Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2014, 01:27 AM   #1
JingoFresh
Registered Member

Powerheard or stronger pump for dual sump

I have a dual chambered sump.

Water from the overflow is split into a T pipe and goes into two different sump chambers at the same time.

They are joined by a tube, and the flow is kept moving due to the return pump in the second chamber.

However, the water in the first chamber does not get a lot of flow, and I saw a lot of buildup in there due to this.

I've put a power-head in there at the moment, but I am wondering if a much stronger return pump would make more sense?

JingoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Titans_Reef
Registered Member

Depending on the size of the first chamber, you might want to consider making a fuge for pods since it has low flow. If you add a stronger return pump, you may max out how much your overflow can handle and have the sump water overfill your main tank and create a mess, or your sump water level might go down and you will try to add more water into the sump to bring it back to the same level as it was before only to realise you need more space for the water when your power fails or when you shut everything off for maintenance which will overfill your sump and make a mess also. If I were you, I would leave it how it is and turn it into a refugium. You can add a PH for added water movement but its just a waist. What kind of sump is it?

Titans_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Shawn O
Registered Member

What is in each section? Can you just send all of the water to the first section?

Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 11:00 AM   #4
JingoFresh
Registered Member

At the moment there are rocks and cheato in the first section, and a skimmer and return pump int he second.

I think if all the water went to the first chamber it would overflow as it wouldn't be sucked pass through quickly enough, but I haven't tested.

Without a powerhead in there there seemed to be slime building up...is this normal?

Unread 08/27/2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Titans_Reef
Registered Member

Can you post a picture of your sump to see exactly how it is set up? or even better a video?

Titans_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Jimbo530
Registered Member

in the marine environment there are a lot of different areas with different life growing there. in a multiple sump/refugium set up you have the ability to mimic more of these areas increasing the biodiversity within your system allowing for a healthier more stable environment. this in mind remember every plant or animal has its own care and long term tank effects so read about everything you get in LR or LS as well as anything you plan to buy.

Jimbo530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Jimbo530
Registered Member

i would do pods or worms. worms are easy and need no more than you have. just make sure you get a species that is a detrivore. aka poop eaters.

Jimbo530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 01:52 PM   #8
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

from my understanding of this situation you could put a ball valve on the 2dn sid to slow the flow and force more water the other way.

does the water stay at a consistant level in the 2nd chamber with the skimmer and return? if not it should for skimmer performance.

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 08:49 PM   #9
JingoFresh
Registered Member

Attaching some pictures of my sump setup

Doing a water change hence the low level of water.

This picture shows everything:

sump and return pump in right chamber, calupera in left chamber.

Left side shows that the water flows to right chamber but doesn't have a lot of flow at all.

Without the powerhead I get slime buildup.

And right side just return pump and skimmer

Would a far more powerful return pump draw water in from the left chamber or is a powerhead in there fine?

Unread 09/02/2014, 12:34 PM   #10
JingoFresh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans_Reef View Post
Can you post a picture of your sump to see exactly how it is set up? or even better a video?
Posted some pictures.

Unread 09/02/2014, 01:39 PM   #11
RocketEngineer
Space is big.

Honestly I would change a bunch of things.
1) I would get rid of the chaeto entirely. I don't think its doing as much as you think.
2) I would place the skimmer in the left hand section. The skimmer should sit in a section with a constant water level. Being in with the return pump will make it almost impossible to get consistent skimmate production. Also, the skimmer after the refugium is removing what most people have the refugium to produce.....counter productive there.
3) I would replace the drain line so that it goes directly into the skimmer section. The dip you have in that line is also going to be problematic as it collects detritus. All those fittings are likely more problems than they are worth.
4) I would replace the return line. I'm guessing you have a check valve, an elbow, a control valve, a second elbow, and a reducer. That many connections is going to cause a lot of restriction in that pipe you don't need. The check valve should be removed entirely, the elbows are unnecessary as the valve works in any orientation, and I would go with a single tubing size for the whole length. I also recommend you get black tubing instead of clear as that helps minimize growth in the pipes.

HTH,

"Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions, experience is what you get when you don't." - Unknown

Current Tank Info: None Currently
RocketEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 01:42 PM   #12
JingoFresh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketEngineer View Post
Honestly I would change a bunch of things.
1) I would get rid of the chaeto entirely. I don't think its doing as much as you think.
2) I would place the skimmer in the left hand section. The skimmer should sit in a section with a constant water level. Being in with the return pump will make it almost impossible to get consistent skimmate production. Also, the skimmer after the refugium is removing what most people have the refugium to produce.....counter productive there.
3) I would replace the drain line so that it goes directly into the skimmer section. The dip you have in that line is also going to be problematic as it collects detritus. All those fittings are likely more problems than they are worth.
4) I would replace the return line. I'm guessing you have a check valve, an elbow, a control valve, a second elbow, and a reducer. That many connections is going to cause a lot of restriction in that pipe you don't need. The check valve should be removed entirely, the elbows are unnecessary as the valve works in any orientation, and I would go with a single tubing size for the whole length. I also recommend you get black tubing instead of clear as that helps minimize growth in the pipes.

HTH,
Wow, thanks.

I actually paid someone to set it up for me and so am not familiar with some of the terminology you used. Not sure if I have a control valve or reducer or not, so will have to do some research and understand my setup better.

I thought cheato was good for keeping nitrates down?

I have an ATO to keep the water level fine and so far I have been getting skimmate.

I couldn't have the rocks and rubble in the same chamber as the return pump could I?

Unread 09/02/2014, 03:12 PM   #13
rocsec1
Registered Member

I've seen a similiar set up and that person used a mj1200 to move water from one section to the other. It seemed to work really well.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 06:37 PM   #14
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

That's one busy sump going on there. My sump literally consists of 2 drains which one is just a emergency if one gets clogged a skimmer a reactor my heater and the return. Also have the lines from my dosing pumps and ato. A sump is ment to hide equipment and add a place to let the derititus settle out so it's easier to clean. All the derititus that settles in my sump would settle in my dt if it wasn't there.

phillrodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 05:11 PM   #15
JingoFresh
Registered Member

I had it set up for me.

I would like to change things to make it optimal, but with as little change as possible.

I would like to have a refugium, but the buildup of slime without the powerhead worries me.

What simple things could I do to improve everything?