Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2010, 05:30 PM   #101
Genetics
Registered Member

Santoki, did you measure PAR when you setup the LED lighting? If so how do those measurements compare to currently?

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 05:49 PM   #102
Santoki
Shimmer Addict

PAR measurements are in my original build thread here.

I have not made any new measurements since they were first built. I don't expect to see any luminous decay with these Crees in the less than one year they have been running.
Assuming proper cooling, these emitters are rated to keep at least 70% of their original output after 11 years when run at 12 hours per day.
-R

Santoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 11:05 PM   #103
Genetics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoki View Post
PAR measurements are in my original build thread here.

I have not made any new measurements since they were first built. I don't expect to see any luminous decay with these Crees in the less than one year they have been running.
Assuming proper cooling, these emitters are rated to keep at least 70% of their original output after 11 years when run at 12 hours per day.
-R
Thanks for the link. I have read your thread a while back and did enjoy the testing you had done.

You're right. It shouldn't be an issue since the emitters have a low end of 50k hrs. In optimal conditions this is much higher according to Cree's website. On another thread a person was monitoring while switching out different optics and noted an increase in PAR after cycling through the optics a second time. He attributed this increase to a possible "burn in" period.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 11:22 PM   #104
TreyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansWonders View Post
I tried it once, SPS looked good and grew for a few months then started to brown out and loose color. I even noticed that my nice purple rock turned to a more gray color. Needless to say back to MH I went. FIY I was using Cree LED's 1/2 blue and 1/2 white independently controlled with meanwell drivers to get any color temp/brightness. PAR was not an issue either, they were spaced 2" apart on a 18" deep tank. I have yet to find a SPS tank that has made it long term (1+ year) with only LED's. MH are the proven and only way IMO to grow great looking SPS. LED's just have all the hype and energy savings. If anyone can prove me wrong PLEASE let me know
Maybe someone touched on this, I didnt feel like reading this whole thread, but MH is certainly not the only proven way to grow agreat looking SPS tank. There are countless beautiful SPS tanks using T5 lighting systems that rival and dominate over many MH tanks. Ive also seen plenty of great looking LED tanks. Its just T5 has been around longer than LED. And MH has been around longer than T5 ( at least popularity wise).

TreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 11:56 PM   #105
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyk View Post
maybe someone touched on this, i didnt feel like reading this whole thread, but mh is certainly not the only proven way to grow agreat looking sps tank. There are countless beautiful sps tanks using t5 lighting systems that rival and dominate over many mh tanks. Ive also seen plenty of great looking led tanks. Its just t5 has been around longer than led. And mh has been around longer than t5 ( at least popularity wise).
+1

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 02:25 AM   #106
ryanjiang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecpa View Post
I am going to beg to differ. I recently went with 2 4' Reefbrite LED strips for actinic supplement and would have to say that they are equal to VHO's in color (if not better IMHO) and significantly more compact. Several old schoolers who have been married to VHO's for a long time out here in the Bay Area are making the switch.

Personally, I would only use them for supplements at this point. Though I am hopeful that things will improve as the technology improves, I still don't think the arrays have been completely worked out for SPS yet. I salute the people that are pioneering the path with them in SPS tanks. Gonna be game changing once they do for sure.
I just came accross this thread, I agree with sminolecpa.

I am convinced that LED can grow SPS, some of your tank are really nice and sick looking, but I yet to see the same level of breath-taking color and subtle contrast effect from SPS grown by MH, it is kind of feeling that the moment when you see that piece you tell youself I want a frag no matter what.

It may all changed in another 2 years, thanks guys for pioneering!

Unread 06/10/2010, 07:17 AM   #107
beeker
Registered Member

i'm working on sps color as well, the cool white with royal blue combo isn't off by much, my feeling is there needs to be 1 more color temp of white and blue in the mix, i'm in the process of getting 4 PAR38's with 60 optics that have 4 cool blue(470nm) and 1 neutral white led in them, this will allow me to see if a different white/blue blend will allieviate whatever sps color issue's people are having

i've noticed Acan's, Chalice, Zoa's, lps all keep there color fine and do great under the leds, it's just hit or miss for certain sps color's, some of my colors looks great under leds while others have browned a little

my tank has only been up a little over 3 months so it's still new and i'm still working out the bugs, water qaulity and lighting both play huge roles in color and i feel in the next 8-9 months i'll be able to achieve the color and growth people are looking for, i'm more than willing to try as many differen leds that i have to until i get the combo right

