Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Fitz4fish
Registered Member

Blue Hippo vs Yellow tang

I have a large 150 gallon tank and introduced an adopted blue hippo. He is about 6 inches and hearty. He took to my tank well with the exception of my yellow tang. My yellow tang has stopped swimming around and eating. But he's not hiding under anything, he just seems to be staying in a lower corner. I haven't seen the hippo nipping at him but every once and a while he hovers overhead. I did my research and it seems my tank is big enough for both of them. I am worried about the little guy (actually he's about 4 inches, so not much smaller) Any words of advice?

Fitz4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2008, 09:19 AM   #2
cfw1199
Registered Member

I would say consider yourself a little luck.....From my experiences and others as well...the yellow tang if he/she was there first usually causes a huge scene with a new tang....but for him to be that docile you are lucky...mine beat the crap out of my hippo and the hippo was there first.....

cfw1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Fitz4fish
Registered Member

Well, thats my question. Do you think my yellow tang (who is very docile to begin with) will snap out of this? I guess thats a silly question to ask a human but I am just worried about her eating.

Fitz4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2008, 10:39 AM   #4
steri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cfw1199
I would say consider yourself a little luck.....From my experiences and others as well...the yellow tang if he/she was there first usually causes a huge scene with a new tang....but for him to be that docile you are lucky...mine beat the crap out of my hippo and the hippo was there first.....
+1. I agree completely. I would think that he would eventually snap out of it. I would imagine it's just taking him a while to get used to the new guy on the block.

If he hasn't stopped eating or anything, I would bet he'll snap out of it soon.

Current Tank Info: 220 with T5HO lighting. ETSS skimmer.
steri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2008, 10:40 AM   #5
r0bin
Registered Member

How long ago did you introduce the blue hippo? Did you QT the hippo? I would be on the look out for possible health problems. If not that then I think the yellow will snap out of it once it gets used to the new fish.