Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Speedy77
Registered Member

Keeping Leather Corals with LPS?

Hey guys,
I just recently found out the incompatibility between some soft corals and LPS (apparently that's not something that's widely talked about). I was wondering what your experience is with keeping leathers with LPS? I have a small thick finger leather coral and a green polyp leather, along with a torch and a chalice. The torch was pretty angry being close (about 6 inches) away from the thick finger, but once moved it's looking better. The chalice was also looking a little upset, but it was also bleached accidentally in the light so it's a bit difficult to tell if it's the leather or the bright light. What's your guys' experience with these corals? Thanks for reading!

Speedy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 10:01 AM   #2
gbru316
Registered Member

Use activated carbon and keep some distance between the two to mitigate the effects of allelopathy.

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 11:26 AM   #3
cloak
Moved On

I've kept leathers with LPS corals for years on end without any problems. I didn't run any carbon, no GFO, and no refuge. Just an efficient skimmer, plenty of flow, and weekly water changes. (15%) Every now & then I would have to move something, or cut something back, but they all seemed to get along pretty well. It basically just boils down to trial & error, but definitely do some research on the corals first. Then try to visualize the layout before you start placing one here, one there, etc. GL.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Speedy77
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys! Have you guys noticed any slowed growth? I know I've read in some places that LPS growth is slowed or even stopped when in the same tank or in close proximity of leathers or other softies that produce chemicals in the tank.

Speedy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

My toadstool leather and frogspawn euphyllia spent over 12 years together in a 30g. In that time the leather went from maybe 2" to 8", and the frogspawn grows at a rate that requires me to take about a third of it to the LFS to trade 2-3 times per year. I do think the frogspawn was responsible for the slow demise of my candy cane colony though.

I do skim and used either carbon or chemi-pure during that time span.

Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 05:05 PM   #6
boostd2valve
Registered Member

I have both together in a 28g. I've had no problem in years the tank has been running. No growth or health issues at all.

boostd2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2014, 12:34 PM   #7
supertony
Registered Member

I have both also in a 28, though not for nearly as long. I placed them far enough away so that they shouldn't bother each other. I don't run carbon. I have some, but haven't found the need yet. All my corals are doing really well so far.

supertony is offline   Reply With Quote