Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2010, 07:09 PM   #26
scbrooks87
Registered Member

Thanks DWZM, I think I can just kinda put it together one piece at a time and compensate for the sockets in the fittings when I cut the PVC, since its a small tank, it shouldnt be an issue as most of the plumbing is fittings anyway lol... Just small bits of pipe to actually connect one fitting to another.

I'll email my self pics of my fittings real quick and post what i've got going on.

scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 07:11 PM   #27
jimmyj7090
aka John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Just measure the depth of the slip fitting and allow for the extra length when you cut. No need to dry fit. Write it down if working with fractions is a challenge. Most the 1" PVC has a 1" socket depth which makes it easier. Once you add the PVC cement, the pipe will go easily to the bottom of the fitting with very little pressure, just a slight twist.
Post bump

The above is the most useful suggestion here IMO.

lubricating will interfere with cementing, and dry fitting will never be accurate. Carefully cutting square and measuring accurately will get you closer than anything else suggested. Repeating - dry fitting is NEVER accurate, and lubrication is going to mess with the cementing process

Current Tank Info: 57G, RBTA's Zoa's and softies
jimmyj7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 07:27 PM   #28
scbrooks87
Registered Member

So here's the plumbing pics... One is a pic of just the pieces laying out, the other is a pic of the parts just laying down in a mock up of their actual layout... then i just posted a pic of the bottom pane of glass for my external trough. 3 bulkheads for the bean animal drain system!

YAY!

What do you think?

-Scott

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00011-20100808-2309.jpg (58.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00012-20100808-2322.jpg (55.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00019-20100817-1953.jpg (62.9 KB, 21 views)
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 07:29 PM   #29
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMgy View Post
PVC uses what's called "Interference Fit", this design has very high tolerances which makes it near impossible to dry fit PVC.
While the joint is considered an "interference fit" joint I would not go as far as saying it is "high tolerance"

The socket (female) portion of the joint is tapered, the male portion is not. While we can consider the fit an "interference fit" and many manufactures list the joint as such, it is more akin to jamming a round peg in a square hole

When I think of "interference fit" I imagine a joint where both the male and female fittings are tapered to the same high tolerance or a parallel fit that requires one part to be expanded (or contracted) to fit the joint. A morse taper quill and arbor (tapered interference fit) or a bearing on a motor shaft (parallel interference fit) are examples.

Not trying to argue, just kinda laughing at how poorly PVC pipe tolerances really are.

Quote:
Well the "Interference Fit" combined with the solvent is what allows PVC to create a sold bond/connection. When you apply the solvent and push the two pieces together the high tollerance is creating friction between the two pieces which causes the PVC to actually melt.
Nah I would submit that in practice.... the solvent melts the PVC. The soft PVC can be easily pushed deeper together where the tight fit displaces the softened pvc and solvent mess. The "friction" has little to to with the fitting of the joint and instead the solvent, PVC solids in the cement and tight fit allow a fairly uniform high surface area weld.

Does a rock fall to earth or is it pulled to earth

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 07:57 PM   #30
das75
Registered Member

I'll dry fit deep enough so it doesn't fall off and I'll mark the pipe and fitting, glue and move on. I won't cut all the pieces at once but go joint to joint. Just spend time taking in account fitting depth.

Current Tank Info: 145g Starfire display (mixed reef) w/75g basement sump & 20g refugium, Barracuda return, Dart w/OM 4way CL, AI Hydras and Director.
das75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2010, 09:34 PM   #31
Tony78
Boston Terrier Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by das75 View Post
I'll dry fit deep enough so it doesn't fall off and I'll mark the pipe and fitting, glue and move on. I won't cut all the pieces at once but go joint to joint. Just spend time taking in account fitting depth.
+1 for going piece by piece

Tony78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 03:44 PM   #32
dadummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickupman66 View Post
I sure this goes without saying, you can always cut more off, but you cannot add it back on.

on the complex plumbing I did under my tank to both utilize existing fittings and hit a specific part of the floor, I cut and fit each part as I went. I dry fit most of it but left extra room knowing that the solvent would allow a closer fit than dry. I did have one issue when it came to the returns, my cross pipes were too short after glue and I had to cut and splice to make it fit. it sucked, but ended up working. but for the most part, I cut and glued each piece then moved on. the tank mains are 2" and the CL is 1.5"

clear cleaner and clear glue wont make a mess

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 04:58 PM   #33
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

My concern is that the plumbing is supported by its own joints and the pump. There really should be support hangers to carry the load.

Unread 08/28/2010, 05:42 PM   #34
jimmyj7090
aka John K

The non removable check valve worries me.

Current Tank Info: 57G, RBTA's Zoa's and softies
jimmyj7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 06:25 PM   #35
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Did even notice the CV... I certainly hope that has NOTHING to do with flood prevention.

Unread 08/28/2010, 08:57 PM   #36
Pickupman66
Registered Member

yes it is non removeable, but will be removed in the near future and replaced with a better system. the sump can handle the full siphon of the tank to the inlets.

Plumbing is supported but cannot be seen in the photo.

ive always like the blue. lets me know I got it good.

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote