Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2012, 04:17 PM   #1
robertmi
Registered Member

Maxima clam spawned

That is the good news. The bad news is it usually takes them being stressed to release gametes, which is the case for me. I received a new, free, large bacteriostatic water treatment unit, which said it was supposed to only be a big carbon filter to remove odor and taste from drinking water. I hooked it up to a mag 5 pump and by the next morning everything was super mad. Some things died like a few sps corals and major tissue recession on some lps but that is when I saw the clam spawing. I did a 1/3rd water change that day which is about 35 gallons and then did another 35 gallons the next day. Things are getting better. I thought I would give a heads up about that particular carbon filter. Don't use it, there must be something else in it besides carbon. Back to the good news, the clam looks and acts fine and it was really neat to see it spawn. It released lots and lots of stuff. Doubtful any new clams will suddenly show up in my tank but we all can dream.

robertmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2012, 07:57 PM   #2
moliken
Registered Member

water change to avoid high trAtes

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2012, 11:49 AM   #3
robertmi
Registered Member

I did the 2 big water changes, do you think I need to do another already? My skimmer has taken some really smelly stuff out.

robertmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2012, 09:21 AM   #4
moliken
Registered Member

should be ok

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote