Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2018, 03:31 PM   #1
DieselBees
Registered Member

New to large tank - ?? re Return Flow

Hello,

I'm new to this site. Not exactly new to the hobby but returning after a hiatus. Setting up very large tank (which I have not done before) and trying to determine size of return lines. Return pumps (2) are Abyzz A200 DC Controllable (rated at 4,400 GPH). With head pressure, resistance, etc. taken into account, I figure I can easily get around 2000-2500 gph each. I assume I can do this and not run them at full power. Have two for redundancy/back up and so I don't have to run at full power.

My main question is - with one of these pumps, can I push that much water through a 1" bulkhead opening. I'm setting up a BeanAnimal system with 1.5" bulkheads and pipes. I'm not exactly sure how much a 1.5" BeanAnimal will do with full siphon but figured it to be close to what I need which is around 4000 GPH. I have 2 return bulkheads drilled at 1" and was considering whether or not I need to make them bigger. Will 2 one inch return lines move that much water? I can use 1.5" return pipes but will need to reduce down to get through the bulkhead. Will that be enough?? Or do I need bigger or more return lines? Any input would be appreciated.

400G display tank. Want to do mixed reef. Have tank but not yet set up...

DieselBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

If you already have 1" return holes drilled in the tank, I wouldn't "make them bigger" -- adding another would make the most sense.

You won't get 4000 out of a siphoned 1.5" drain, but it should be plenty. Turnover within the tank (water movement) is often more important than how fast you get water out and back into the tank.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 02:35 PM   #3
DieselBees
Registered Member

Thanks for replying! Do you think I need another return line? Or should the two I have be sufficient.

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

Unread 10/23/2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

The two you have should be plenty to power a 1.5" siphon drain. Use the extra power from the pumps to also power a manifold.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 08:35 PM   #5
DieselBees
Registered Member

I actually have up to two 1.5 inch siphons. Well the second one is not supposed to pull a full siphon. It's supposed to have a column of air in the middle. The third 1.5 inch drain line is emergency only. It's a BeanAnimal set up.

Thanks for the info. I can always tweek down the road if needed.