Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2019, 02:03 AM   #1
lgtentacle
Registered Member

What's everyone doing for live rock now?

I'm returning to the hobby after many years away and realized that live reef rock doesn't seem to be available anymore. I always used Fiji rock previously since I liked the color, shape, weight, and ride along critters that came with the rock.

Marco rocks don't look too horrible, but it sounds like they have phosphate leeching issues. Florida rock always looks like base rock to me and I usually don't like the ride along critters from there. The color dyed Walt Smith Fiji artificial rock looks pretty hideous from the pictures.

So what's everyone doing now for a live rock replacement?

In the process of re-wiring my new house for my next tank (hopefully a 300 gallon mixed reef).

Current Tank Info: Currently a 125g fresh, but I'll be switching back to salt soon! (once I get the funds...<cry>)
lgtentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 03:11 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

If you want real live rock? Cjeck out Tampa Bay Saltwater

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 05:43 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

+1000 ^^

Unread 02/16/2019, 08:05 AM   #4
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

If you want Pacific rock, you're kind of stuck in a waiting game at the moment. The two largest exporters of natural live rock in the Pacific were shut down by their respective governments last spring (Indonesia and Fiji).

This is just my guess, but I think it's unlikely that natural live rock from the Pacific will ever be available again in any substantial quantities. However, my LFS just received some of the artificial Walt Smith LR from an aquaculture operation in Tonga. And there's rumors that Walt Smith's operation in Fiji will be allowed to resume exports of the same (cultured artificial rock).

So if you want the ride along critters that come from the Pacific, that may be your best hope. As others noted, perhaps your #1 best source for aquacultured rock right now is Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater. Quite a number of RC members have had good things to say about Richard's aquacultured Walt Smith rock, though I don't have any personal experience with it.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Marco Rock is no more for the hobbyist.
They have gone wholesale only.

Unread 02/16/2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Fourstars
Registered Member.

If your near a major city you should be able to find somebody tearing their tank down.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
If you want real live rock? Cjeck out Tampa Bay Saltwater
yup

Unread 02/17/2019, 12:54 PM   #8
lgtentacle
Registered Member

It's too bad that the manufactured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater that they make in Fiji doesn't just get placed in the local waters there rather than being sent to Florida to make it live. I'd rather get the hitchhiking critters from Fiji than Florida. I'm having a hard time liking the idea of dye colored rock as well.

Ok, sounds like my options are very limited now. Thanks for the info guys!

In the process of re-wiring my new house for my next tank (hopefully a 300 gallon mixed reef).

Current Tank Info: Currently a 125g fresh, but I'll be switching back to salt soon! (once I get the funds...<cry>)
Unread 02/17/2019, 06:34 PM   #9
ghostman
Registered Member

I’d vote for Tampa Bay Saltwater. My rock was very nicely shaped, and not like base rock at all. The added critters, were plentiful, and added to the realistic look. Looking back, I’d do the same. The dyed purple rock just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 07:09 PM   #10
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtentacle View Post
It's too bad that the manufactured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater that they make in Fiji doesn't just get placed in the local waters there rather than being sent to Florida to make it live. I'd rather get the hitchhiking critters from Fiji than Florida. I'm having a hard time liking the idea of dye colored rock as well.

Ok, sounds like my options are very limited now. Thanks for the info guys!
They do. I just got some from the LFS yesterday. I was mistaken - thought it was Walt Smith aquacultured in Tonga, but it was in fact Walt Smith volcanic ash "live rock" aquacultured in Fiji. As I understand it, this was a "special permit", but was told that export permits for this on a regular basis is in the works. Of course, "in the works" could mean just about anything when it comes to "island time".

