Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2012, 09:52 PM   #1
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Side by side mantis size comparisons?

Dr. Caldwell, or anyone else for that matter:

Do any of you have a picture that has mature adult stomatapods side by side for size comparison? Similar to how people mount bugs to boards in boxes and all that.

Reason I ask is, My GT seems 'small' for the sizes listed, and peacocks seem 'huge'. I don't know if its just because my GT is skinny compared to how wide a peacock is, or if its just my brain. One of the reasons I went with the GT was the reef compatibility, but also its size and coloration (whoever named it psychedelic mantis shrimp is a liar. )

I'm really curious to see how the species stack when next to each other.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Dana42078
Registered Member

My G.T is a monster! Makes my other tiny mantis look like nothing lol. Id be curious to see this too...

Dana42078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 10:19 PM   #3
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Any chance you have pics of him next to something he can be sized again? Coins, a bill, a measuring tape, godzilla?

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I want to get a 100% accurate measuring of Maximus the male G.graphurus...it is said that they reach a size of 90mm but I am more then positive he well exceeds that...I do most measuring with my fingers, my hands are BIG! My middle finger is 120mm long and that is exactly how long Maximus appears along the side of my tank when I measure him.

a 120mm G.graphurus is odd too me.

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:41 PM   #5
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana42078 View Post
My G.T is a monster! Makes my other tiny mantis look like nothing lol. Id be curious to see this too...
Is your GT more then 4.5 inches? Mine is maybe 3ish inches but man he seems tiny. Do they grow 'out' once they hit their adult length I wonder.

Maybe peacocks are just fatarse's. I mean, 'big un-boned'

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
Is your GT more then 4.5 inches? Mine is maybe 3ish inches but man he seems tiny. Do they grow 'out' once they hit their adult length I wonder.

Maybe peacocks are just fatarse's. I mean, 'big un-boned'
I recon peacocks are just naturally "chubby"

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Dana42078
Registered Member

My GT is i wanna say 6 inches give or take......i will work on a photo of a good representation of size.....no im not gunna try and pet him so dont ask

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Dana42078
Registered Member

Well origanally when we tried to ID my Tern someone i think said it might be a hybrid or something....Even Dr.Roy said the max size of a GT is supposed to be over just 5 inches i think.....damn now i wanna go look what he said lol.

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Dana42078
Registered Member

if interested heres the ID thread to my mantis...lil side tracked..sorry

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952117

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:39 PM   #10
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Crazy. It looks exactly like my tern for sure. I wonder if maybe you just have the mutant huge one. I hope mine gets that big!

I wonder if there are ternatensis also in other parts of the world not commonly collected on that generally grow a bit bigger or slightly different then the common ones we see. Sort of like the peacock with the wierd coloration posted before that was from another area.

Unread 05/10/2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
Crazy. It looks exactly like my tern for sure. I wonder if maybe you just have the mutant huge one. I hope mine gets that big!

I wonder if there are ternatensis also in other parts of the world not commonly collected on that generally grow a bit bigger or slightly different then the common ones we see. Sort of like the peacock with the wierd coloration posted before that was from another area.
Well if Maximus the G.graphurus can grow larger then thought possible why not other species ?

Unread 05/11/2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Dana42078
Registered Member

That's a good thought mndfreeze! Heck I don't even know the real lineage of El Guapo...could have been home breed for all I know. Could it be his diet? How often are they supposed to molt? 15 and a half months 4 molts....do molts slow with age?

Unread 05/11/2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

The largest recorded gonodactylid of any species was a G. ternatensis male that I measured at 124 mm (about 5 inches). That animal was measured by my pressing it flat against a board and recording length from the tip of the eyes to the tip of its telson spines.

Attempts to measure stomatopods through an aquarium wall usually produce exaggerated results. I only trust measurements when I have the animal in hand and straightened out against a ruler.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonodactylus View Post
Attempts to measure stomatopods through an aquarium wall usually produce exaggerated results. I only trust measurements when I have the animal in hand and straightened out against a ruler.

Roy
Sounds dangerous

Do you make these measurements postmortem or was this a live process?

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

I usually make them live at the time of collection, but also verify size with they are preserved.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Dana42078
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonodactylus View Post
The largest recorded gonodactylid of any species was a G. ternatensis male that I measured at 124 mm (about 5 inches). That animal was measured by my pressing it flat against a board and recording length from the tip of the eyes to the tip of its telson spines.

Roy
The day mine passes i will be sure to do this and get a video of it. Thanks for your input as always Dr.Roy.

Unread 05/12/2012, 03:49 AM   #17
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Thanks Dr. Caldwell. Next time you do some Tern measurements and peacock measurements take some photo's or video please!