Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2018, 05:55 PM   #1
fishing guide
Registered Member

Tank stand question

Would I run into a problem if I placed a 72” X 29” aquarium on a 72” x 24” stand (strength is not a concern, stand is very strong)? (220g on a 180 stand). Would 3/4 plywood hanging over the 2.5” on each side be sufficient? Thanks for your input!

fishing guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 06:36 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Maybe.. If its a rimless you certainly want to do something.
Best to simply extend the top with plywood as stated..
Depending on the specifics of the stand I'd likely do a bit more than just a sheet of plywood on it. Like attaching a 1x2 or something to the stand sitting under the cantilevered edges of the plywood..

Unread 09/24/2018, 02:43 AM   #3
sfdan
Registered Member

In whatever analysis you do, you should also account for the ease of tipping it over. I don't quite know exactly what the inflection point would be for a stand that is "too narrow", but in your case a significant amount of weight will be outside of the dimensions of the base, including the glass panels which are heavier than the water. If the stand is particularly tall than the chance of tipping would be worse.

You also are going to be taking away valuable real estate inside the cabinets for all your support equipment.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Akram
Registered Member

No you should get the right stand. water is very heavy and he has to be equally distributed over the stand. 220 gallon is as heavy as a small car. Just me.

Akram is offline   Reply With Quote