Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2007, 04:06 PM   #1
newreef06
Registered Member

help with tank

I have had my tank running for 2 years now. it really looked great I moved about a year ago. Ever since I moved it. I have had all kinds of algea problems. I can not get rid of. Well the problem is when I moved it. I stirred up some nitrates in the sand bed. The what caused my algea bloom. I was thinking about draining the water. removeing all the sand. Getting new sand and cleaning the whole tank out. I was also going to scrub the LR clean out the sump skimmer ect. I was going to up grade to a hydro 2 power head for more flo. I have a maxijet 1200 right now. My tank is a 55G all glass with coneroverflow. sump in the bottom. mag drive 5 return pump. 300w MH light prizm skimmer eheim filter and about 4 inch sand bed. Let me know my opitions

newreef06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2007, 04:52 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't think the problem is the move, although the sand might be contaminated by now. That seems to happen sometimes. Replacing the sand might be a good idea. An inch or so for looks might be easier to maintain.

Unread 12/31/2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

What are you keeping? Reef? Fish-only?

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2007, 05:07 PM   #4
tongareefer
Registered Member

what are you running in the eheim?

tongareefer is offline   Reply With Quote