Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2019, 04:37 AM   #1
ocram
Registered Member

Herbie emergency drain hight

Hi guys

I'm planning a Herbie style overflow with a trickle down the emergency drain. I noticed that everyone seems to choose the emergency drain hight lower than the weir, so that the water drops down by about 1/2 to 1 inch.

What would be the cons of mounting the emergency drain a little higher, so that the water does not fall down in the overflow box but instead "just flows in".

As a pro, I see no noise at all.
A con could be less room to the top of the tank and therefore less room for the edrain to start a full syphon. That however wouldnt bea concern in my tank.

Thanks, Marco

ocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 04:09 PM   #2
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

you will get noise on the drop if your flow is really high. so high that water shoots forward and drops instead of the intended design of water coming down attached to the inner wall of the box.

if you make the emergency higher, level might bounce, as water will try to exit the emergency first, then main gets less water, so level goes down, then fills up again to emergency and cycle repeats.

is your overflow box two layers?

on mine, there is an inner box and an out box about 1/4" or so apart. The outer box has slots near the bottom where water can get sucked in. The flow is induced by Bernoulli effect at the top hence the drop is necessary to create the fast water flow speed between the inner and outer box gap to create the sucking action so water flows in from the bottom slots. I think this is a genius design.

if your emergency is slightly lower, it will muffle the trickle sound more.

I made mine 2 or 3" lower, can't remember for sure, but definitely not 1" or less.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 04:22 PM   #3
ocram
Registered Member

Hi, thank you very much for your reply.

However, I'm not sure if I understand. Why might the water level bounce if the emergency drain is a little higher so that the water does not drop but just flow in?

I do not have an inner and outer box, I'm planning an external overflow box with no inner box but just a weir in the back wall. Should be the same principle as having a traditional in tank overflow section

Would really appreciate an explanation

Thanks Marco

ocram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 06:14 AM   #4
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Read this, it helped me very much. Other plumbing info on this site was very interesting as well.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-...method-basics/

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 08:47 PM   #5
wildman926
Registered Member

Your emergency drain needs to be 1/4" higher than your main drain. It will be super quiet.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Wildman926, if you read the link above it recommends about a 6" difference.
On mine there is too much variation in height levels to to consider much less.
I believe there would be a lot of water in that emergency drain with such a tight difference.

Unread 04/12/2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Nrdau
Registered Member

Mine is about a 1/4 inch above main drain and I haven’t had any problems in five years

Nrdau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2019, 08:41 AM   #8
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

When I set up my dual Herbies, I set my emergency drains about 3" below the weir. The mains are about another 2" below those.

I don't get any noise from the overflows unless I turn the pump up to flow more than the weirs are designed to handle.

Right or wrong, my reasoning for going so much lower on the main drains was to avoid the mains sucking air from a whirlpool effect from being so close to the water surface. It seems to me that if your main drain is only 1/4" below the emergency this would be a real concern. But I'm just speculating here....

Current Tank Info: 125g LPS, SPS, and a few softies
Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2019, 07:41 PM   #9
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Wildman926, if you read the link above it recommends about a 6" difference.
On mine there is too much variation in height levels to to consider much less.
I believe there would be a lot of water in that emergency drain with such a tight difference.
I don't need an article to tell me how to run a Herbie drain, when I have been running them for over 10 years on 2 different tanks.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herbie