Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2016, 08:03 PM   #251
Squibege
Registered Member

Looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squibege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 04:50 PM   #252
Maximizer
Registered Member

Looks great!!! Have any more details on how you poured the epoxy and what did you use to spread it?

Maximizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 06:12 PM   #253
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximizer View Post
Looks great!!! Have any more details on how you poured the epoxy and what did you use to spread it?
He did the epoxy on page 3. By the time he's done it looks better than most pianos. Lol

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 06:13 PM   #254
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Crook View Post
Here is a full tank shot, taken today:

Oh wow. That's amazing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damienpbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 07:53 PM   #255
Maximizer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
He did the epoxy on page 3. By the time he's done it looks better than most pianos. Lol
Yeah it looks really good! Lol. I was just wondering how he spread it. Did he just let it self level, tilt the tank to move the epoxy, or use a squeegee? I didn't see anything to where he mentioned it. Impressive work though.

Unread 12/05/2016, 10:20 PM   #256
Brian Crook
Registered Member

Quote:
Did he just let it self level, tilt the tank to move the epoxy, or use a squeegee? I didn't see anything to where he mentioned it. Impressive work though.
Thanks! I calculated how much I needed to mix for each pour, mixed it up, and poured it all out just as the bucket started to warm. I used a squeegee to spread it all out faster, although in truth the self-leveling capability would have been sufficient, just a little slower. I then used a hair dryer to blow hot air across the surface and pop the microbubbles. Then I rotated the tank every which way and started the process over again. I wore respiratory protection when I worked over the epoxy.

One lesson learned: use a propane torch instead! Although my tank worked out, using a torch not only would have been a whole lot easier, it would have also been more effective at popping the bubbles. I didn't purchase a torch until I started making my bar ledge (as per manufacturer's recommendation) and wow is it ever easier than the hair dryer method! It also has the benefit of not blowing around dust particles. You just need to watch out that you don't burn the epoxy as it does begin to smoke rather easily.

Cheers

Brian Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 10:38 PM   #257
Maximizer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! I calculated how much I needed to mix for each pour, mixed it up, and poured it all out just as the bucket started to warm. I used a squeegee to spread it all out faster, although in truth the self-leveling capability would have been sufficient, just a little slower. I then used a hair dryer to blow hot air across the surface and pop the microbubbles. Then I rotated the tank every which way and started the process over again. I wore respiratory protection when I worked over the epoxy.

One lesson learned: use a propane torch instead! Although my tank worked out, using a torch not only would have been a whole lot easier, it would have also been more effective at popping the bubbles. I didn't purchase a torch until I started making my bar ledge (as per manufacturer's recommendation) and wow is it ever easier than the hair dryer method! It also has the benefit of not blowing around dust particles. You just need to watch out that you don't burn the epoxy as it does begin to smoke rather easily.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming any squeegee would do?

Unread 12/19/2016, 06:56 PM   #258
Brian Crook
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming any squeegee would do?
Yup, pretty much!

Here's a quick update of some new coral I've added. I met up with a hobbyist out of the Toronto area and purchased some pieces from him. His selection was incredible, so it was a little tricky picking some pieces to get started with. He threw in a small frag of the beautiful "Utter Chaos" zoanthid, so that is now front and center in the tank. Here's hoping it grows (and quickly!)...

Unread 12/19/2016, 07:01 PM   #259
saf1
Registered Member

That picture with the flame angel (or hawk), wow. It has some nice color and really pops out.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 07:05 PM   #260
Brian Crook
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
That picture with the flame angel (or hawk), wow. It has some nice color and really pops out.
Yeah, he's quite striking, made all the more interesting by the fact that he is so elusive.

Thanks

Unread 12/20/2016, 08:43 AM   #261
McPuff
Registered Member

Those are not typical frags... they are nice and branchy!!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 11:49 AM   #262
Pioneer
Registered Member

Bump. How is it going. Starting mine in April. Just remodeling the basement now. Thx for everything, Chris

Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:22 PM   #263
HermitTheCrab
Registered Member

Awesome build...looks great!

HermitTheCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 08:05 PM   #264
Brian Crook
Registered Member

Thanks guys,

It's been a little busy around here as of late so I haven't had much time for photos and updates. I have added a few more things to the tank, but for the most part I've just been enjoying watching things get established. My birdsnest is really starting to take off, which is pretty great. As for bad news, I have noticed that a slight leak has developed around one of the acrylic windows in the sump. This only becomes apparent when the return pump is shutoff and the sump is allowed to fill to the top (the added pressure seems to start squeezing water through the leak). I will have to spend a weekend draining it down and applying some silicone or other sealant around the window's edges.

Pioneer, when you say you're starting yours soon, are you referring to a plywood build as well?

Unread 02/02/2017, 10:52 PM   #265
Scythanith
Premium Member

Great looking build Brian! I commend you on your skills! Isn't panduit just the best thing ever for cable management I had a basset growing up, he name was Smiley and she was an amazing buddy! Such personalities, everything on their own schedule. You have some of the nicest corals at your fingertips there in T.dot area, take advantage!

Great build Sir.

Unread 02/03/2017, 08:08 AM   #266
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Very very nice Brian, you should be extremely proud of yourself for taking on such a task and completing it with flawless detail.

Unread 02/04/2017, 03:48 PM   #267
Pioneer
Registered Member

Yes Brian, My life long dream is to have one in my house. Did alittle work about 20 years ago making a 28,000 gal aquarium made out of a fiberglass pool for the Minnesota zoo for their sharks. Did a smaller 2500 gal sting ray tank. They were back in their quarantine building. 4' x 8' by 30" tall is about all I can do in my basement. I am glad I found the holy grail of plywood tanks section!

Unread 02/04/2017, 10:00 PM   #268
jimmy n
Registered Member

I can't believe that is plywood. Amazing!

jimmy n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 08:55 AM   #269
scubadan206
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Yes Brian, My life long dream is to have one in my house. Did alittle work about 20 years ago making a 28,000 gal aquarium made out of a fiberglass pool for the Minnesota zoo for their sharks. Did a smaller 2500 gal sting ray tank. They were back in their quarantine building. 4' x 8' by 30" tall is about all I can do in my basement. I am glad I found the holy grail of plywood tanks section!
8x4x30 inches is my sump size. I finnished mine a year ago.
DIY fishkeepers on youtube has a 6 part tutorial on building a plywood tank. It's a little bit of a different method than this one here, but it works the same.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 05:30 PM   #270
Pioneer
Registered Member

If 4'x8'x30" is your sump, how big is the tank?

Unread 02/24/2017, 05:57 PM   #271
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

Quote:

+1 hohoho - my display tank is only 3' lol

Unread 02/24/2017, 06:19 PM   #272
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Wish I had a DT that was atleast that big. Couldn't imagine having a DT big enough to have a sump that big

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 07:00 PM   #273
damienpbuckley
Registered Member

Quote:
Missed a couple pictures...

Here's a quick photo of the frags which just arrived the other day, and another photo of my very stubborn carpet anemone which refused to move from its position right against my glass ... You can see that I have now positioned a powerhead straight at it in the hopes that it will concede and relocate.. I'd really rather not have to peel it off once again.

Is that a squamosa clam? I have one almost identical & couldn't figure out which type it was.

Unread 03/01/2017, 03:32 AM   #274
scubadan206
Registered Member

Quote:
My DT is only 120 gallons. My sump also contains my frag area, refugium, 300 pounds of liverock, and an area for miracle mud.
It will support upgrades in the future.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2019, 05:00 PM   #275
Pioneer
Registered Member

Please give me an update on this tank. How did it last? thank you, Chris