Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2012, 08:32 AM   #276
rehype
Registered Member

Heres a quick rundown

Lighting

The tank is currently lit by a 24" 6 bulb ATI Dimmable T5 sunpower. Theres also XHO reefbrites for actinic supplementation. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. The lights are currently about 8" off the surface. Light cycle runs from about 7-6 with the lights ramping from 0-100%. Maximum light output is maintained from 10-4 and then ramps back down.

Water Movement

Currently i have two MP10W which sync and are controlled by a neptune apex controller. The pumps run at a maximum of 50% and currently utilize all the modes provided by ecotech. Every few hours the pumps change modes to create a very diverse flow pattern throughout the day.

Filtration

Ive used a number of different filtration methods but recently decided to go back to the basics. Most recently i was vodka dosing and then shortly after using a GFO/Carbon reactor. Long story short i was stripping my water clean and starving my corals. So i decided to go back to using a refugium. I dedicated one chamber of my sump to cheatomorpha and the other to caulerpa prolifera. Im using 16 watt flood light over each chamber and its on 24/7. This keeps my nitrates at 0 and my phosphates at about 0.06 I run a small bag of GFO to get phosphates a bit lower as to help outcompete nuisance algae in the display but i have to be careful so as to not lower it too much and risk killing the good macroalgae.

Dosing

I currently only dose Reef code B for Alkalinity from Brightwell Aquatics.Im using a drews doser(controlled by my apex) to dose around 6ml daily.The system doesnt consume enough calcium between water changes to require dosing. (Oceanic saltmix runs really high in the calcium department) I perform 5 gallon water changes weekly and add additional iodide,potassium and trace elements to enhance the saltmix.

Feeding

Im feeding 1-2 times daily. I alternate mainly between spirulina brine and mysis shrimp.. I also feed rotifers,baby brine shrimp,reefpearls,pellets and zooplankton.

Hope that answers most questions but if you have any others feel free to ask.

rehype is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 11:12 PM   #277
fhwynn
Registered Member

I have found the tank i want!

fhwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2012, 09:01 AM   #278
rehype
Registered Member

Thanks fhwynn

Unread 04/13/2012, 02:48 PM   #279
rehype
Registered Member

One more full FTS

Unread 04/13/2012, 03:54 PM   #280
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

Looking nicee.

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 04:12 PM   #281
rehype
Registered Member

Thanks charley

Unread 04/13/2012, 04:14 PM   #282
Charley Diesing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehype View Post
Thanks charley
Welcome!

Do you happen to have a fish/invert list?

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless: In the planning stage of next build.
Charley Diesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 04:31 PM   #283
rehype
Registered Member

Blue eyed cardinalfish
Picasso Clownfish
Hippocampus reidi seahorse
Yasha haze goby
Blood Shrimp
Yellow Melanarus wrasse
Hawaiian Harlequin shrimp
Bumble bee shrimp
Pom Pom Crab
Bullseye pistol shrimp
Blue Pistol shrimp
Halloween hermit crab

Unread 04/14/2012, 09:40 AM   #284
rehype
Registered Member

Just some other pictures

Unread 04/14/2012, 06:50 PM   #285
FishNutty
Registered Member

this is the tank i want eventually ^_^
lovely, lovely job!

FishNutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 10:59 PM   #286
rehype
Registered Member

Thanks alot i appreciate it.

Unread 04/21/2012, 07:50 PM   #287
Mystogan
Registered Member

Quote:
Heres a quick rundown

Lighting

The tank is currently lit by a 24" 6 bulb ATI Dimmable T5 sunpower. Theres also XHO reefbrites for actinic supplementation. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. The lights are currently about 8" off the surface. Light cycle runs from about 7-6 with the lights ramping from 0-100%. Maximum light output is maintained from 10-4 and then ramps back down.

Water Movement

Currently i have two MP10W which sync and are controlled by a neptune apex controller. The pumps run at a maximum of 50% and currently utilize all the modes provided by ecotech. Every few hours the pumps change modes to create a very diverse flow pattern throughout the day.

Filtration

Ive used a number of different filtration methods but recently decided to go back to the basics. Most recently i was vodka dosing and then shortly after using a GFO/Carbon reactor. Long story short i was stripping my water clean and starving my corals. So i decided to go back to using a refugium. I dedicated one chamber of my sump to cheatomorpha and the other to caulerpa prolifera. Im using 16 watt flood light over each chamber and its on 24/7. This keeps my nitrates at 0 and my phosphates at about 0.06 I run a small bag of GFO to get phosphates a bit lower as to help outcompete nuisance algae in the display but i have to be careful so as to not lower it too much and risk killing the good macroalgae.

Dosing

I currently only dose Reef code B for Alkalinity from Brightwell Aquatics.Im using a drews doser(controlled by my apex) to dose around 6ml daily.The system doesnt consume enough calcium between water changes to require dosing. (Oceanic saltmix runs really high in the calcium department) I perform 5 gallon water changes weekly and add additional iodide,potassium and trace elements to enhance the saltmix.

Feeding

Im feeding 1-2 times daily. I alternate mainly between spirulina brine and mysis shrimp.. I also feed rotifers,baby brine shrimp,reefpearls,pellets and zooplankton.

Hope that answers most questions but if you have any others feel free to ask.
This is what I want to do. Thank you for all the info.

Mystogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 07:16 PM   #288
rehype
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystogan View Post
Thank you for all the info.
No problem glad i could help.

Unread 04/23/2012, 07:50 PM   #289
ange062
Registered Member

Love the latest pics hype, tank is looking great!! The diversity of stuff you have in there still trips me out though! (i.e. a seahorse in a high-flow SPS tank, etc).

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 08:44 PM   #290
jmsalt1
Registered Member

This is one of my absolute favorite tanks on RC. Do you have any shots of the tank in the context of the room?

jmsalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 09:11 PM   #291
rehype
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Love the latest pics hype, tank is looking great!! The diversity of stuff you have in there still trips me out though! (i.e. a seahorse in a high-flow SPS tank, etc).
Thanks alot ange your tank looks fantastic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsalt1 View Post
This is one of my absolute favorite tanks on RC. Do you have any shots of the tank in the context of the room?
Thanks alot jm unfortunately i dont have any ATM.

Unread 04/30/2012, 10:23 PM   #292
nano_reefer2010
Registered Member

Just want to say, the tank looks incredible! If you don't mind me asking, when you switched to the LED fixture, what was dimensions of the spread? I'm very interested in building a tank of similar dimensions (24x24x12) and was looking into getting 2 AI Sols.
Also, do you still run the chiller now that you aren't using the MH?

nano_reefer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2012, 02:26 PM   #293
rehype
Registered Member

Thanks alot nano-reefer. The dimensions of the spread on the nanobox fixture was 24"L x 19-20"Depth x 20" Height. I would suggest 2 AI sols for the best coverage over a 24X24 area.

Yep i still run the chiller because the T5's give off a good amount of heat.

Unread 05/02/2012, 01:36 PM   #294
cdrewferd
Registered Member

What happened to your dwarf moray?

cdrewferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 02:05 PM   #295
rehype
Registered Member

I took him out because i didnt like keeping the tank covered

Unread 05/06/2012, 09:00 AM   #296
rehype
Registered Member

Some SPS pics

Last edited by rehype; 05/06/2012 at 09:59 AM.
Unread 05/06/2012, 09:28 AM   #297
MedRed
Registered Member

Stunning!

Unread 05/06/2012, 09:30 AM   #298
gorally
Registered Member

Just want to say you have an amazing tank. That inspired me to build one of the samll tank like yours. I am even more admire your photo skill. I am having problem getting your clarity and depth of field. Did you use tripod or flash? Most of your photo are right on with a large DOF. I used a Nikon 105 2.8 macro but never able to capture anything like yours. May be you can share some of your skill here. Thanks.

gorally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 10:20 AM   #299
rehype
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
Stunning!
Thanks med!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorally View Post
Just want to say you have an amazing tank. That inspired me to build one of the samll tank like yours. I am even more admire your photo skill. I am having problem getting your clarity and depth of field. Did you use tripod or flash? Most of your photo are right on with a large DOF. I used a Nikon 105 2.8 macro but never able to capture anything like yours. May be you can share some of your skill here. Thanks.

Thanks alot gorally. Well for those SPS shots i was using a wider lens and larger aperture to get most of the sps in focus. I didnt use a tripod or flash for those particular shots as i wanted to the shots to reflect how they look under my tanks lights. But if your having trouble getting clear well exposed shots i would definitely recommend a tripod and external flash.

Unread 05/06/2012, 08:23 PM   #300
gorally
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks med!

Thanks alot gorally. Well for those SPS shots i was using a wider lens and larger aperture to get most of the sps in focus. I didnt use a tripod or flash for those particular shots as i wanted to the shots to reflect how they look under my tanks lights. But if your having trouble getting clear well exposed shots i would definitely recommend a tripod and external flash.
What ISO did you use and what kind of WB did you pick? My WB tends to be bluish no matter what I picked, manual or preset. I tired different lens but I seems not focusing even the camera think the object is in focus.

gorally is offline   Reply With Quote