to all the T5 and MH guru's just remember that MH and T5 weren't the norm years ago when this hobby started, remember they used to use NO flourescents, lol

pioneering is fun for everyone

beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 08:47 AM   #108
ros_sco
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoyhng View Post
impressive growth! And what is the colour combination?
He is using 1 x 12K, 2 x 16K, 2 x 22K, 1 x 440nm actinic and 1 x 470nm actinic for a total of 7 tubes.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon 72"L x 25"H x 27"W custom 3/4" acrylic reef tank with custom sump, 3 x Radion XR30 Pro with 2 80 watt T5, Aqua C EV180 skimmer, Geo 818 CA reactor, 4 x Vortech mp40 & 2 MP60, Apex controller
ros_sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 09:49 AM   #109
Santoki
Shimmer Addict

I think the focus really needs to be more on husbandry/water quality rather than lighting. IME for the most part, I've always produced similar color intensities no matter what type of lighting I used. It wasn't until fairly recently that I've noticed improvements after getting my water parameters where they should be and stable.
We seem to forget the "65k" sodium vapor bulbs that were used way back in the day. SPS grew and displayed nice colors under those lights. No one would even think about using those nowadays.
-R

Unread 06/10/2010, 11:21 AM   #110
wfournier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoki View Post
i think the focus really needs to be more on husbandry/water quality rather than lighting. Ime for the most part, i've always produced similar color intensities no matter what type of lighting i used. It wasn't until fairly recently that i've noticed improvements after getting my water parameters where they should be and stable.
We seem to forget the "65k" sodium vapor bulbs that were used way back in the day. Sps grew and displayed nice colors under those lights. No one would even think about using those nowadays.
-r
+1

wfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 03:54 AM   #111
huskysglare1
Registered Member

anymore tanks?

Current system: 170G+50g Sump/Bio-Pellet Reactor. 2x400w Radium+2x110w VHO. 2 x HYDRO Magnum 8 + 1xMP60w (removed 2 x Koralia 4). SWC 300A Cone (had SWC 200 w/ Red Demon); it's AWESOME! BRS DOSER(Cal, Alk, and Mag).

Current Tank Info: 170g+50g sump
huskysglare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 11:06 AM   #112
heaton
Registered Member

I can't wait to make the switch.

heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 02:19 PM   #113
Tank2379
Registered Member

These LED's look nice an all but I'm still looking for the facts that these are going to last long term... They may be good for a year or two but what happens after that? They may be good for a year or 6 months? But I guess we will not know until it is tried out and people actually have success so far they look good on some tanks. I just wish we can get some manufacturer specs or something that they've tested on long term that has worked well over a year or more.

We have all these LED's out now and I have yet to see any real proof that they are going to last as long as they say they will? I even hear 8year??? Well if anyone out there has the facts from a manufacturer let me know and point me to the right direction....

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 04:01 PM   #114
Santoki
Shimmer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
We have all these LED's out now and I have yet to see any real proof that they are going to last as long as they say they will? I even hear 8year??? Well if anyone out there has the facts from a manufacturer let me know and point me to the right direction....
start from the beginning of this thread.

All your concerns are addressed here and then some...
-R

Unread 06/22/2010, 09:03 PM   #115
reeftrinh
Registered Member

Photobucket
fts

Photobucket

rts

Photobucket

lts

its a 29 biocube w/ a retrofit leds, vortech 10es, tunze 9002, mj1200 upgrade. i have 16 cree xpg royblues and 10 q5's cool whites dimmed at 60%. dose vitamin c and use tropic marin bio calcium. weekly 4g wc w/ reef crystal salt.

Photobucket
this photo was taken around early march. you can see the comparison with the fts that were taken today.

Last edited by reeftrinh; 06/22/2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added info
reeftrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 12:21 PM   #116
RichConley
Registered Member

Quote:
These LED's look nice an all but I'm still looking for the facts that these are going to last long term... They may be good for a year or two but what happens after that? They may be good for a year or 6 months? But I guess we will not know until it is tried out and people actually have success so far they look good on some tanks. I just wish we can get some manufacturer specs or something that they've tested on long term that has worked well over a year or more.

We have all those specs. They're published in the manuals for the LEDs. This is pretty easy to find info.

Unread 07/16/2010, 12:44 PM   #117
Santoki
Shimmer Addict

Quote:

How many of you can actually keep your water parameters stable for even a year? I know that has been one of my biggest challanges.
All it takes is one Alk spike or drop to make for a really bad day.
And that has nothing to do with LEDs.
-R

Unread 07/16/2010, 01:35 PM   #118
jestersix
Registered Member

My biggest problem with LEDs is (granted it is well down the road) when the time comes to change them out. It is most certainly not a task for the average hobbysit. Maybe things will change, but I see that being a big drawback - even so, I am using LEDs on my frag tank (PAR 38) to see how the frags grow - half is under MH/T5 combo, the otehr half LED. Curious to see how it plays out.

jestersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 02:18 PM   #119
Santoki
Shimmer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersix View Post
My biggest problem with LEDs is (granted it is well down the road) when the time comes to change them out. It is most certainly not a task for the average hobbysit. Maybe things will change, but I see that being a big drawback - even so, I am using LEDs on my frag tank (PAR 38) to see how the frags grow - half is under MH/T5 combo, the otehr half LED. Curious to see how it plays out.
I'm not sure that is a valid concern for people like you (using PAR 38).
However, your point highlights the importance of choosing a fixture which is built with good quality emitters, which tend to have much better lumen maintenance. This ensures the end user is getting their money's worth. Most commercial manufactures do not publish what types of LEDs they use let alone specifications like lumen maintenance.
If you are building the unit yourself, then replacement ease is a moot point.
-R

Unread 07/16/2010, 07:36 PM   #120
neoyhng
Registered Member

Quote:
I knew what you meant....but if this is really what you meant then you shouldn't asked the question now. LED are only available to the public for 2 to 3 years and I suppose NO one could answer your question.

neoyhng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2010, 10:51 AM   #121
saf1
Registered Member

From a DIY point of view LED's offer the unique ability to customize the look of your tank as it relates to color. Buying something premade from a manufacture you are getting what they build and sell rather than picking and choosing when you build your own. Not to mention you can custom fit surface coverage and by using optics focus areas that may otherwise need more or less lighting.

I think more and more people are starting to see how darn easy it is to build these rigs so we should see more and more sample images coming. I've started with a 6 gallon nano and now planning a 20 gallon for my son and a 150 gallon main display. I wouldn't use anything else moving forward just because of the control I have.

Not to mention the DIY forum has just too much initial positive vib about them its too hard to ignore. They are here and I don't think it is going to go away. But how good they are in the long run is hard to say because there are two fronts to watch. Manufacture vs DIY. I think those who DIY will yield the best results though but that is just one mans opinion.

If nothing else its a expierment and fun

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 03:30 PM   #122
Shawnts106
Registered Member

Exclamation Ho' Kay!

... So Ive read this thread and many more and it seems like people are missing something here...

I keep reading "LEDs cause browning" and "loss of color" or... "not good color" etc...

it seems like COLOR is the MAIN issue, not growth....

Maybe its JUST ME but In most of the brown SPS LED lit tanks.... Im seeing algal growth.... hair, brown dinos, diatoms.. some sort of algal growth....

which is obviously a nutrient issue....

Unstable water parameters will also cause browning if I remember correctly...

So can we not assume that this is a possible cause of coral browning... that it is a possibility that the Nutrient issues have gotten correlated with LED lighting?

It makes sense to me that if someone upgrades their lighting on their aquarium they are probably going to start paying more attention to it, possible feeding more, whether it be fish or corals... which could cause a nutient load increase...

this is one possibility.

Non-the-less, this is what I keep noticing in brown SPS LED lit tanks... ALGAE!

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby
Shawnts106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2010, 04:16 AM   #123
ecomdesign
Registered Member

I think the browned out looking corals come from the photographers limitations. I am not a great camera man by any means. I have a DSLR with 6 different senses and I have a hell of a time getting my acro to show its true color. In person they are a nice green with blue tips, however when I take a pic the go brown. Atleast that is my problem...

ecomdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2010, 08:20 PM   #124
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

LED VS MH(3x400 20k)-----Yes I took the plunge and to be quite honest I don't think Ill ever go back.
This systems have sooo much capability and yes for my trained eyes the spectrum takes some time to get used to but I do think with minimal T5 supplementation the 20k look can be acomplished and provide corals enuff light for color.
This experiment is way to new only a week, but in 6 months I will have more info for you guys.

First pic 3x400 20k on lumenbrights- galaxy e-ballasts-- powerbrite supps x 10
[/IMG]

This pic under 4 aquaillumination modules at 50% white/100%blue
[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2010, 08:30 PM   #125
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Again its very hard to draw conclusions since my tank has been under LEDS for a week only and I still son't have a color combo I like.

Will the acros loose color must likely since its a big change, will they get it back its only a matter of time, patience and some good husbandry.

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote