Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2014, 09:09 PM   #51
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

What I don't understand is how can there be so many people praising these pumps and so many people with leaking seals and other quality issues?

The only thing I think these pumps have going for them is they are pretty energy efficient for the amount of water they move when compared to Iwaki types, and they also transfer less heat because of the impeller/volute being separate from the motor. But neither of these is worth the hassle of replacing leaking seals every year.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 09:45 PM   #52
Robby2782
Registered Member

How much hotter does the iwaki get? I'm trying to stay on topic here, but just curious.

I see on Marine Depot where Reeflo get's tons of high marks, but there's a few where someone guarantees they'll leak.

If the carbide seal was installed in the very beginning would that keep the reeflo from ever leaking?

Robby2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 11:53 PM   #53
Triton_Z
Registered Member

It's a trade-off. If you cannot tolerate any leaks or this pump is installed in a location where service is difficult, don't use a Reeflo direct drive style centrifugal pump for the application.

Most of the Reeflo pumps use a direct drive pump impeller and housing with a mechanical seal. This seal can and will leak over the normal course of the service life of this pump (3-5 years I think would be good). I have had great service life out of a Reeflo Dart pump (3 years so far), but it's well ventilated and not throttled. This is also a FOWLR tank and there is no real presence of calcium deposits (like what you would expect in a reef tank). I choose this pump due to the installed location of the pump being easily accessible, leaks can be tolerated when they start, and wanted the most flow for my power input.

The Iwaki pump is a mag drive style pump and is seal-less. With the exception of an oring, there are really no other places for the pump to leak. You will likely experience no leaks on this pump during the normal life of the pump, however the power input for the same flow will likely be higher. Heat transfer from the pump end will be higher, but its just a matter of whether you can manage the additional heat.

I'd say for most people's applications, the Iwaki, PanWorld, or Bluelines magdrives would be the most appropriate choice. I still have a Iwaki pump from the 1990s and it doesnt leak

Again, just size up your application and use the right pump for the job.

Thanks for all those who have shared their experiences on replacement mechanical seals for these pumps. I will keep the notes and hopefully use them when I have to rebuild this Dart.

Unread 02/28/2014, 12:17 AM   #54
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton_Z View Post
It's a trade-off. If you cannot tolerate any leaks or this pump is installed in a location where service is difficult, don't use a Reeflo direct drive style centrifugal pump for the application.

Most of the Reeflo pumps use a direct drive pump impeller and housing with a mechanical seal. This seal can and will leak over the normal course of the service life of this pump (3-5 years I think would be good). I have had great service life out of a Reeflo Dart pump (3 years so far), but it's well ventilated and not throttled. This is also a FOWLR tank and there is no real presence of calcium deposits (like what you would expect in a reef tank). I choose this pump due to the installed location of the pump being easily accessible, leaks can be tolerated when they start, and wanted the most flow for my power input.

The Iwaki pump is a mag drive style pump and is seal-less. With the exception of an oring, there are really no other places for the pump to leak. You will likely experience no leaks on this pump during the normal life of the pump, however the power input for the same flow will likely be higher. Heat transfer from the pump end will be higher, but its just a matter of whether you can manage the additional heat.

I'd say for most people's applications, the Iwaki, PanWorld, or Bluelines magdrives would be the most appropriate choice. I still have a Iwaki pump from the 1990s and it doesnt leak

Again, just size up your application and use the right pump for the job.

Thanks for all those who have shared their experiences on replacement mechanical seals for these pumps. I will keep the notes and hopefully use them when I have to rebuild this Dart.
Dan,
I am glad you have had 3 years of service so far, but that is definitely not my experience. If throttling back HH pump causes the seals to fail prematurely, that should be advertised, and would have stopped me from buying one in the first place.

I would be happy with three years of service, but 12 months between leaks sucks, and is not worth the trouble.

Again, Reeflo CS is good, but the pumps need better OE seals.

Unread 02/28/2014, 12:21 AM   #55
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby2782 View Post
How much hotter does the iwaki get? I'm trying to stay on topic here, but just curious.

I see on Marine Depot where Reeflo get's tons of high marks, but there's a few where someone guarantees they'll leak.

If the carbide seal was installed in the very beginning would that keep the reeflo from ever leaking?
I don't think the heat transfer is a big issue. I haven't seen the temp in my 465any higher after switching to the Iwaki 70, but there is more heat transfer in an Iwaki/Pan World type pump than a Reeflo because of the design.

Unread 03/17/2014, 02:47 AM   #56
caolewis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazel View Post
Hello again all,

US Seal PS-1905 is the fix.

It is a Silicon Carbide seal made for harsh environments.
If the part of the seal that fits in the impeller is WHITE you do NOT
have a Silicon Carbide Seal.

When the one I ordered showed up is was clearly of superior quality than the crap seals I have installed for the past 4 years. The part of the seal that fits into the impeller is a very dark gray. I got mine from Sunplay_dot_Com

If you need to get one just Google "US Seal PS-1905" its about $40.00
Hi, any update on your pump leaking? I have similar issue after trying two seal kits sent from reeflow. I am about to try out US Seal PS-1905, but like to check on how well that one works.

caolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 07:13 AM   #57
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Yes an update now that time has passed would be great before ordering!

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 10:37 AM   #58
caolewis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
Yes an update now that time has passed would be great before ordering!
Can Anyone send private message to "wazel" for the update on here please? I am newbie and it won't allow me until I have 10+ posts. I have similar symptom and need it a cure fast for this damn Barracuda Reeflo pump leaking.

caolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2014, 02:43 PM   #59
wazel
Premium Member

Seal update

Hello all,

I am happy to report my HHG is running without a single drop of water leaking from anywhere. I must say it is amazing what the right part can do to make you love a machine again. The Silicon Carbide seal did the trick. Also a quick install tip, coat the steel cup that fits into the bracket with a heavy coating of Silicon Plumbers Grease. After you press the cup into the bracket carefully wipe away the extra grease that squishes out on both sides. The half of the seal that goes in the impeller does not need grease. I'm glad I could help you all !

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef, AquaMaxx EM300,65gal sump,Delta Star Chiller
wazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2014, 05:59 PM   #60
wazel
Premium Member

PS-1905 U.S. Seal SCS Shaft Seal Assembly

U.S. Seal PS-1905 Silicon Carbide Seal for your most demanding pool, hot tub and spa applications.

Features:
Silicon Carbide, Viton & Stainless Steel
Superior Abrasion, Corrosion & Chemical Resistance
More forgiving when pump is run dry or accidentally loses prime
Compatible with all pool and spa chemicals
Best choice for Salt / Bromine Generator and ozonator applications

Description:
5/8" Shaft
Silicon Carbide, Viton & Stainless Steel
For your Most Demanding Applications

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef, AquaMaxx EM300,65gal sump,Delta Star Chiller
Unread 04/15/2014, 09:51 AM   #61
wazel
Premium Member

Still running dry

Any of you other guys having any results with this seal?

Unread 04/15/2014, 09:55 AM   #62
ostrow

I ordered and received one. Looks right. When the Reeflo one fails I will install and report.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 08/21/2014, 03:15 PM   #63
wazel
Premium Member

Still Good

Just an update.

Still running dry !

Unread 08/21/2014, 03:20 PM   #64
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazel View Post
Just an update.

Still running dry !
That is great....Reeflo should make this improved seal an OE part, even if it raises prices a bit.

Unread 08/21/2014, 03:27 PM   #65
david_lee
Registered Member

i had a month old reeflo barracuda/hammerhead gold seal leaked and replaced it with the one above, its been running over 6 months without any leak..

david_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 03:32 PM   #66
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I must be lucky. My dart is still leak free after 8 years of continuous service!

Wonder if this seal fits my pump or if they have a comparable one.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 06:40 PM   #67
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I must be lucky. My dart is still leak free after 8 years of continuous service!

I'd say you have one of those "if it ain't broke........" situations, hehehe!

Unread 08/21/2014, 07:09 PM   #68
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post

I've got 3 years on my Dart Gold and 3 years on my Hammerhead Gold with no leaks. Both are running the original seals, knock on wood. I need to remember this thread though just in case I need some new seals. I actually have spare factory seals on hand but I got those when I got my new pumps and haven't needed them. I also keep a set of spare pumps too just in case of an emergency.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 07:24 PM   #69
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I've got 3 years on my Dart Gold and 3 years on my Hammerhead Gold with no leaks. Both are running the original seals, knock on wood. I need to remember this thread though just in case I need some new seals. I actually have spare factory seals on hand but I got those when I got my new pumps and haven't needed them. I also keep a set of spare pumps too just in case of an emergency.
You are ridiculously lucky.

Or running fw!

Unread 08/21/2014, 08:27 PM   #70
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
You are ridiculously lucky.

Or running fw!
I have enough (several) friends running Reeflo Darts and other Reeflo pumps without regular seal failures to know that I am not as lucky as you think. The internet always seems to skew statistics because people automatically turn to the forums when they have an issue. How often is that that we see threads like "My Reeflo Works Great!" or "My Iwaki Works Great"? Thousands of these pumps are sold annually and more often than not, the only time people speak up online are those who have issue.

That said, I've run Little Giants, Iwaki's, Silent One's, Eheims and almost every other pump you could think of. I know from experience over the last 25 plus years what to expect. I used to run several high flow Lim "Wave" pond pumps with modified salt water seals. I ran them for more than 15 years and was prepared to swap pumps when the seals started leaking every few years. It's one of those things that goes with the territory. I kept spare pumps so I could rebuild the seals at my leisure. They are very similar to the Reeflo pumps which are basically a modified upgraded Sequence pump. The Wave Pumps ran a Baldor motor like the Reeflo's.

These big Baldor type motors don't hold seals as well as a conventional pump like an Iwaki or Little Giant whose seals last indefinitely. Unlike a little giant or Iwaki whose motor is more compact and purpose built, the Baldor type motors use spans all kinds of applications of which pumps are only one. I can only assume that the run out on the motor shaft of these larger pumps is more sloppy than motor designed specifically for pump use. That or the shaft material is more porous or imperfect causing seals to wear out sooner. At the end of the day, I know from experience going into these pumps that having spare seals on hand is important. I bought seals when I bought my first Reeflo several years ago.

As I said, I also keep spare pumps on hand in addition to seals but that's simply because if I have a hardware issue, I want to be able to resolve it in 5 minutes or less. My pumps are plumbed with double union ball valves and my spares and plumbed with fittings and ready to drop into service. Unplug a pump, shut a pair of valves twist a couple unions and pull it out and drop the new one in it's place. The best thing about these pumps besides efficiency, noise level etc is that the only thing that really fails is a simple to replace cheap seal.

Bottom line is that these larger pumps will need seals more frequently but for the most part, they are pretty reliable. The motors are bulletproof and the pumps are insanely efficient as far as Watt's per GPH. They also don't transfer much heat which can save money on cooling and are VERY quiet. Are they perfect??? No but are they worth the occasional seal replacement which is really a simple DIY process?? I'd say so from my experience. Given what we seem to know from this thread about alternative seals, I'd say that should make seal replacement a bit more comforting for those who are really worried.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 08:36 PM   #71
ostrow

I wish it were that clean.

I've used several of these for years because of the efficiency and quiet, and low heat.

But the seals on every single one have been weak (less than 18 months), and when they leak, if you don't catch it right away, bye-bye bearings. Top it off with, ahem, inconsistent service and support, well...

Mostly its the heat issue that keeps me using them, and now these seals.

Yes, keep spare seals and backup pumps already plumbed to quickly swap! Only way to fly!

Unread 08/21/2014, 10:27 PM   #72
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Honestly, Chris at Reeflo is awesome and as a company they have amazing customer service.

They have always gone above and beyond to help, fix or replace anything that was not working as intended with no hassles or arguments.

I'm glad you got your pump fixed. I have both a Dart and Hammerhead and I would never buy another brand of pump simply because of how well they take care of their customers. I know the seals leak which can be an issue if not caught right away especially if the leak is on wood flooring. As a maintenance guide, I replace my seals every year.

As a note, the O-ring should be checked for damage and lubricated with a silicone lubricant.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:30 AM   #73
ostrow

Maybe he went through a bad period, then. Can happen to anyone.

Unread 08/27/2014, 11:52 AM   #74
dja1980
Registered Member

This is great information, as I'm in the process of replacing seals on 2 Darts after about 4 years of continuous use. Has anyone found a Silicon Carbide replacement for the Dart? The link in post #47 only references standard carbon from Grainger. I was just getting ready to order some seals directly from ReeFlo, but I'd rather order the higher-quality replacements mentioned here if they are available for the Dart.

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 12:12 PM   #75
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Guess I'll chime in here. I've been running a Hammerhead, barracuda and dart pumps for almost 8 years with no issues. My dart has a very slight leak, maybe a drip an hour or so. Nothing that I've ever worried about. The dart has actually up until 6 months ago, been in continous service for almost 10 years.

I picked up a trident III at FRAG last year to replace the dart as it was getting noisey. I wrote up a review on the Trident in this forum. Needless to say, I'm getting my dart rebuilt to quite it down some. .

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote