Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2018, 01:52 PM   #5626
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Well. Today was the day.....

Today, for the first time, I saw him actively chasing frozen food around the tank when I fed Brine this morning. He grabbed several from the water column, but his main method was to corner them on the bottom of the tank and eat them that way. It's been a battle getting him to eat anything other than Collared Greens and Clam on a Half Shell!

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 06:15 PM   #5627
carrots
Registered Member

Congratulation, sounds like she has settled in.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 10:10 PM   #5628
locito277
Registered Member

Here’s mine. Little one has been with me about 3 months or so. Eats everything I toss in while big boy is eating and they are getting along well. https://youtu.be/FtISTbVXOGE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 07:45 PM   #5629
roberthu526
Registered Member

Well decided to join the party and bought a 4" true red sea regal from NYAquatics. I have heard a lot good things about that place and my 125G was setup for months and ready to go. Today marks one week and the fish still hides most of the day even when there is no one in the room ( I have a camera setup monitoring the tank so I know ). I have tried hikari mysis, cobalt mysis, LRS reef frenzy, hikari angel formula, clam, oyster, mussels on half shell but he is not interested in any of those. I am wondering how long it took your angel to come out of hidings?

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 11:28 AM   #5630
dohc97
Registered Member

It really depends, mine hides from time to time but knows me, so if I startle him he hides but otherwise he is very curious and comes right out to see if I have food.
When I first got him he would hide for almost anything but was eating out of the bag. Bought mine at about 2.5" he has grown about half an inch but stillbhas his eye spot. Hang in there, hopefully no stress for him in that tank?
Mine eats mostly nls pellets and mysis, small only, does not like giant pe mysis.also try black worms if you can find them

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 11:50 AM   #5631
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthu526 View Post
Well decided to join the party and bought a 4" true red sea regal from NYAquatics. I have heard a lot good things about that place and my 125G was setup for months and ready to go. Today marks one week and the fish still hides most of the day even when there is no one in the room ( I have a camera setup monitoring the tank so I know ). I have tried hikari mysis, cobalt mysis, LRS reef frenzy, hikari angel formula, clam, oyster, mussels on half shell but he is not interested in any of those. I am wondering how long it took your angel to come out of hidings?

Is he picking at your live rock? Mine was skittish but always picking at rocks. I always have live sponges mix my aquarium. Anyone picking on your regal?

Unread 01/28/2018, 02:50 PM   #5632
m0nkie
Registered Member

what's a good source of sponge? I have to buy them in little cubes from the Angel Mix.. sometimes I buy a whole fan sponge to supplement. looking for a cheaper option

Unread 01/28/2018, 02:57 PM   #5633
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohc97 View Post
It really depends, mine hides from time to time but knows me, so if I startle him he hides but otherwise he is very curious and comes right out to see if I have food.

When I first got him he would hide for almost anything but was eating out of the bag. Bought mine at about 2.5" he has grown about half an inch but stillbhas his eye spot. Hang in there, hopefully no stress for him in that tank?

Mine eats mostly nls pellets and mysis, small only, does not like giant pe mysis.also try black worms if you can find them

Thank you for sharing.
The other two fish in the tank are both less than two inches and juveniles. I don’t think anything is stressing the fish out. But he just hides behind the rocks 23hours 59 minutes a day. I really have no opportunity to get any food in front of him which really worries me.

Unread 01/28/2018, 03:00 PM   #5634
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Is he picking at your live rock? Mine was skittish but always picking at rocks. I always have live sponges mix my aquarium. Anyone picking on your regal?

No. Which is why I am worried. I think the regal maybe too big already. I bought a 4” one but I think it is over 5” which makes it even harder to adapt to the new environment. The good thing is he’s still fat and in fairly good shape so maybe I still have a few days to wait. Fingers crossed.

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:19 PM   #5635
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
what's a good source of sponge? I have to buy them in little cubes from the Angel Mix.. sometimes I buy a whole fan sponge to supplement. looking for a cheaper option

Live-plants.com has some tree, ball and another type! Wish there were more companies selling larger sponges

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:20 PM   #5636
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
No. Which is why I am worried. I think the regal maybe too big already. I bought a 4” one but I think it is over 5” which makes it even harder to adapt to the new environment. The good thing is he’s still fat and in fairly good shape so maybe I still have a few days to wait. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed. Try some clams on the half shell or buy live littleneck clams at the market. May pique his interest. None of mine touch blackworms at first

Unread 01/29/2018, 06:35 AM   #5637
carrots
Registered Member

It may help if you turn off filters and water current and for a while and drop some clam or mysis shrimp in the area that your Regal is hiding. The smells will intensify and hopefully get it to start eating. If no interest, I remove most of the uneaten food and try again later. Keep an eye on your water quality. A lot of uneaten food can cause more problems.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 09:22 AM   #5638
Reef908
Registered Member

I got mine to eat with a freshly shucked clam in a qt tank. One he got a taste of that he ate everything I put in. Mine did come from NY aquatic also and did have flukes. I dosed prazi and then he was acting more adventurous and started eating. I’ve had him one year now and I don’t see any noticeable growth length wise but he eats like a champ in a tank with some aggressive tangs and is nice and fat and always out and about. Good luck!

Unread 01/29/2018, 09:27 AM   #5639
Reef908
Registered Member

Photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E192031-C74E-4C43-9BD1-B127C149953E.jpg (79.7 KB, 62 views)
Unread 01/29/2018, 09:35 AM   #5640
rockslide123
Registered Member

Quote:
I have had a 4" regal in a 125g 2X2X4 for about 7 months now. Have you tried putting Nori rubber band to a rock not too far from his hiding place.? That's how I got mine started he goes crazy on it. You can keep rotating a fresh piece every 8 hrs or so. Possibly he'll see tank mates pecking and get the idea.

Good Luck!

rockslide123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 10:32 AM   #5641
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
I got mine to eat with a freshly shucked clam in a qt tank. One he got a taste of that he ate everything I put in. Mine did come from NY aquatic also and did have flukes. I dosed prazi and then he was acting more adventurous and started eating. I’ve had him one year now and I don’t see any noticeable growth length wise but he eats like a champ in a tank with some aggressive tangs and is nice and fat and always out and about. Good luck!

Interesting. I may dose prazipro just to make sure it’s not fluke that is making the fish hiding. I haven’t done so yet because I heard prazipro suppresses appetite. But I don’t seem to have anything to lose at this point.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Unread 01/29/2018, 10:33 AM   #5642
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Live-plants.com has some tree, ball and another type! Wish there were more companies selling larger sponges

Great! Which kind do you recommend? I see they have three kinds but not sure which to buy. Thank you.

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:54 PM   #5643
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef908 View Post
Photo

Great looking fish!

Unread 01/29/2018, 10:31 PM   #5644
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:
Great looking fish!

Thanks! Tank needs some TLC after 3 weeks in the Philippines but fish all made it through. Definitely overfed with the auto feeder. My regal is what I work around and is my favorite fish with the purple tang and Juvie harlequin right behind it.

Unread 01/30/2018, 12:13 AM   #5645
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Great! Which kind do you recommend? I see they have three kinds but not sure which to buy. Thank you.

I can tell you all mine pick at the tree sponge but order them all. They all get picked on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 01/30/2018, 04:25 PM   #5646
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
I can tell you all mine pick at the tree sponge but order them all. They all get picked on

Good to know. Thanks a lot for sharing. Those sponges actually look pretty colorful. I may buy a bunch and just have a sponge tank lol.

Unread 01/30/2018, 06:03 PM   #5647
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks a lot for sharing. Those sponges actually look pretty colorful. I may buy a bunch and just have a sponge tank lol.

My seahorse tank lol

Unread 01/31/2018, 03:22 PM   #5648
roberthu526
Registered Member

Okay I turned off the gyres before I left home today and the Regal definitely got bolder. I can see him swimming out of the rocks and hanging out on the side of the tank. I took a short video via my web cam and posted it on YouTube. Below is the link. Tomorrow morning I am going to put a new oyster in where he is today. Hopefully he will start showing interest in good. This Regal is definitely on the big side. The tank is 18” front to back so the fish is probably close to 6” which is probably why it is so timid and shy.
https://youtu.be/kOKaPhJpgLE

Unread 01/31/2018, 03:46 PM   #5649
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay I turned off the gyres before I left home today and the Regal definitely got bolder. I can see him swimming out of the rocks and hanging out on the side of the tank. I took a short video via my web cam and posted it on YouTube. Below is the link. Tomorrow morning I am going to put a new oyster in where he is today. Hopefully he will start showing interest in good. This Regal is definitely on the big side. The tank is 18” front to back so the fish is probably close to 6” which is probably why it is so timid and shy.
https://youtu.be/kOKaPhJpgLE

Kind of looks to have the zombie look to me. I’ve never been able to get one to snap out of that. I wish you luck though.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 04:32 PM   #5650
roberthu526
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Kind of looks to have the zombie look to me. I’ve never been able to get one to snap out of that. I wish you luck though.

Zombie look? Is it because the fish swims slowly and don’t seem to be very agile? I totally agree with you on that. Although it did swim quickly back behind the rocks when my wife entered the room this afternoon so I know it still observes the surroundings closely. Thank you tagging along.