Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2009, 08:02 PM   #1
jakano
Registered Member

How do you make a drain that is just an elbow fitting quiet?

I just have an 1.5" bulkhead with an upturned 90 with a strainer for a drain and I cannot make it quiet at all. I am to the point now where my pump is backed off so much its barely moving water and it still loud.

jakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2009, 08:07 PM   #2
chrismunn
Registered Member

you might be able to try the hofer gurgle buster?

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2009, 08:11 PM   #3
jakano
Registered Member

Im not using an overflow box just a 90 fitting turned up so I doubt that would work. It's like it has a constant siphon going, so instead of a drain I have a vacuum. I can turn the fitting upside down and it will suck water out of the tank down to the end of the fitting in seconds. I need to get rid of this siphon affect and just have a drain. The pump I am using only pumps at 600 gph so a 1" drain should be enough and I have two 1" lines draining. I am draining to a basement sump two floors down so maybe with a drop of that distance it will always have a siphon and I am just stuck with noise?

Unread 01/06/2009, 08:43 PM   #4
kgross
Premium Member

It does have a constant siphon. You really should build a box around it to make it work better.

But with that said if you put the external durso on it, it will help with the siphon problem. But an elbow with a strainer on it will not keep a very constant water level.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
kgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2009, 09:01 PM   #5
jakano
Registered Member

I have an external durso already. Sounds like I am just kind of s.o.l

Unread 01/06/2009, 09:07 PM   #6
kgross
Premium Member

I think you are sol. The only thing you could would be put in some air vents in the pipe part way down, but that would not be easy and I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference anyway.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
Unread 01/06/2009, 09:10 PM   #7
therealfatman
Moved On

The dark line you see on the two differing drains is simply a piece of rigid air line tubing placed through a drilled hole. The drain fitting made with a "T" fitting has a cap on it with the tube through a hole you must drill through the cap. The drain made from a 90 degree fitting merely has a small hole drilled in it to accept the tubing. glass-holes sells these 90 degree fittings predrilled for the same cost as an undrilled fitting. Raise the tubing up and down until the system operates the quietest. A simple piece of electrical tape will hold the tubing where you find it works best.

There will be no siphon with this arrangement, however you must realise without the siphon your flow will drop appreciably. Most people try to eliminate siphons as their flow is not usually consistent/dependable.

therealfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2009, 09:14 PM   #8
kgross
Premium Member

Even with the vent, you can get a siphon effect in the pipe, which is I believe the problem the OP is having.

Question. Is your drain submerged in the sump or above the waters surface?

kim

Unread 01/06/2009, 09:19 PM   #9
jakano
Registered Member

The drain lines empty above the surface of the water.

Unread 01/06/2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Saboral
Registered Member

The only way he could then have a siphon if the pipe has another low point in it at which the pipe is completely filled with water. This may be the case with a very long "basement run" my suggestion is the same as thererealfatman's. You will have to adjust the air tube length until it breaks the siphon and may have to add multiple or larger tubes.

Saboral is offline   Reply With Quote