Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2007, 05:52 PM   #51
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well my 5 day red bug wait was over so I brought my corals up from the frag tank. I added a hippo, 2 anthias, a couple neon cleaner gobies as well as a ya****a haze(sp?) gobie to go with one of my pistols. Way back I thought I had lost a pistol and got another, during the move I found both of them. I wanted to add them before the tangs became territorial in the new surroundings so crossing my fingers on problems.

Here's the new shots although I'm sure there will be a lot of rearranging and I think I need a bigger tank!

Full tank on an angle:

Left side:

Center:

Right side:

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
DrBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2007, 06:44 PM   #52
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Looks Great!!! It kind of hard to capture all of a 6' tank in a photo but you did a great job.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2007, 09:17 PM   #53
DrBDC
Registered Member

The only way I could figure out how to do it w/o being way back was on an angle.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps+75 softy/lps on one system tunze's, seio's, mjmods, aquacontroller w/add ons, 2X400 XM10000 and 3X160 vho actinic, 110g sump, 110 frag tank, Geo Beckett and other stuff
Unread 05/06/2007, 09:20 PM   #54
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Did you lose much flow from the added depth, length and height? Still running just the 2 Seio's and the 2 mjmods?

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 05/06/2007, 09:47 PM   #55
DrBDC
Registered Member

For now. I'd like to go with some good sized tunze's or a pair of votex's. Maybe that seio polario(sp?) if it ever hits the market. I'm still at about 1000 gph with the return, then 2300ish on the mjmod and 1500-3000 with the seios on the controller. That's 26.66X-35X turnover so it needs a bump. If I add back the other mjmod that would kick me up to 47.7X so I may have to add it but the way I have it now it pushes right when the seio's are on and left when they go 50% so it gets some back and forth movement this way. I'll have to play around with the mjmods on the controller and see how they do. I was reading a thread where people were having sucess with the mjmods on the seio controller so I'll see how it goes.

Unread 05/06/2007, 10:21 PM   #56
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It is looking great. I truly am convinced that flow is just as important as light. I can't keep my sand from piling up in the corners but the corals are growing great. I had to mod the Koralia to even out the flow and it worked great. It is still a pale comparison to the MjMod but I am happy with it finally.

How deep is that sand? lol

Unread 05/06/2007, 11:00 PM   #57
DrBDC
Registered Member

It's 180 lbs oolitic but I buried some base rock to increase the depth. I was aiming for about 4-5". I haven't measured to see if I made it. Lights are all off now I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Unread 05/06/2007, 11:15 PM   #58
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I just flipped back to the tank filling pic and it looks about 4"

If you get the urge to buy one of these...resist the urge, mine is about 10" long now and excavates non-stop. lol Yes this is the one who caused my first and worst tank crash. He is pretty cool though, swims around like he owns the tank.

You have any big fish planned for the tank?

Unread 05/07/2007, 12:15 AM   #59
inwall75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sirreal63
It is looking great. I truly am convinced that flow is just as important as light.

Here's some good reads.....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/6/aafeature2
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/aafeature
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature2
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/11/aafeature
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Current Tank Info: 7.5g nano, 75g Inwall, 18g nano, 12g nano, 200g prop tank
inwall75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 12:10 AM   #60
drummereef
Team RC Member

Tank looks freakin' awesome. Seriously Dr, great job.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 02:04 AM   #61
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I really like the picture with the bubble caption. That was really funny. Wish I lived near by to get some of those frags. They look really nice. Also, your tank looks great. Sirreal, that is an awesome fish!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2007, 08:07 AM   #62
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well I have my canopy mostly finished. I need to get the fan holes on the end, some hinges for the two doors, and then seal the inside and stain/seal the exterior. I'll try to get a sealer on the inside today if I find time. And pics too!

Unread 05/09/2007, 01:40 PM   #63
DrBDC
Registered Member

Did some kilz on the inside of the canopy and got the fan holes cut. I need to go get some hinges and oak filler for nail heads and joints then possibly stain it later today and def. 2nd coat the kilz. It's hot outside!! I know it's not really hot yet but it sure seems like it after a winter.

Unread 05/09/2007, 10:57 PM   #64
drummereef
Team RC Member

Very cool, I like the full access top.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2007, 08:23 AM   #65
DrBDC
Registered Member

Thanks. The 2 main halide sets will attach to the top to lift them completely out of the way when I need more room but most of the time for feeding I'll just open the doors. I may have to rethink the crossbrace if I want to attach the vho's to it and/or have 3 halides. Then I'll do a lower center brace although this thing is so heavy that I probably don't need one at all.

Unread 05/19/2007, 08:32 PM   #66
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well I bought a 3rd mh ballast and am just going to go ahead and incorporate that into the hood from the get-go. I think I'll run and XM20,000K to go with the 2 10,000k's.

I haven't progressed on the hood much though. Some wood filler to nail holes, trimmed out the openings where the doors go, etc. Which that leads me to an issue with the doors not wanting to fit right. I routered them all even with the backs of the trim to lessen the size of the part that insets. I want the trim around the openings to make it nicer when the door is open but if the fit doesn't go, it will just have a slightly ugly hole showing when the door is open.

I'm still constantly moving, moving back, etc. corals. I've added a hippo and a purple tang. Moved some more corals from the frag tank forward. I added a cotton candy blue looking encrusting monti and cream w/blue tips acro from the local frag swap. Still haven't seen that yasha haze goby but I've seen the pistols a time or two. Occationally one will be up in the rocks. For wanting a lookout in a goby, they sure see well anyway because as soon as I see them, they take off.

Ange took some pics this afternoon too.

Unread 05/23/2007, 05:57 PM   #67
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Looks good Doc!

Nick

Unread 06/01/2007, 11:00 PM   #68
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well I've been slacking but I have the canopy partially finished. I can't find my encap standoff's so I can mount the vho's. I'll look tomorrow and/or buy/order some. I'll order a couple more bulbs while I'm at it and some more endcap's too so I can run 4 bulbs.

I'm also not happy with the doors. I couldn't find a hing that will have a long enough throw(not sure if that's the correct terminology). So I have them as "set in's" for right now.

I also need to make/buy some grills for the fan's.

The light spread is so much better than that 48" canopy perched on top!

Unread 06/02/2007, 12:32 AM   #69
chris wright
Moved On

The tank and hood is looking real good. Nice colour choice in the stain to.

How far are you looking to open the doors? I don't know if you have thought about recessed hinges, like whats used in kitchens. They allow for doors to open a fair way, considering the trims.

Cheers

Chris

chris wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 12:55 AM   #70
Schplitter
Registered Member

Just waht chris said up there. Looks awesome.

Those hinges he is talking about are about 8 bucks each and can be found where the kitchen cabinets are. I just looked at them yesterday at Lowes....

BK

Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 110 Gal Display, 125 Gal Custom Sump in basement fish room, 2- G3 XR30 Radion's + 2 48' Retrofit T5"s, Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 SSS Skimmer, 2 - Vortech MP-40, Panworld NH-200PS Return, 8x2' Frag tank, DIY refugium lighting, DIY frag tank lighting.
Schplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 07:52 AM   #71
DrBDC
Registered Member

The problem on the hinges is that the main body of the door is the part I cut out of the front. Then the trim was placed on it. That gives about a 2" overlap which hides the cutout.. If I hinge the main part of the door, the trim hits and if I go with the typical looking hinge, that would show on the outside a little, it has to attach to the trim and I don't think long term that would be as sturdy. I need a hinge that will push out about 2-3" as it opens. I'm probably not making sense.

Unread 06/02/2007, 08:11 AM   #72
DrBDC
Registered Member

The stain is golden oak with LOTS of spar urethane. I used the Helmsman since it is for constant outdoor exposure. I used that variety on my other tank stand and it still looks as good as it started. The stand was stained/sealed by Rena (pewter_jean). She also used the same stain but there is a difference on the wood itself. I may end up putting a shell over the stand so it matches the top. I could put crown molding on it too so there is a beverage ledge.

Unread 06/02/2007, 08:36 AM   #73
chris wright
Moved On

Corner kitchen cupboards have a different recessed hinge, so that when the door opens it pushes out and away from the cupboards. It might work for what you want, but 2 inches maybe pushing it. I don't know if it will work or not.

Sorry mate, its the best I can think of at the moment. If I see a better way to do it I'll let you know.

Cheers

Chris

chris wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2007, 07:29 PM   #74
DrBDC
Registered Member

Well not a lot of an update but I have a new resident.

Unread 06/25/2007, 08:47 PM   #75
DrBDC
Registered Member

A little star eradication: