Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2011, 09:56 PM   #1
ryancw01
Registered Member

Anemone split...how much bigger is this thing going to get?

My anemone split and now I have two huge anemones in a 65 gallon. Not really sure what to do here. I do not want 2, but it would be hard to dig one of them out. Am I feeding too much by feeding once a week chunks of raw shrimp? Feeding pieces about the size of my pinky nail(the size of each of their mouths).

On the bottom right side...

Unread 12/27/2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Putty
Registered Member

Dig one out and sell to me :-)

Putty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 10:57 PM   #3
garygb
Registered Member

Beautiful anemone. You're not feeding too much. They will divide once they get to a certain size. Your anemone looks like the picture of health. I would just leave them both alone, but if you absolutely want to get rid of one, maybe you can direct a powerhead on one and if the current is right on it perhaps it will release or start to move and you can grab it.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 11:16 PM   #4
cediss
Registered Member

My RBTA got to around 18 inches, divided into 3 and still got to around 18". IMHO you could cut back feeding since they have photo-synthetic symbionts in their tissue. Feeding less will somewhat decrease the growth and IME result in less likely splits.

cediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 09:13 PM   #5
ryancw01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygb View Post
Beautiful anemone. You're not feeding too much. They will divide once they get to a certain size. Your anemone looks like the picture of health. I would just leave them both alone, but if you absolutely want to get rid of one, maybe you can direct a powerhead on one and if the current is right on it perhaps it will release or start to move and you can grab it.
Ok...maybe I will just leave them alone for now. At least they are both staying right there. I already had to move my clam when they first split so hopefully they both stay put...I just hope they dont get too much bigger...

Unread 12/30/2011, 05:04 PM   #6
scotter
Registered Member

Please see my post "Rose Bubble Tip Colony" to see the potential splits. I know you want to keep corals and anemones together in the same tank, but it's going to be a constant battle keeping the clones under control (they tend to move right next to the coral you treasure most). And as you'll see from my video, the anemones always win. Anemone tanks are beautiful, so don't preclude this possibility.

scotter is offline   Reply With Quote