Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

Conesus, How's the school tank goin?

Hey, Maybe I missed a few threads while I was away.

Any progress on your school project tank?

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

At this point, I'm just gathering equipment. I won't be able to start setting things up until school gets out at the end of June.

The plan is for a 6 foot tank; probably a 180, unless I can get something wider than 24".

So far, I've picked up an MSX-250 skimmer from Marine solutions. I have a Lumenarc III reflector w/ a 400w electronic ballast and SE socket w/ a couple bulbs (used). This will go in the center. I also bought a dual 250w Galaxy e ballast w/ two Reef Optix 3 DE pendants for either side of the tank.

I have a Reeflo Barracuda for my return. I'll probably get another one for the closed loop, (or a Dart), and a Tunze wavebox for flow.

I'm getting some awesome deals off the used equipment forum on RC, so it's really helping me stretch my grant dollars. If anyone told me I'd be able to get my skimmer, return, and lighting for around $1,200, I would have said they were crazy!

I called Petmart and left a message for Kenny, but he either didn't get it, or has been too busy to return my call. When I get my truck back on the road this month, I'll stop by there to see what he has. I'll also need between 12-20 ten and twenty gallon tanks for the breeding system. As soon as I know the exact dimensions of the display, I can begin work on the stand and canopy.

I have a 55 gallon that I'm donating, and was given another one. One will serve as the fuge, the other will be a QT tank. (I am NOT taking ANY chances by not QT'ing the livestock for this tank.)

I guess in a nutshell, things are moving as fast as possible at this point, but not as quickly as I'd like! I'm going to be a busy boy this summer getting things squared away. My goal is to get the rock in it by the beginning of August. I'll start purchasing livestock for QT at the beginning of Sept. and will be able to start adding fish to the aquarium in October.

I would like to host an event at the school sometime next spring (maybe a garage sale/frag swap like Mark Klier hosted) so that folks can check out the system.

I'll be posting pics and looking for feedback as soon as I can get into my room and start setting up.

Friends don't give friends Kenya tree...
Conesus_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 07:29 AM   #3
talon4x4
Registered Member

Can't wait to see some pics!!! It sounds like it will be truly amazing!! An event at the school would be great. Where is Conesus, NY??

Couple question, what happens when the grant money runs out?? Who pays for things like food, salt, etc.?? Have you thought about a chiller?? Every school I went to was a hot box during the summer months, no a/c in the schools around here.

talon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by talon4x4
Can't wait to see some pics!!! It sounds like it will be truly amazing!! An event at the school would be great. Where is Conesus, NY??

Couple question, what happens when the grant money runs out?? Who pays for things like food, salt, etc.?? Have you thought about a chiller?? Every school I went to was a hot box during the summer months, no a/c in the schools around here.
The school is actually in Honeoye Falls-Lima (south of Roch). I am definitely installing a chiller in the system, as it does get warm here!

I'm hoping to come in enough under budget to fund things like food, salt, etc. for awhile, but we also have a generous PTA who awards mini-grants to teachers for projects. Long-term goals include breeding fish and inverts and propagating corals for local reefers in return for small donations. Hopefully this will end up being a "self-sustaining" project!

Unread 05/07/2008, 09:46 AM   #5
SkiFletch
Registered Member

If I can make a suggestion, use the Dart for the CL . Long story short, thin veined pumps (like the barracuda) are designed to create more pressure than flow, thus making them ideal return pumps. Wide veined pumps (like the dart) are designed for more flow than pressure, thus making them ideal closed loop pumps (where pressure is minimal). Choosing the right pump for the application saves you on electricity, heat, AND replacement parts by running the pump more in it's spec.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef
SkiFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Mike-

This is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. I appreciate your input, and am now in the market for a Dart!

Unread 05/07/2008, 11:38 AM   #7
thriceanangel
Registered Member

Was going to say the exact same thing. Use a few darts if you have to for the closed loop, and the barracuda for a return pump if you want that much flow through the sump... I personally am a slow flow guy when it comes to sumps. Are you going to use an OM ?

If you could swing it I think a 280 gallon wide would be a great choice. The dimensions are 6' x 3' x 25" tall. I know someone that ordered one from glass cages, but I'm certain there are other places to get this dimension.

thriceanangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

I was thinking about an OM for mixing things up, but I'm leaning towards the Tunze wavebox. I'm going to drill the back for the CL intake and have it return in a loop over the top, with multiple outlets w/ locline. I figure I can direct the flow towards the corals that need more intense flow, while the wavebox will mix things up and eliminate any dead spots in the tank.

Glasscages has a 240 wide that I was originally planning on, but I'm going to see what Kenny has. I may have to use some of my budget for backup power, so I'm hoping for a good deal on the glass. I'll have a better idea after I talk to the Buildings and Grounds supervisor.

Keep those suggestions coming as you think of them. I'm counting down the days until I can get started!

Unread 05/07/2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Henry Colf
Registered Member

When you are ready for livestock LMK and I will donate frags of what I have. This is so cool you know you might just spark an interest in a student or two and walla you could have groomed the next great underwater explorers.

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Colf
When you are ready for livestock LMK and I will donate frags of what I have. This is so cool you know you might just spark an interest in a student or two and walla you could have groomed the next great underwater explorers.
That's one of my goals!

Thanks for the generous offer. I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date as we proceed.

Unread 05/07/2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

Scott, glad to see it's still in motion. Hadn't heard much from ya. I hope the kids realize what a great opportunity your enthusiasm is providing them.

(on the flip side it's like the drug dealer that gives the kids their first dose for free hoping to get em hooked and have a life time spender......)

Kenny's hit or miss, kinda scatter brained in my experience, but ALWAYS willing to hook you up face to face. You might give him a drop in for better success. Plus he might be able to hook you up if you have a particular request.

Keep the updates comin!

DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO ASK AGAIN!

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Conesus_Kid
Premium Member

Yeah, I kind of figured that.

I'll give them a shout next week to see if he's there, then I'll make the drive out to see him.

I promise I'll keep the group up to date. In fact, I'll probably start a thread in the next month or so.