Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2018, 06:19 PM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

Got a chance to pick up some used Radion XR15 G4...worth it?

I've heard so much about the Radions. I've been running a Kessil AP700 on my 80 gallon tank. Beautiful light. But I just can't get past the growth differences for those running the Radions. its a significant difference in the speed of growth for those that have them. After only a year, I'm considering the Radions. Just found two used setups that are about 1.25 years old. Come with two XR15 lights, mounting hardware and the eco tech wireless controller selling for $600. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on what I'd need to know before purchasing used gear? Not really been my style, but at this price, thought it might he worth it. He's upgrading to a larger system, so these don't do it for hi

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 08:13 PM   #2
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. These are solid lights and should last a long time, plus Ecotech makes almost all their gear upgradable by the end user. I think that is a great selling point. I have no problem with Ecotech products, just with their prices. New this setup would cost you roughly $1000, so $600 seems good to me.

Unread 08/21/2018, 09:14 AM   #3
kenpau
Registered Member

Have 2 XR15 Pro G4's on my 2ft shallow cube. Awesome lights!!

43065117834_ec447ef36d_k by kenpau01, on Flickr

The problem I had is having no idea what kind of a punch these lights give, luckily a local reefer offered to use his PAR meter on my system.
At an 8" run height I'm getting about 290 PAR on the top rocks and around 185 on the sandbed, this is at 50% intensity, I'm estimating but these things should kick out close to 600 PAR for my acropora at 100%

20180818_103131 by kenpau01, on Flickr

So I'd suggest proper acclimitisation is essential with these lights, they are fricking powerful!!

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon mixed reef
kenpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 08:01 PM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^ Nice what are you dimensions?

So RussC you want to put two XR15 on a Red Sea XL 425?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 09:13 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussC View Post
I've heard so much about the Radions. I've been running a Kessil AP700 on my 80 gallon tank. Beautiful light. But I just can't get past the growth differences for those running the Radions. its a significant difference in the speed of growth for those that have them. After only a year, I'm considering the Radions. Just found two used setups that are about 1.25 years old. Come with two XR15 lights, mounting hardware and the eco tech wireless controller selling for $600. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on what I'd need to know before purchasing used gear? Not really been my style, but at this price, thought it might he worth it. He's upgrading to a larger system, so these don't do it for hi
I don’t think you will see any difference in growth rates in your case. The Kessil AP700’s grow corals as good as any light out there. In fact, some might argue they grow coral better than the Radions. When comparing Radions to Kessils to other high end lights from a growth standpoint from one tank to the next, the difference is often the tanks age and maturity, nutrient levels or light setup as opposed to the brand so just because somebody with Radions is growing corals faster than you with Kessils, rest assured, it’s not just the brand of lights that’s making the difference. After over 30 years in this hobby, I’ve come to learn that there is much more to growing coral than just the lights. I’ve used, tested and or setup most the popular LED’s out there past and present including Radions, Kessil 360’s, AP700, Mitras, Reef Techs and more and I could grow pretty much any coral with any of the above and not see an appreciable difference in growth rate on the same tank.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 09:22 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

I will direct you to this thread where the G4 Pro’s were compared to the Kessil 360WE’s side by side over the same tank. While the AP700 isn’t the same as the 360WE, it compares VERY favorably to two of the 360WE’s and would produce the same growth results when setup properly side by side. I know this from first hand long term experience as I have both the 360’s and the AP700 here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2646404

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 07:03 AM   #7
RussC
Registered Member

Great info. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 08:06 AM   #8
kenpau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
^^^ Nice what are you dimensions
Thanks mate, it's a 2ft shallow cube, so 600mm x 600mm x 300mm

Unread 08/22/2018, 07:51 PM   #9
moondoggy4
Registered Member

My tank is similar but it is 24"x 20"x 12". Your tank looks great thanks.

Unread 08/23/2018, 10:11 PM   #10
kenpau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
My tank is similar but it is 24"x 20"x 12". Your tank looks great thanks.
Cool, I love a shallow reef!! Do you have a tank journal mate?

Unread 08/25/2018, 06:34 PM   #11
moondoggy4
Registered Member

No journal, I have a single AI Prime HD over it now, I only have a few corals in it, so when my tank matures I will switch the light to a Giesmann Matrix II Dimmable 4 x 24 light. Right now it would be a waste of light bulbs to hang it over my tank. My tank is going through the terrible two's right now algae everywhere, the tank is only a few months old right now.

Last edited by moondoggy4; 08/25/2018 at 06:45 PM.