Unread 02/18/2019, 12:19 AM   #11
lgtentacle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
They do. I just got some from the LFS yesterday. I was mistaken - thought it was Walt Smith aquacultured in Tonga, but it was in fact Walt Smith volcanic ash "live rock" aquacultured in Fiji. As I understand it, this was a "special permit", but was told that export permits for this on a regular basis is in the works. Of course, "in the works" could mean just about anything when it comes to "island time".
dkeller nc, could you please post some pictures of the rock that you just got? I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Unread 02/18/2019, 08:54 AM   #12
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgtentacle View Post
dkeller nc, could you please post some pictures of the rock that you just got? I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.
Unfortunately I can't since Photobucket went off of the deep end in 2017 and wanted to charge folks $400 a year for 3rd party hosting. They've since been punished enough that they've dropped it to about $50/year, but I'm still not going to pay that, and am unwilling to setup yet another online account at Imgur, Flickr, etc...

So I'll offer a description: It's considerably more dense than real live rock as one might expect for a manufactured product. One very nice aspect of it is that all of the horrid purple/red dye that just about every manufacturer insists on putting in their product has been leached out after a couple of years in the ocean. So the underlying surface is "live rock gray". That's topped with a bunch of very colorful encrusting algae in red, orange, blue and other colors that's typical of Pacific live rock.

There was little to no macro algae on it, and it had clearly been colonized by coral during its time in the ocean. That had been removed or had died, of course, since shipping rock with live coral on it is a major no-no for CITES permits.

Unread 02/18/2019, 11:14 AM   #13
lat0403
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
...and am unwilling to setup yet another online account at Imgur, Flickr, etc...
You don't have to set up an account to upload to a place like Imgur. Just upload them all together and then bookmark the link to the page if you want access to them later.

lat0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 04:42 PM   #14
d2mini
Registered Member

Tampa Bay!
Shipped same day air freight. Packed in the morning in water, and placed in your tank in the evening. Doesn't get an fresher or more LIVE.
www.tbsaltwater.com
I highly recommend getting "The Package" to reduce/skip any kind of cycle and maximize the health of your tank.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 09:49 PM   #15
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat0403 View Post
You don't have to set up an account to upload to a place like Imgur. Just upload them all together and then bookmark the link to the page if you want access to them later.
Actually, I don't need to. Kengar just posted a note about Fiji "rock" being shipped again - the pics are on livestockusa's website, and they're pretty much what I got on Saturday.

Unread 02/18/2019, 11:47 PM   #16
lgtentacle
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!

Unread 02/19/2019, 08:13 AM   #17
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Its been well over a decade since I bought live rock. All my tanks are started with dry rock I have hand picked at my LFS (Like Macro Rocks sells) along with a few pounds, depending on the tank size, of GARF Grunge or Grunge +. The GARF Grunge adds a lot of creepy crawly critters, mini brittle stars ect..., but you get a lot of sponges and coralline algae spores to seed the tank with as well. Not the best route to go if Instant Gratification is number one on your list, but I have been very happy with the results although it takes some time for the rock to "mature".

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 08:33 AM   #18
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the LR link. I wish I bought a box when setting up my tank (though I guess it wouldn't have been available then). I started with dry rock and bacteria. Plenty of coralline, but it's all purples and green, and there isn't much "life" to the tank, even with the addition of frags and pods over the year. I may look into the GARF grunge (though how diverse can their grunge be if it's been recycled for the last 20 years, even if it has been fed a varied diet?).

I'd love to buy a rock or two of that fiji direct LR, or maybe a bag of live sand from the pacific.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 10:30 AM   #19
Kengar
Registered Member

Check out http://www.livestockusa.org/UPDATES.html

They have just made available artificial Fiji rock -- I ordered two boxes and will see it Friday.

Per email conversation with Mitch, they are also still ACTIVELY working to get some real, genuine, authentic OLD-SCHOOL stuff in the next few weeks. This could be worth your wait..... See further down in the Current Update page: "For live rock, there is a guy on an island in the Pacific right now setting up to ship live rock. We are hoping to hear in the next couple or few weeks if it is ready to go. So there is light at the end of that tunnel, it is getting closer, and soon there will again be 5-star, AAA-grade, real deal, air freight fresh live rock from the Pacific. I am guessing it will be higher too. They are working on the freight rate negotiations, which is most of the cost of it. "

Last edited by Kengar; 02/19/2019 at 10:45 AM.
Kengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 11:54 AM   #20
cincyjim
Registered Member

Tampa Bay Saltwater all the way!!!! You will not be disappointed.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 02:50 PM   #21
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Thanks for sharing the LR link. I wish I bought a box when setting up my tank (though I guess it wouldn't have been available then). I started with dry rock and bacteria. Plenty of coralline, but it's all purples and green, and there isn't much "life" to the tank, even with the addition of frags and pods over the year. I may look into the GARF grunge (though how diverse can their grunge be if it's been recycled for the last 20 years, even if it has been fed a varied diet?).

I'd love to buy a rock or two of that fiji direct LR, or maybe a bag of live sand from the pacific.
http://www.garf.org/GRUNGEPLUS1/SHOW/index.html

Also from their website...

GARF GRUNGE*
BACTERIA AND OTHER ORGANISMS FROM THE FINEST MARINE AQUARIUMS THAT WE HAVE KEPT DURING THE LAST TWENTY YEARS. WE ADD TO THIS GENETIC POOL OF FILTER ANIMALS EACH TIME WE RECEIVE LIVE ROCK FOR OUR RESEARCH.
GARF GRUNGE* HAS A VERY LARGE NUMBER OF CORALINE ALGAE SPECIES IN IT.

NO WILD LIVE SAND CAN HAVE THE BIODIVERSITY FOUND IN THIS ACTIVATOR!
$5.00 PER POUND
Reef aquariums require a large variety of organisms to filter the water properly. Aquarium habitat is very different from ocean habitat.

Live Sand from a natural reef is good for starting marine aquariums, but each location on a reef has a limited number of species. Poor packing and shipping methods further deplete this fragile wild population.

We have been keeping an unbroken chain of successful reef aquariums in Idaho since 1977. Several times during this period we have had over 100 aquariums. We have researched captive breeding of such diverse species as Chambered Nautilus and Acropora coral.
LIVE ROCK RESEARCH
Our continuing research into the commercial production of tank raised live rock has allowed us to purchase tons of prime live rock and live sand. We select species from the rock for our live rock genetic bank.
During the last year I was able to purchase over 1000 lbs. of the live sand and rubble from the bottom of the live rock holding tanks at several of the most famous live rockers.

This mixture was much more than just live sand!! Hundreds of invertebrates from the tons of live rock held in these tanks are now reproducing here in Idaho.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 11:52 PM   #22
tank121
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Check out http://www.livestockusa.org/UPDATES.html

They have just made available artificial Fiji rock -- I ordered two boxes and will see it Friday.

Per email conversation with Mitch, they are also still ACTIVELY working to get some real, genuine, authentic OLD-SCHOOL stuff in the next few weeks. This could be worth your wait..... See further down in the Current Update page: "For live rock, there is a guy on an island in the Pacific right now setting up to ship live rock. We are hoping to hear in the next couple or few weeks if it is ready to go. So there is light at the end of that tunnel, it is getting closer, and soon there will again be 5-star, AAA-grade, real deal, air freight fresh live rock from the Pacific. I am guessing it will be higher too. They are working on the freight rate negotiations, which is most of the cost of it. "
Let us know how it looks when it comes in. I plan on buying a couple boxes of the real rock when it comes available.

tank121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 09:20 AM   #23
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank121 View Post
Let us know how it looks when it comes in. I plan on buying a couple boxes of the real rock when it comes available.
I spoke with Mitch. Island time....... Hard to say. They are actively working on arrangements, and I will probably swap out some of the other stuff I got from the place in Ohio a few months ago when the real deal stuff comes in, but I jumped at this stuff. I NEED to see some life in this build!

Unread 02/25/2019, 04:29 PM   #24
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank121 View Post

Turns out this was Walt Smith stuff..... at least it came packaged in Walt Smith boxes. Okay, I guess, but to be honest feeling a little "meh" over it. I'll post photos when lights are back on over it tomorrow.

Unread 03/10/2019, 02:21 PM   #25
lgtentacle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Turns out this was Walt Smith stuff..... at least it came packaged in Walt Smith boxes. Okay, I guess, but to be honest feeling a little "meh" over it. I'll post photos when lights are back on over it tomorrow.
Any pics yet?

Tags
live rock