #3
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Thank you very much for the detailed response. You definately have me thinking... If I can find a pom pom crab with two, how exactly do I take one from him/her?

Current Tank Info: 37 gal AGA with 20 gal sump/refugium, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, Current Sunpaq 150 watt MH, 2 Koralia Nanos for flow, Ebo Jager 200 and 150 watt heaters, 65 lbs LR (Fiji, Caribbean, Uaniva), Chaeto, Quiet One 4000 return pump, 24 watt UV sterilizer
Unread 12/07/2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Ryanqk
Registered Member

he he, that must be a funny site, an aquarist trying to steal an anenome from a pom pom crab.... i imagine you will have a time of it, however i hear when they molt they will gently place the anenomes aside until the shell hardens again....

Current Tank Info: 75gl display, 20gl long fuge, CPR overflow, Octopuss NW150 skimmer, 4 x 110w VHO T12's and supplemental actinic, ongoing projects...
Ryanqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2006, 07:28 PM   #5
LeslieH
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelley_mc
If I can find a pom pom crab with two, how exactly do I take one from him/her?
Hmmm, I hadn't really thought that far ahead!

The crabs carry the anemones between the pinchers of their big claws. I wonder if you can hold one by the carapace & gently tug on the anemone with a small pair of forceps. On the other hand, if you handle one roughly it may shed the arm (which it'll regrow) giving up the anemone but I don't suppose any lfs will let you do that. If Ryanqk's right & a molting crab will lay the anemones aside then that's the time to grab an anemone but they usually hide in the rocks when they molt. You may have to buy another crab.

The good news is that most Lybias will do okay without the anemones.

LeslieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2006, 06:44 AM   #6
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanqk
he he, that must be a funny site, an aquarist trying to steal an anenome from a pom pom crab.... i imagine you will have a time of it, however i hear when they molt they will gently place the anenomes aside until the shell hardens again....

I have heard that they do drop the anemones when they molt, but I agree with Leslie that when it happens, I will most likely not see him for a while.

Unread 12/08/2006, 06:46 AM   #7
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieH
Hmmm, I hadn't really thought that far ahead!

The crabs carry the anemones between the pinchers of their big claws. I wonder if you can hold one by the carapace & gently tug on the anemone with a small pair of forceps. On the other hand, if you handle one roughly it may shed the arm (which it'll regrow) giving up the anemone but I don't suppose any lfs will let you do that. If Ryanqk's right & a molting crab will lay the anemones aside then that's the time to grab an anemone but they usually hide in the rocks when they molt. You may have to buy another crab.

The good news is that most Lybias will do okay without the anemones.
Leslie, are you recommending that I threaten the poor little crab and if he doesn't give up his anemone, that I break his arm?

I feel like I am working with the mob here.

Unread 12/08/2006, 10:27 AM   #8
chelskisw6
Registered Member

dont take them from another crab. put another pom pom in there, and they will share their anems. thats what happened in my tank. yes they lose them when molting. but they can also use other things as pom poms, such as tiny zoas, etc.

chelskisw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2006, 11:57 AM   #9
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Thanks chelskisw6. I see you are from CT. Do you know where I may be able to find one?

Current Tank Info: 37 gal AGA with 20 gal sump/refugium, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, Current Sunpaq 150 watt MH, 2 Koralia Nanos for flow, Ebo Jager 200 and 150 watt heaters, 65 lbs LR (Fiji, Caribbean, Uaniva), Chaeto, Quiet One 4000 return pump, 24 watt UV sterilizer