Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2012, 03:21 PM   #1
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Lightbulb My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins...

As some of you know, I have a PB Tang that I treated for Ich (confirmed) in copper for over a month, and treated w/Prazi numerous times for Flukes (unconfirmed). And yet she still displays some symptoms of both diseases.

I was fortunate enough to score 30 grams of CP and will be treating her soon in an attempt to get her healthy again so she can someday return to my DT. This thread will document her treatment with Chloroquine Phosphate. This will be my first time ever using this medication.

I'd like to thank alprazo. I've probably read every post you've ever written on here regarding CP. Also, if anyone has any advice to offer please feel free to do it here. I think I've got most of it covered. One question though: Should I leave the lights on during treatment or leave them off completely? I've read conflicting things about this.

TIA

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 09:17 PM   #2
alprazo
Registered Member

Sensitive to light, I use my UV when I wish to end treatment. Anyway I recommend ambient lighting for Qt and treatment tanks.

I wish your PBT well.

Unread 02/23/2012, 09:22 AM   #3
cngreg
Registered Member

Did you confirm krypto with a scope? I've been fooled by a bacterial infection on a pacific blue tang (paracanthus hepatus) that looked a lot like marine ich. Good luck with the chloroquine. What dosing regime are you going with?

cngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 02:36 PM   #4
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngreg View Post
Did you confirm krypto with a scope? I've been fooled by a bacterial infection on a pacific blue tang (paracanthus hepatus) that looked a lot like marine ich. Good luck with the chloroquine. What dosing regime are you going with?
I didn't confirm with a scope. But she had "white sprinkles" all over her and was scratching. The "white sprinkles" vanished a few days after copper treatment began, but more than 6 weeks now after copper she's still scratching and twitching. I haven't seen anymore white spots on her. Multiple rounds of Prazi have failed to have any impact on her symptoms and a f/w dip didn't produce any worms falling out. It's possible this is not Ich but what else am I to do? She can't spend the rest of her life in QT. So I'm gonna give Chloroquine a shot, dosage: 40 mg/gal.

Unread 02/25/2012, 08:23 PM   #5
b0bab0ey
Moved On

OK, treatment has begun... For the record I am using a 29g bare bottom QT with only PVC fittings for hiding places. For filtration I am using an AC 50 HOB w/a seeded sponge. For additional circulation I am running an AC 402 w/a foam insert. I'm also using a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge to keep track of ammonia.

Subjects being treated: Sixline Wrasse, Maroon Clown and Powder Blue Tang. The tang is the only one to still exhibit symptoms (twitching, scratching) after 6 weeks of copper treatment (Coppersafe) for Ich. The other two were just unfortunate enough to be in the same tank.

I did a 50% WC yesterday evening to remove any remaining copper. Copper test ran this morning shows undetectable copper levels. I've also been feeding heavy over the past week in anticipation of possible appetite suppression during treatment. Tank was also thoroughly scrubbed of any algae before treatment as CP is known to have algicide properties. This morning the tang looked particularly bad. She was scratching and was thrashing/twitching about in an almost violent manner. It should be noted that these symptoms come & go throughout the day.

This afternoon I dosed Chloroquine Phosphate at a dosage of 40mg per gal. I dosed for 30 gals of water instead of 29 to compensate for the additional water in the HOB filter. I measured the 1.2 grams of CP using a calibrated scale accurate to 0.1 grams. I've decided to go lights out on my QT during treatment due to concerns about light breaking down the CP. Another source thought that the CP might make the fishes eyes more sensitive to light. The fish will only get ambient light and be fed twice per day.

So far the fish look calm, almost a little sedated. The tang has not had another episode since treatment began. However, this is normal nighttime behavior for her. She usually only scratches/twitches early in the morning before the lights come on or when the lights are on. Ammonia shows 0. Will update in another day or two.

Last edited by b0bab0ey; 02/25/2012 at 08:28 PM.
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:34 PM   #6
birdman1979
Registered Member

Where do you get Chloroquine Phospate?

birdman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:46 PM   #7
vaporize
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprazo View Post
Sensitive to light, I use my UV when I wish to end treatment. Anyway I recommend ambient lighting for Qt and treatment tanks.

I wish your PBT well.
alprazo: are there any other medication that CP might conflict with? like Copper, malachite green, formalin, furan2 etc. ?

vaporize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:53 PM   #8
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman1979 View Post
Where do you get Chloroquine Phospate?
I got mine from a fellow reefer who has a good stock of it. Before that I was having a hard time finding it. You can find it online or I've been told possibly from a vet, but the trick is you usually have to have a prescription to get it. Your vet might be able to hook you up if you explain why you're wanting it. This stuff ain't cheap btw. I did find it here (see link below) for $185 per KILO but it looks like a wholesale place...

http://www.fishchemical.com/Products...2937.Item.html

Unread 02/25/2012, 08:58 PM   #9
birdman1979
Registered Member

Thx

birdman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 10:35 PM   #10
marlin85
Registered Member

Can Chloroquine Phosphate be dosed in a tank that has live sand and rock? How long will you be doseing your tank with it?

Thanks

marlin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 11:46 AM   #11
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin85 View Post
Can Chloroquine Phosphate be dosed in a tank that has live sand and rock? How long will you be doseing your tank with it?

Thanks
I am dosing in a bare bottom QT with no sand/rocks for 2-3 weeks (depending on how the tang looks). I would think, like copper, some of the CP would get absorbed into the rocks. And since there's no CP test kit out there (at least none that I'm aware of) it's imperative that the concentration remain constant from the initial dosage. I also would never use this stuff in the presence of corals/inverts.

Day 1 of treatment: So far, so good. I haven't seen any further symptoms from the tang since treatment began. However, I'm trying to be realistic and not get overly optimistic. Two initial things I really like about this medication though: No discoloration of the water and no noticeable difference in the fishes appetites. The latter is something I really don't like about copper treatment.

Unread 02/26/2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Agioniko
Registered Member

WWM has places you can get quinine on the website

Agioniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 03:27 PM   #13
vaporize
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0ey View Post
I am dosing in a bare bottom QT with no sand/rocks for 2-3 weeks (depending on how the tang looks). I would think, like copper, some of the CP would get absorbed into the rocks. And since there's no CP test kit out there (at least none that I'm aware of) it's imperative that the concentration remain constant from the initial dosage. I also would never use this stuff in the presence of corals/inverts.

Day 1 of treatment: So far, so good. I haven't seen any further symptoms from the tang since treatment began. However, I'm trying to be realistic and not get overly optimistic. Two initial things I really like about this medication though: No discoloration of the water and no noticeable difference in the fishes appetites. The latter is something I really don't like about copper treatment.
Sorry not sure if you mentioned about this before, what is the exact dosage you are using?

Unread 02/27/2012, 08:20 AM   #14
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agioniko View Post
WWM has places you can get quinine on the website
I've read that Quinine Sulfate is an acceptable substitute for Chloroquine, as CP is a derivative of QS. But supposedly CP is gentler on the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
Sorry not sure if you mentioned about this before, what is the exact dosage you are using?
40mg per gal

Day 2: This morning before work I noticed the tang acted like she was going to scratch on the bottom of the tank (several times)... but didn't. Weird. She also was racing all over the tank. She's done this before. 0 ammonia, everyone else looked fine.

Unread 02/27/2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Paul B
Premium Member

I have used a similar malaria medication numerous times. Quinicrine hydrocloride which I mix with copper will "clear" visable ich from a fish in about 24 hours but the fish needs ten days for a cure.
It is a prescription and not easy to get. I am not sure anything you can get in a pet shop will be the real thing, especially if it is a prescription med.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 09:08 AM   #16
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I have used a similar malaria medication numerous times. Quinicrine hydrocloride which I mix with copper will "clear" visable ich from a fish in about 24 hours but the fish needs ten days for a cure.
It is a prescription and not easy to get. I am not sure anything you can get in a pet shop will be the real thing, especially if it is a prescription med.
How much copper do you dose with it? I might experiment mixing CP w/copper down the road.

Unread 02/28/2012, 10:45 AM   #17
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Day 3 update: Last night when I got home the tank had a foul smell coming from it. But no smell this morning. Seachem Ammonia Alert badge & Salifert Ammonia test both show 0 ammonia. I'm fairly certain the Seachem badge is still accurate, but I'm not sure if CP affects ammonia test kits like copper does, giving false readings.

Fish are eating well. Tang is eating her nori and they all readily accept mysis, brine, clams, shrimp, flake food, etc. I did see the tang twitch twice last night but at least she isn't racing all over the tank twitching, scratching like crazy like she was before. She seems very calm, almost tranquil. The only thing that's weird and different is she will sometimes pace back & forth against the side glass, almost like she's looking at herself. Maybe she's just stoned

I've read varying opinions on how long it takes for CP to be effective. Some say it works almost instantly, some say a week, some say 2-3 weeks. I guess I'll keep the fish medicated for 2-3 weeks to be sure and then see what happens. If the tang's symptoms completely go away or come back.

Unread 02/28/2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
How much copper do you dose with it?
The same amount of copper you does if you just use copper alone.
Remember I only used it with quinicrine hydrocloride, I am not sure if quinine sulfate is the same thing or if it can be mixed with copper.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2012, 08:19 PM   #19
alprazo
Registered Member

Quinicrine works by the same mechanism as quinine and chloroquine. It tends to turn everything yellow. For a while it was unavailable in the US but now can be purchased.

Against Plasmodium, there are some reports of complexed copper being synergistic with chloroquine.

IME, if your fish had Ich or Velvet, It should be clinically free of disease at this point. Must finish treatment though

Unread 02/28/2012, 08:54 PM   #20
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprazo View Post
IME, if your fish had Ich or Velvet, It should be clinically free of disease at this point. Must finish treatment though
So how long until treatment is finished? I was figuring 2-3 weeks?

Tang looks really good this evening btw. Very active, eating anything/everything she can. Have not seen her twitch/rub once today. It's almost like CP is an appetite stimulant. All of the fish are very active, very responsive, almost like they're begging for food. They were all kind of lethargic before.

Unread 02/28/2012, 09:28 PM   #21
alprazo
Registered Member

I go 3-4 weeks. I do not redose and do not make water changes. Only top-off. I have used it in FOWLR before with great results. No change in dose. It will kill all algae though.

I have not dosed it with copper. I personally do not like copper - there is no doubt that it works well when done correctly though.

In addition to killing the feeding parasites, Anti-malarials may have an anti-inflammatory effect and this could be beneficial to reduce an aggressive host response against the parasite thereby reducing edema of the gills and allowing better oxygenation. - Just a theory, but may be the reason why your fish have "perked up".

Unread 03/01/2012, 08:36 AM   #22
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Day 5: Saw the tang twitch a few times yesterday. Also, she acted like she was going to rub but didn't actually follow through (weird). I plan on leaving her in CP for 3-4 weeks as alprazo suggested. If she's still twitching/rubbing after that I plan on administering a 2nd f/w dip to check for Flukes. If that still shows negative I'll treat with antibiotics. Process of elimination, right? (sighs)

Unread 03/02/2012, 03:06 PM   #23
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Day 6: Tang is still twitching & scratching. Not as frequently as before treatment began but she's still doing it. The scratching seems to be more targeting the head area. Before it was her gills. I turned on the lights for a few mins but I can't see any Flukes in her eyes. F/w dip prior to treatment didn't show any Flukes falling out either. Also, no white spots on her since treatment began. (more sighs)

Last edited by b0bab0ey; 03/02/2012 at 03:12 PM.
Unread 03/02/2012, 03:40 PM   #24
vaporize
Registered Member

Does anybody know if CP can be used with other medicines or methods?
- malachite green
-formalin
- cupramine
- UV

?

Unread 03/02/2012, 08:21 PM   #25
alprazo
Registered Member

UV - no
Copper - maybe
Dimilin - yes