Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2020, 01:17 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

CB with cloudy eye, what to do?

Hi
I just got a CB from LAquaria. It's gorgeous, perfect except the eye. I cant QT it, impossible to catch and I have no QT anyhow. I was reading to up the Mg in the tank with epsom salts (??) maybe. And feed with Garlic dipped food (if "he" will eat). Maybe it will resolve on its own?

Any input appreciated!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2020, 05:31 PM   #2
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'll try to fish him out after taking out all the rocks ugh. at least my tank isnt packed wiht coral at all. I'll wait a few days for him to at least settle hopefully not too long to be able to cure? the eye. I have to figure out what to treat with...I can set up a quick hospital 7 gallon tank also.
IF it helps in advising, the white is thick. I can see the eye head on and I can see a little pile of white build up. THe fish is just staying in a spot where I can totall see it's left side, but the affected side is mostly hidden excep I can see at an angle head on the affected eye, and I can see the thickness of it.
ugh
*Is it possible that the eye was totally fine before being shipped out to me? Or is it very likely that a very cloudy and thick build up can happen during a 18 hr trip?

Last edited by CTaylor; 09/22/2020 at 06:43 PM.
Unread 09/23/2020, 08:26 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

I"M reading FWD may fix this? If i need to medicate LA said Maracyn 2. What about Pinafix or and antibiotic? I think I have cipro also. TY!

Unread 09/23/2020, 11:32 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

I did FWD.. looks not as thick, but not clear. I can't find what a good treatment it. LA tells me maracyn, but I'm reading that can hurt the fish more. I didnt see anything on the bottomn of the FWD bucket as in parasites. So I might have bought it some time. What shoudl I do? attaching pic... I have a good one now .. next post, I cant put in this one since this is an edit ugh

Last edited by CTaylor; 09/24/2020 at 12:31 AM.
Unread 09/24/2020, 12:32 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Here's pic after FWD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6124.jpg (62.6 KB, 12 views)
Unread 09/24/2020, 12:34 AM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hopefully this looks right side up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB.jpg (62.7 KB, 13 views)
Unread 09/26/2020, 11:25 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'm treating as per this website, he seems to know what he's doing: http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/Art...l_Diseases.htm

After two days seems eye is less cloudy. He has marks on skin b/c he caught stuck on the net. No more catchign with net! . Not eating :-/ I put in some chaeto hopefully it has pods on it from 'fuge. I put in live brine, no reaction. But i'm sure the fish is super highly stressed. I'll do a back flip if he gets cured, and then eats before it's too late!

Any input ? appciated!
hopefully i'm successful and someone can save another

Unread 10/01/2020, 03:54 PM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

for those that have the issue I did. He died. But I think it may have been do to me netting him. He got stuck to the net and that clearly insured his skin. The eye cleared up after 6 days treatment. But the skin wounds got very bad. Never ate either. So the treatment above does work for cloudy eye. **I learned to scoop out fish such as this with a bowl.

Unread 10/01/2020, 06:42 PM   #9
five.five-six
Registered Member

My vlamingi tang had both eyes very cloudy and I treated for bryopsis with Fluconazole and his eyes cleared up rather quickly.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2020, 10:29 PM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

I was wondering if I should have treated with pimafix or other antifungal, but his eye ended up clear after 5 days, same day he died ugh. It just seemed most searches I did for cloudy eye resulted in bacterial infection, or flukes (i did FWD, no flukes). You're the the only one that responded lol, but thanks .
**would it hurt to treat for both bacterial and fungal? Both meds at same time? For next time

Unread 10/02/2020, 12:26 AM   #11
alice 01
Registered Member

Gutted he died.
I kept checking the post but did not say anything as I've no experience to offer.
I made the same mistake with a foxface and net before back when I first started.
He got hooked on the net and i had to cut the net to free him. I had to cut very close to him and fortunately he was very well behaved so he got away injury free.
I mistake I wont make again. Saucepan after that.
Best of luck with your tank.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

alice 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2020, 08:54 AM   #12
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
I was wondering if I should have treated with pimafix or other antifungal, but his eye ended up clear after 5 days, same day he died ugh. It just seemed most searches I did for cloudy eye resulted in bacterial infection, or flukes (i did FWD, no flukes). You're the the only one that responded lol, but thanks .
**would it hurt to treat for both bacterial and fungal? Both meds at same time? For next time

Sorry to hear that.

I am by no means any sort of expert on fish disease, none whatsoever.

I only offered that as my, really only successful experience treating a fish disease in over 40 years of fish keeping. And it was completely accidental on my part as I was treating for bryopsis.

It also saddens me that nobody else responded.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 10/02/2020, 11:33 AM   #13
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Sorry to hear that.

I am by no means any sort of expert on fish disease, none whatsoever.

I only offered that as my, really only successful experience treating a fish disease in over 40 years of fish keeping. And it was completely accidental on my part as I was treating for bryopsis.

It also saddens me that nobody else responded.
Prob no one knew what the treatment was even though it's not that uncommon. Though now I know what netting can do to certain fish. The net was so stuck on the butterfly, was really a bad situation.
BTW mollies may keep your bryopsis from growing signifincatly. And Mex turbo grazers -- 20 medium or larger per 125 gallons will keep the rocks totally clean of it. They wont touch it if it has any length at all. If you do that monitor the # of mex turbos still alive and replace before you see any growth. So hopefully I helped you out in the future

Unread 10/02/2020, 12:12 PM   #14
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Prob no one knew what the treatment was even though it's not that uncommon. Though now I know what netting can do to certain fish. The net was so stuck on the butterfly, was really a bad situation.
BTW mollies may keep your bryopsis from growing signifincatly. And Mex turbo grazers -- 20 medium or larger per 125 gallons will keep the rocks totally clean of it. They wont touch it if it has any length at all. If you do that monitor the # of mex turbos still alive and replace before you see any growth. So hopefully I helped you out in the future

Are you talking freshwater black white or Dalmatian mollies? I knew they are like monos and do brackish, I didn’t know they were reef safe.

"I hate that hole"