Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2017, 06:39 AM   #51
McPuff
Registered Member

I fully support this build. :0)

Really cool tank. You have so many options for aquascaping! What kinds of fish are planning to keep?

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 11:16 AM   #52
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very cool build!
Between the BK and the dastaco, I see you are doing this RIGHT!
Not to mention the addition of the dehumidifying system..
Really looking forward to the scape.
So much potential..
Reminds me of Steve Weist's tank for dimensions..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 11:22 AM   #53
rus15.rb
Registered Member

Holy reef balls! This is going to be good!

Life's a reef

rus15.rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 12:13 PM   #54
salty_boris
Registered Member

Following along from across the pond... Not much wider than your new build to be fair

salty_boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 01:19 PM   #55
silentstorm
Registered Member

Nice dimensions ... did you plan the house with this tank in mind ? lol... fits the location well.

silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 08:44 PM   #56
RCS82
Registered Member

I'm slightly jealous as well haha. That is an amazing tank and looking forward to seeing this progress.
Don't forget about taking lots of pics haha

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 12:25 AM   #57
flakey
Registered Member

wow, why kind of concessions did you make to get such a big tank???!!! looks great

flakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 12:47 AM   #58
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
With the new design, water is going to seep through the bulkheads anyhow (at least as understand it based on not actually having seen one of the removable designs), so I think the logic is that the gasket is therefore unnecessary. It's actually the reason I chose the older design where the bulkheads do seal (though the skimmer box not removable) - otherwise I think you have to size the sump based on the possibility, at least, that the tank can overflow down to the point of the drain pipes in the external box. I see no issues with using an extra gasket though. Just don't use one directly under the nut as it tends to deform making proper tightening more difficult. The gasket between the tank and the rear box will prevent any water form leaking out of the system.
Yea I think I'm going to use another gasket. As you said I don't see anything wrong with it. Though by looking at the overflow box, I don't see how the removable weir box would make any kind of impact on why or why not you wouldn't put a gasket behind the flange. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow and you can tell me what you think. Maybe I'm missing something. Regardless I think I'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
Whoa, that is WIDE!

Great choice, great placement.

Tagging along.
Thanks bud.i got pretty lucky with the placement. I'm in real Estate and look at a lot of homes and I don't see a lot of homes that this tank would work without wasting a room. Well maybe not a waste to us haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacktosterone View Post
That's Friggen cool! Subbed
Thanks bud.

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 12:55 AM   #59
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Slightly Wide 500 Gallon Reef Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I fully support this build. :0)

Really cool tank. You have so many options for aquascaping! What kinds of fish are planning to keep?

Haha I appreciate he support.

I'm most excited about creating the aquascape and I spent a few hours on it right before the tank came in but I couldn't make anything that I felt was worthy and figured it was time to step back and take a break from it. I haven't gave it another shot yet. Here is a few things I made. I also didn't have all my nylon rods and glue at the time to make cool overhangs or arches.

I plan on keep quite a bit of fish. A big mix of different species but a few that I'm most excited about

Achilles Tang
Morish Idol
Fowleri Tang

I would really like to find a nice hybrid Tigerpyge (spelling)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/25/2017, 01:09 AM   #60
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Very cool build!
Between the BK and the dastaco, I see you are doing this RIGHT!
Not to mention the addition of the dehumidifying system..
Really looking forward to the scape.
So much potential..
Reminds me of Steve Weist's tank for dimensions..
Haha it's funny because Im sometimes cheap and I keep looking for things to go cheaper on but then I stop myself and tell myself to just go ahead and do it right. Even if that means a slower build.

The dehumidifier is ****ing me off currently. I don't think it's working properly.

Steve Weist's tank is actually my main inspiration for what I'm trying to achieve. But a peninsula instead of the one viewing angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus15.rb View Post
Holy reef balls! This is going to be good!

Life's a reef
Haha thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_boris View Post
Following along from across the pond... Not much wider than your new build to be fair
If you don't mind me asking. Where is across the pond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
Nice dimensions ... did you plan the house with this tank in mind ? lol... fits the location well.
No but I got lucky with the location on this house. I'm in real estate and I don't see a lot of homes that would accommodate a very wide tank without actually taking over a whole room. I was fortunate that my entry way works out with my deminsions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS82 View Post
I'm slightly jealous as well haha. That is an amazing tank and looking forward to seeing this progress.
Don't forget about taking lots of pics haha
Im trying to document as much as possible. I'll keep posting pics though.

Unread 08/25/2017, 01:30 AM   #61
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakey View Post
wow, why kind of concessions did you make to get such a big tank???!!! looks great

Ha let me go down the list. And excuse the mess. We are normally very clean people but we're still moving in (for the last 6 months) and we've been doing so much remodeling that I've given up on keeping things clean. Not to mention multiple leaks from a shitty roof replacement. I had two big holes in my ceiling for the last two weeks. Actually worked out great because of the electrical lines I had to run to the garage for the tank.

But to get to that concession list lol

-paint colors downstairs. I wanted white. She wanted grey.
-new pantry (needs to be painted)

-new bench seat at bay window

-we're going with her flooring choice

-I wanted shiplap on the tv wall but she wanted it on the stair wall

-she picked the wainscoting which I acted like I didn't like but I don't mind. I like the simple look. Atleast she agreed to it being 48" tall so that it was the same height as the fish tank stand. It will make the fish tank stand look like it was built into the surrounding

I'm sure there will be more concessions as I go. She uses the fish thank as her trump card.

Unread 08/25/2017, 02:52 AM   #62
dave.m
Registered Member

The furniture is all facing the wrong way. It should be focused on the tank.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 07:14 AM   #63
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
Yea I think I'm going to use another gasket. As you said I don't see anything wrong with it. Though by looking at the overflow box, I don't see how the removable weir box would make any kind of impact on why or why not you wouldn't put a gasket behind the flange. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow and you can tell me what you think. Maybe I'm missing something. Regardless I think I'll be fine.
Like I said, I have not seen the new design in person; but I understood that the skimmer box has PVC pipe stubs that extend out from the back and slip into the bulkheads on the back of the tank. Seemed to me that this would not be a 100% water tight connection - though perhaps any leakage would be so small as to be immaterial.

I see no downside to using a second gasket, in fact, were it me I think I would also

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 07:51 AM   #64
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

I would personally always make sure that any scape structure has negative space facing the viewing oanels. And any rock walls are on the side of the tank that people can't see like against a wall. (negative space being an open view with less rock near the viewing panels

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 08:08 AM   #65
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Ha let me go down the list. And excuse the mess. We are normally very clean people but we're still moving in (for the last 6 months) and we've been doing so much remodeling that I've given up on keeping things clean. Not to mention multiple leaks from a shitty roof replacement. I had two big holes in my ceiling for the last two weeks. Actually worked out great because of the electrical lines I had to run to the garage for the tank.

But to get to that concession list lol

-paint colors downstairs. I wanted white. She wanted grey.
-new pantry (needs to be painted)

-new bench seat at bay window

-we're going with her flooring choice

-I wanted shiplap on the tv wall but she wanted it on the stair wall

-she picked the wainscoting which I acted like I didn't like but I don't mind. I like the simple look. Atleast she agreed to it being 48" tall so that it was the same height as the fish tank stand. It will make the fish tank stand look like it was built into the surrounding

I'm sure there will be more concessions as I go. She uses the fish thank as her trump card.

Buddy, in my books you are getting away with murder.
If my wife let me put in a tank like that, I'd give all the trump cards her heart desired...
Not to mention, she has made some pretty good choices so far..

Good luck with the coming storm!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 09:12 AM   #66
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Pick the fights worth having ..... concede everything else! When we moved into our current house, I got the basement to do with as I pleased; she got the rest of the house. Fish room, big tank, home theater ..... who cares about the rest.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 08/26/2017, 05:08 PM   #67
JaySchulz
Registered Member

@reefmutt I know I can't complain. She is very understanding and she enjoys reef tanks as much as I do. She just doesn't like the maintenance.

@ca1ore I have pretty much conceded on everything else. I do wish I had a home theatre but I don't have enough rooms. Is your tank in the basement?

Unread 08/26/2017, 05:35 PM   #68
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Well since we have been stuck at home today because of hurricane harvey, I decided to start on the plumbing.

Plumbing will be a BeanAnimal set up with 1.5" pvc drains. I decided to use sch80 pvc instead of sch40 because of its extra strength. It might be overkill but it makes me feel better about the plumbings longevity.

Emergency drain is about an 1.5" from top of overflow box. Siphon is about half way down the box and the open is in the middle. I made my first mistake by not having the drain holes separated enough to have enough space for elbows on siphon and open. The siphon drain will just have to be without an elbow. I also had to cut the bulkheads shorter (about 1/2") to accommodate room for the drain lines. If I were to redo the overflow box I would of spaced out the holes and kept them away from the bulkheads.

I went with uniseals for the drain holes instead of bulkheads and I'd be very surprised if they ever leak. Definitely a bit of pain to get the plumbing through the holes. Not a huge deal but I've also realized how difficult it is to decide how high I want my drain pipes with the overflow box being black.

Unread 08/27/2017, 11:16 AM   #69
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Stayed up late last night and got the dry fitting for the drains done. Although not visible each drain has a union above the header. I'm pretty hopeful that with only (2) 45 degree turns I won't have issues purging the air.

Unread 08/28/2017, 04:35 PM   #70
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Trying to aquascape today. I can't make anything I like. I think this the most frustrating part of the reef build.

Unread 08/31/2017, 11:19 PM   #71
fishcatdog66
Registered Member

What if you took the first image, cemented and rodded it together,turned it upside down, added support under where necessary and then added some shelf pieces on top for mounting sps or whatever? Just a crazy thought

fishcatdog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 09:28 PM   #72
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

That flamingo is going to look awesome in the tank .......

Unread 09/02/2017, 09:30 PM   #73
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
@reefmutt I know I can't complain. She is very understanding and she enjoys reef tanks as much as I do. She just doesn't like the maintenance.

@ca1ore I have pretty much conceded on everything else. I do wish I had a home theatre but I don't have enough rooms. Is your tank in the basement?

Tank is in the FM, but all the messy bits are in the fish room in the basement.

Unread 09/03/2017, 01:37 AM   #74
cFloor
Registered Member

Very impressive build and the house is looking great as well! I like the first scape in post #59 minus the middle island. You have some other good ones too, I'm sure you'll get it the way you like.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 06:10 PM   #75
mike810
Registered Member

Great build!! Just a couple notes about the overflow. I had a toothless weir on my 240g tank and I lost some prized fishes due to them being sucked into the overflow and dying. Those fish were expensive too!!!!

I believe I read that you have the removable weir. I have the same with my synergy reef overflow. They're not water tight so plan for some drainage from the tank down or close to the removable weirs when the return pump is off.

I must have glossed over it but which BK and Dastaco model did you get? I have a Deluxe 250 and love it. I also have the Dastaco A3, my first calcium reactor and it was a breeze to dial in.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote