Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2017, 10:28 PM   #5351
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
It's probably safe to assume that all of these juvi Regals came in with the same shipment and kept in the same holding system... Does that mean that there's a good chance that they're all infected?

I am certainly treating the one that comes in like it's infected. I'm just so bummed. I've always wanted a misbar and got lucky enough to get one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 10:30 PM   #5352
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post
I am certainly treating the one that comes in like it's infected. I'm just so bummed. I've always wanted a misbar and got lucky enough to get one....

Aw man. I am so sorry to hear this. Sorry I forgot to reply to your PM...

Unread 03/05/2017, 10:38 PM   #5353
Reef908
Registered Member

Yeah I assume all fish has something since it's virtually impossible that they were not exposed at some point during their journey to our tanks (unless you got it sent direct from the collector maybe). Sorry for your loss! I always get so bummed when I lose a fish. Hopefully this next one comes in better for you.

Unread 03/05/2017, 10:54 PM   #5354
scuzy
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

My regal went through formalin baths for 45 minutes, then ttm, prazi for during ttm and into qt for two weeks before there display. No issues here. It all depends on how healthy of a speciment you got and how healthy it is.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:03 PM   #5355
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
It's probably safe to assume that all of these juvi Regals came in with the same shipment and kept in the same holding system... Does that mean that there's a good chance that they're all infected?
I always assume every angel has flukes. I do a 45 min formalin bath on every angel on arrival and pazipro in the quarantine tanks. Mine still seems to be doing pretty well. It arrived last Tuesday. It's not eating as aggressively as I'd like but it is eating some mysis, clams, and mussels. No luck on pellets yet. I'm hoping it will join my other one in he next few weeks.

Question for those with pairs, did you set them up in an acclimation box when introducing them or just put them together and let the squabble for a bit. The current one I have in the tank is about 3.5-4 inches. The new one is about 3".

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 06:49 AM   #5356
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Which formalin should I buy? When I google a bunch of results come up.

Unread 03/06/2017, 09:38 AM   #5357
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Which formalin should I buy? When I google a bunch of results come up.

I use formalin MS by fish vet.

Unread 03/06/2017, 09:49 AM   #5358
heuerfan
Registered Member

Update on my rs regal, i'm on week 3 and he is not eating. He shows interest in pellets and mysis, but only nipping at it. He came down with lymph the first week and I have since placed him in his own 20 gallon qt tank. The lymph seems to be clearing up, hopefully he will start eating soon. Will keep offering different food choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-8iHNNTWdQ

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 10:13 AM   #5359
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
Update on my rs regal, i'm on week 3 and he is not eating. He shows interest in pellets and mysis, but only nipping at it. He came down with lymph the first week and I have since placed him in his own 20 gallon qt tank. The lymph seems to be clearing up, hopefully he will start eating soon. Will keep offering different food choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-8iHNNTWdQ
What types of food have you tried so far?

Unread 03/06/2017, 10:39 AM   #5360
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
What types of food have you tried so far?
PE mysis, hikari mysis, brine shrimp, nori, nls spektrum pellets, formula two pellets, pe mysis pellets jsut to name a few

Unread 03/06/2017, 10:44 AM   #5361
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
PE mysis, hikari mysis, brine shrimp, nori, nls spektrum pellets, formula two pellets, pe mysis pellets jsut to name a few
Go with a fresh clam, mussel, or oyster sliced open. They all seem to work pretty well to get them started.

Unread 03/06/2017, 11:17 AM   #5362
alton
Registered Member

I hope this youtube video is okay to post, if not mods please remove
https://youtu.be/Po_dvEr5DL0
I have never lost a fish due to FW dip, but I have lost fish that I did not dip. I have had fish that looked stressed, and others who thought they where in Heaven.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 11:23 AM   #5363
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:
+1 on the live littleneck clam. That's what got mine to eat. I also did a raw cocktail shrimp rubber banded to a piece of rock rubble that he liked too before going after pellets with gusto.

Unread 03/06/2017, 12:15 PM   #5364
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I hope this youtube video is okay to post, if not mods please remove
https://youtu.be/Po_dvEr5DL0
I have never lost a fish due to FW dip, but I have lost fish that I did not dip. I have had fish that looked stressed, and others who thought they where in Heaven.
If there are flukes then there maybe eggs, good idea to treat with a couple of rounds of prazi. I hate flukes.....

Unread 03/06/2017, 12:16 PM   #5365
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
+1 on the live littleneck clam. That's what got mine to eat. I also did a raw cocktail shrimp rubber banded to a piece of rock rubble that he liked too before going after pellets with gusto.
Okay I will try this, thanks guys!

So if i'm lucky he eats the littleneck clams or cocktail shrimp how do you guys transition into pellets?

Unread 03/06/2017, 01:05 PM   #5366
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:

So if i'm lucky he eats the littleneck clams or cocktail shrimp how do you guys transition into pellets?
So far for me with regals once they start eating something they usually quickly move to eating a better variety of foods.

Unread 03/06/2017, 03:37 PM   #5367
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:

After a few meals of clam (one a day), then offered shrimp one day, then next day dropped in some thawed out mysis and spirulina gut loaded brine and he investigated and then ate it. Next day did frozen again but with some mega marine angel sponge frozen and he ate quicker. After a few days of this I tried some nls pellets and he ate those. Now I toss in a variety of things and he eats all. Any excess food I sucked out with a turkey baster. Took about a week to get him eating with gusto.

Unread 03/06/2017, 03:40 PM   #5368
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
After a few meals of clam (one a day), then offered shrimp one day, then next day dropped in some thawed out mysis and spirulina gut loaded brine and he investigated and then ate it. Next day did frozen again but with some mega marine angel sponge frozen and he ate quicker. After a few days of this I tried some nls pellets and he ate those. Now I toss in a variety of things and he eats all. Any excess food I sucked out with a turkey baster. Took about a week to get him eating with gusto.
Thanks for the reply!

Unread 03/06/2017, 04:41 PM   #5369
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Question for those with pairs, did you set them up in an acclimation box when introducing them or just put them together and let the squabble for a bit. The current one I have in the tank is about 3.5-4 inches. The new one is about 3".
In my experience the ideal size difference is about one tailfin length. The smaller one should go first into the tank, the larger one can follow a few hours to a few days later.
In your case you will likely have to catch the larger one and put it in an acclimatization box for a few days while the new one settles into the tank.
I would also observe how they behave when they see each other. The smaller one should make submissive gestures. If they try to attack each other then the size difference may not be enough.

Some chasing is completely normal as long as it doesn't lead to serious injury. You usually can tell right away if it is just a short "get out of my way" chase or a prolonged "leave this tank or die" chase.
Some fin nipping may occur, but it should never be anything serious.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 03/06/2017 at 04:48 PM.
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 06:21 PM   #5370
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Okay - my new guy comes in tomorrow. I don't have formalin and no shops in the area have it - so I think we'll forgo it for now. It also appears to be hard on the fish if not done properly and having never used it.....well.

Anyways.

My thought was that he was originally going into a 10g QT with a few live rocks. He's just going to hang out there for awhile. I figured I would immediately dose Prazipro and let it do its thing, after 3 days, i'll do a 50% water change - let him rest for a day or 2, and then dose Prazipro again. After that, i'll just watch him for awhile. If he develops Ich, we'll work it out then. Thoughts?

Unread 03/06/2017, 06:33 PM   #5371
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay - my new guy comes in tomorrow. I don't have formalin and no shops in the area have it - so I think we'll forgo it for now. It also appears to be hard on the fish if not done properly and having never used it.....well.

Anyways.

My thought was that he was originally going into a 10g QT with a few live rocks. He's just going to hang out there for awhile. I figured I would immediately dose Prazipro and let it do its thing, after 3 days, i'll do a 50% water change - let him rest for a day or 2, and then dose Prazipro again. After that, i'll just watch him for awhile. If he develops Ich, we'll work it out then. Thoughts?
I'd definitely order formalin tonight. Formalin may have saved the last one.

Unread 03/06/2017, 06:37 PM   #5372
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
In my experience the ideal size difference is about one tailfin length. The smaller one should go first into the tank, the larger one can follow a few hours to a few days later.
In your case you will likely have to catch the larger one and put it in an acclimatization box for a few days while the new one settles into the tank.
I would also observe how they behave when they see each other. The smaller one should make submissive gestures. If they try to attack each other then the size difference may not be enough.

Some chasing is completely normal as long as it doesn't lead to serious injury. You usually can tell right away if it is just a short "get out of my way" chase or a prolonged "leave this tank or die" chase.
Some fin nipping may occur, but it should never be anything serious.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks. The current one should be pretty easy to catch. He waits at the top of the tank for food when I go anywhere near the tank. He has very large spines compared to the new one so I'm hoping the new one will know it's role pretty quick.

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:02 PM   #5373
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd definitely order formalin tonight. Formalin may have saved the last one.
Is Paraguard the same thing? Everytime I search for "Formalin" it keeps coming up

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:06 PM   #5374
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Is Paraguard the same thing? Everytime I search for "Formalin" it keeps coming up
No.

Unread 03/06/2017, 07:16 PM   #5375
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Formalin MS by Fishvet is what I, and many others use.

https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Exter...rmalin-MS.aspx