Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2014, 09:02 AM   #1
jrich
Registered Member

Stevie wonder

We should have a mantis roll call. Here is mine his name is Stevie Wonder

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413644509405.jpg (52.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413644528321.jpg (60.5 KB, 133 views)
jrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Gonodactylus ternatensis should not be discussed. The species is collected in live coral heads which are destroyed causing damage to reefs.

Unread 10/18/2014, 11:58 AM   #3
necrio
Registered Member

Wait wait wait, his mantis is one that destroys reefs so we shouldn't talk of it ? Im sorry nature, you are too cruel so I am going to look the other way?

I think he has a beautiful mantis!

necrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Fartin'Gary
Registered Member

No the mantis doesn't hurt the reef, the people who catch them do. That's why you should never buy one if you come across it but stores will mislabel them and trick you. But all in all he's a pretty silly kid.

Fartin'Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Forfekte
Registered Member

Ternatensis sure are pretty stomatopods.

However I disagree that it shouldn't be discussed. The more people that know and understand how they are collected = more people that don't want to purchase them = the more pressure that it put on distributors to do it with non-destructive methods or to not do it at all.

I have a very angry and active female Chiragra mantis named Khutu after the great mongolian woman Khutulun. I have tried to take pictures of her in the tank but so far my phone camera does a very poor job of taking photos into my aquarium and haven't quite figured it out yet.

I have a Smithii on the way and am looking to purchase a Ciliata and japonicus(one can hope right? ) as well, but haven't found either yet! (if anyone knows of any for sale or trade let me know please!)

Forfekte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Gonodactylaceus*

Discussion as in showing off specimens and care requirements would only influence getting the species as if they were perfect canidates (which undeniably they are one of my favorites)

Of course discussing not purchasing them is supportive and welcome but for the most part, "Showing off" your specimens only persuades others to get one, like this thread was made for.

Unread 10/19/2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Fartin'Gary
Registered Member

So you think this should be removed as well? http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...=g_ternatensis

Unread 10/19/2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartin'Gary View Post
So you think this should be removed as well? http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...=g_ternatensis
It's not showing it off

Unread 10/19/2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Fartin'Gary
Registered Member

You really do make me feel like not returning to this forum.

Unread 10/19/2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Cause normally the only time you do is to criticize or pick a fight with someone.

Unread 10/20/2014, 07:12 AM   #11
Adetia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
Gonodactylus ternatensis should not be discussed. The species is collected in live coral heads which are destroyed causing damage to reefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
Cause normally the only time you do is to criticize or pick a fight with someone.

Just for the record. He didn't mention it by name, you did. All he did was post a picture of his mantis and requested we all do the same. There are plenty of posts about the dreaded GT and the harmful effects caused it's collection. I don't think we need to bring it up every time it's mentioned (or in this case, pictured). Edit: I can understand bringing it up if someone is considering buying one but if it's already purchased and in a new home there's no point in shaming someone for not knowing. From what I've seen, most of the GT owners actually purchased a peacock and end up getting a GT so it's not even their fault. They are still beautiful creatures and people's pets, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to post pictures or talk about their pets.

Back on topic. This is my girl Sif (O. Havanesis). She was practically dead when I got her left Feb(shipping water was about 60 F when she arrived). She's now healthy, active, and so quick. She'll dart out of her burrow 6-8" and grab some mysis before i even knew what happened.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141004_110406392_HDR.jpg (104.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141008_103031846_HDR.jpg (102.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Adetia; 10/20/2014 at 08:05 AM.
Adetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Forfekte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adetia View Post
Just for the record. He didn't mention it by name, you did. All he did was post a picture of his mantis and requested we all do the same. There are plenty of posts about the dreaded GT and the harmful effects caused it's collection. I don't think we need to bring it up every time it's mentioned (or in this case, pictured). Edit: I can understand bringing it up if someone is considering buying one but if it's already purchased and in a new home there's no point in shaming someone for not knowing. From what I've seen, most of the GT owners actually purchased a peacock and end up getting a GT so it's not even their fault. They are still beautiful creatures and people's pets, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to post pictures or talk about their pets.

Back on topic. This is my girl Sif (O. Havanesis). She was practically dead when I got her left Feb(shipping water was about 60 F when she arrived). She's now healthy, active, and so quick. She'll dart out of her burrow 6-8" and grab some mysis before i even knew what happened.
I agree with you about the no shaming people who have one, but it should be mentioned if people are looking to buy one. It does nothing but make people not want to be in the community by making someone feel bad after they have already acquired one, especially if they ordered a peacock and got a ternatensis instead.

Awesome mantis! Shes quite attractive, I particularly like her white spotting on her carapace above her pleopods. Pretty cool name too I might add

Unread 10/22/2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Adetia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forfekte View Post
Awesome mantis! Shes quite attractive, I particularly like her white spotting on her carapace above her pleopods. Pretty cool name too I might add
Thanks! She's been quite the character, very different from my previous mantis which was a peacock and definitely not nearly as aggressive either.

Unread 10/23/2014, 12:55 AM   #14
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Getting back to the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post
We should have a mantis roll call.
Here is 1 of mine that I recently named...

I think it's fitting

Unread 10/23/2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Adetia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
Getting back to the OP

Here is 1 of mine that I recently named...

I think it's fitting
That telson is crazy, what species is it?

Unread 10/23/2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adetia View Post
That telson is crazy, what species is it?
Raoulserenea Komaii

Unread 10/24/2014, 02:51 PM   #17
Forfekte
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
Raoulserenea Komaii
wow, awesome mantis!

Unread 11/17/2014, 09:57 PM   #18
jrich
Registered Member

Just for the person concerned about the fact that this mantis is collected from reefs. This mantis was ordered as a peacock and this is what the store received. I am a firm believer in preserving the hobby and the reefs themselves heck even my main display is stocked with reef saver rock. I did know what kind of mantis this was when I bought him but I figured he is already caught should not let him die in the store.

jrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 11:28 PM   #19
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Topic was dropped a long time ago. I'm well aware it's normally not the customer's fault in how they get ahold of the species, especially when it happened to me twice.