Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2011, 10:26 AM   #26
cassell19
Registered Member

This thread has me a bit concerned--are the MP10s loud? Would I better better served with powerheads in the tank? I know they would take up more room, but the last thing I want is lots of noise. I would probably run the MP10s about 70%.

cassell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:50 AM   #27
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell19 View Post
This thread has me a bit concerned--are the MP10s loud? Would I better better served with powerheads in the tank? I know they would take up more room, but the last thing I want is lots of noise. I would probably run the MP10s about 70%.
Those that hate Vortech's (like some in this thread) will tell you they are noisier than a jet engine.

Those that love Vortech's (like some in this thread) will claim they are dead silent.

Mine is 4 feet from me right now running around 60%. With my computer on, I can't hear it. When my computer is off, I can definitely hear it but it is just white noise to me and doesn't bug me.

Go hear them in person first and decide for yourself.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 11:05 AM   #28
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Good choice. If you ever feel like you need more (or want more flow options) it's only $100 per pump to upgrade those MP20s to MP40wES.
That's great news. I thought it was $150 to upgrade? $100 is definitely more appealing. I just felt that the MP20 would give me more options in the long run. I am sure the MP10's would have worked fine too, as well as any Tunze pump.

Many thx.........great topic and great responses to help me....thx RC.

Unread 11/01/2011, 11:09 AM   #29
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Those that hate Vortech's (like some in this thread) will tell you they are noisier than a jet engine.
Those that love Vortech's (like some in this thread) will claim they are dead silent.
Mine is 4 feet from me right now running around 60%. With my computer on, I can't hear it. When my computer is off, I can definitely hear it but it is just white noise to me and doesn't bug me.

Good explanation. I have MP60's on my 180gl and run them at approximately 70% to keep the noise down. If I run them at 100% they are definitely noisy, but love the pumps and consider the noise a non issue IMHO.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess

Unread 11/01/2011, 11:26 AM   #30
E.intheC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post

Good answer. For the record, I don't hate Vortechs or love them.. Although they're louder than Tunzes, I wouldn't personally consider the noise of a properly set up, functioning Vortech to be loud enough to sway my decision.

Unread 11/01/2011, 12:31 PM   #31
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
Good answer. For the record, I don't hate Vortechs or love them.. Although they're louder than Tunzes, I wouldn't personally consider the noise of a properly set up, functioning Vortech to be loud enough to sway my decision.
Yes, they are definitely louder than Tunze pumps when the Tunze is in the water. I started my Tunze out of water just for fun and was surprised how loud it was. It is quite a bit louder than a Koralia but the mounting is 100x better. You can actually aim a Tunze. Koralias can be "half-aimed" if you know what I mean.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 06:36 PM   #32
camaroracer214
Registered Member

i've owned multiple vortechs and multiple tunzes...including both the mp10w es and the 6095 (which i just got).

i've had to send my vortech mp10 back to ecotech marine twice in a little less than a year because of noise issues. and i'm not talking about a little noise, i'm talking about hearing this thing three rooms away and through closed doors. that being said, this is obviously not the normal operation for this pump. a vortech that is operating as it should isn't all that noticeable. you can hear the pump ramping up and down as the speed changes, but with other background noise (like protein skimmers, trickling water, etc), it's not near as noticeable. with the vortechs, and every piece of equipment you'll ever buy, it's really kind of a crap shoot. some work very well, others not so much.

as for the 6095, i haven't had enough time to get a good judge on it, but so far it delivers. it's slightly louder than the 6055, presumably because it's putting out more flow, and the flow appears to be a bit wider than the other nanostreams.

obviously the tunze will have a larger in-tank footprint than the vortech, but what you get with the tunze is a quiet pump, the ability to point it wherever, and proven long-term reliability. i've had a tunze 6105 running for two years solid and in that same time frame i've gone through two vortech mp40w and two mp10w es pumps (all on different tanks of course).

as for the misinformation going around about the flow rates on the tunze pumps...the ecotech marine sponsored flow study only looked at the larger stream pumps. sanjay joshi was used only as a technical reference in the study and an ecotech marine intern collected the data and wrote the paper. and sanjay's name was only included because he helped a little, which is why his name is listed last on the authors tagline and not first. regardless of sanjay's or ecotech marine's involvement, the flow study had some pretty sizable flaws that should cause all of us to at least have some doubt as to its validity. instead, most people just swallow the information as if it is infallible.

camaroracer214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 06:59 PM   #33
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroracer214 View Post
as for the misinformation going around about the flow rates on the tunze pumps...the ecotech marine sponsored flow study only looked at the larger stream pumps. sanjay joshi was used only as a technical reference in the study and an ecotech marine intern collected the data and wrote the paper. and sanjay's name was only included because he helped a little, which is why his name is listed last on the authors tagline and not first. regardless of sanjay's or ecotech marine's involvement, the flow study had some pretty sizable flaws that should cause all of us to at least have some doubt as to its validity. instead, most people just swallow the information as if it is infallible.
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/07/wat...g-results.html

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 07:25 PM   #34
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
With nothing else making the noise, you will hear them, they are not silent. I would call tehm more noisy than loud, but I could easily hear my MP40 over 15 feet away and up into a hallway. I have owned 3 different ones, all very similar in noise. I like the pump, just cannot have nthe oise. By comparison, I cannot hear Tunzes more than a foot away from the tank. It is the nature of them being submerged, but it does not change the fact that they are far quieter.

Any typical reef noise will drown out the vortechs. I had a Solar Flare T5 setup, with the IceCap fans, and could not hear the MP40 over them. But I also have a very quiet house and silent tank setupso any noise anything makes sticks out like a sore thumb.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 09:37 PM   #35
camaroracer214
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
a good deal of information has since come to my attention since that article was published. i've actually started to have doubts in the testing equipment and the methods, though i still don't think anyone was out to intentionally damage other companies.

regardless, let's get back on topic and answer the questions of the op. i think either pump would do well in this aquarium, but in terms of long term reliability and quiet performance, my vote is on the tunze 6095.

camaroracer214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:04 PM   #36
trmiv
Registered Member

Quote:
I've owned an MP40 and now an MP10. I find the MP10 significantly louder than my MP40 ever was. Some of that is because I have to run the 10 at 100% max in reef crest where I had the 40 at about 60% max in reef crest, but even then I think both pumps at 100% the MP10 is louder. Maybe because it's higher pitched? Not sure, but it bothers me more.

Last edited by trmiv; 11/01/2011 at 10:12 PM.
trmiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:42 PM   #37
dagon138
Registered Member

I have 3 mp10's in my elos 70 (55g "sort of cube").
With 2, I was running them close to 100% to get the kind of flow I wanted. Mind you, I run them on the back only so that is probably not the more efficient method.
Anyways, IMO mp10's are very quiet till you get over 60% throttle then they gradually get louder. At around 80%+ especially in short-pulse mode I would consider them unacceptably loud to me.

With the 3rd one, I was able to dial them down to unnoticeable levels. I still occasionally I turn them up to blast things. Mind the glass thickness as well, mine at ~3/8' glass barely hang-on.

dagon138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:58 PM   #38
5pacey
Registered Member

Other than the actual flow velocity and GPH in the results. Have you noticed that the diagrams showing the velocity relative to the center of the flow - IOW, width of the stream, do not significantly differ between the Vortechs and the Tunzes? That I found a bit odd because it is "common" knowledge that Vortechs have "wide" flow and Tunze's have "narrow" flow.... I would have expected the flow cone to be at least somewhat wider in the results for all the Vortech pumps. It is also something EcoTech advertises.

Not sure if this just adds some validity to the "impartiality" of the study or that this theory of Vortechs having a wider flow is not entirely correct.

I have owned both the MP10 (for a short while until I whined and complained about the noise enough that they let me return it) and subsequently two 6055s. The MP10 definitely felt like the flow was wider, than the 6055s to me... so I am not sure how the results are not showing that.

Any ideas?

Spacey

5pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 08:20 AM   #39
cassell19
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses--with my 65g on planned on two MP10s, so I hope noise won't be an issue. I'm sure I'll be able to keep them at 60-70%. If not, it may be time for the Sicces and my RKL!

cassell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 09:05 AM   #40
beachbreak
Registered Member

I use an MP10 on my cube and love it. It definitely makes some noise - especially in the blue pulse mode I keep it on during the day. Awesome polyp extension and water movement in the tank but...

waaaa waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

All day long lol.

It's in my office so I don't really care but if it was in my living room it's be a different story.

beachbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 10:32 AM   #41
Marco Mansano
Registered Member

Hi guys!

Let me tell my little experience about this pump (vortech and tunze).

Today I have in my reef (120 x 70 x 60 cm) this pump both (vortech MP 40 and tunze (2 x 6105 and 4 x 6045)

I noticed that turbelle (6105 and 6045) no makes noise however MP40 do much more noise. Theses 6105 i put one controller tunze and i donŽt notice if they are working or no. I think that tunze is better, but vortech is a great pump too.

I only have these both pump because I changed this vortech with other equipament. IŽll only wait little for change this vortech to other 2 tunze, but now, IŽll buy this 6095 that is more small that 6105

If youŽll use one controller tunze (7095 or 7096), is possible put a flow that you want. IŽll think that will be the good choise.

Thanks

Unread 11/02/2011, 10:34 AM   #42
BocaIvan
Registered Member

VorTech MP10 hands down!

BocaIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 11:33 AM   #43
stevedola
Master of my domain

I own a 60g cube tank and run 1 mp 10 and 1 modded tunze 6045 with a return of about 700gph. I find it difficult to keep the sand storms at bay with the vortech all the way up butsome areas are weak on flowrate. that being said, it really depends how you position your rock in a tank that size Im sure I could move the rocks on the back wall and prolly get better movement. I have a middle island that comes up about 2/3 the way. The mp 10 is on the back right wall under neither my custom OF. The movement rocks for about 2/3 the tank but the back upper left is weak. If I had the money to spend I would ditch the tunze 6045 and get another mp 10 but dial them down a little and go antisync to get better movement in/out. I have always loved tunze products and service and owned (pumps/steams/controller/skimmer ect)them since 2005 but if you need to spend the money up front why not have the pump come with the controller included. There is no way I would have only 1 vortech in my tank be it mp20/mp40...just too lateral in movement. especially for SPS (imo) you want a random back and forth movement.Im thinking for xmas that Ill be upgrading my flow to replace that 6045 but I may just buy more corals.

My vote is for the 2 mp 10s

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 11:37 AM   #44
stevedola
Master of my domain

and as for noise on the mp10...I can barely hear the humm on full blast. I dont know what you guys are talking about but maybe you have the pump alligned incorrectly.

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote