Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2011, 02:03 AM   #1
samdaman
Registered Member

Eel recommendation

I want to get a eel, which one should I get? a Snowflake? i'm escape proofing my tank this week, will my fish be fine?... a small Niger trigger 2.5" and a 1.5" 3 stripe damsel. The Niger sleeps in a hole in a rock. the damsel, who knows where he sleeps. Thanks for your input.

samdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2011, 05:48 AM   #2
NewJerseyreef
Moved On

I love my snowflake. Other than it seems like having a server case of food frenzy at feeding time he leaves all my fish alone. My humu trigger sleeps in a hole about 6 inches away from his rock and they have been fine for about 2 months. I have 3 damsels and the smallest being at most an inch and I've had them for just under a month and they are fine. They are crustation feeders and normally keep fish alone unless starving. Snowflake all the way and defiantly the most affordable

NewJerseyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Watercity101
Registered Member

I also have a Snowflake eel, its about 1 foot and a couple of inches......... in the tank i have included 2 damsels along.. and the snowflake eel lives fine with them.(due to research- the fishes that are too big than the snowflake eels mouth.. the snowflake wouldn't care for the fish/ it wont try to eat them *IF* the fishes are too big for its mouth.)

Current Tank Info: starting new tank! moving on to a predatory fish tank-50 gallon
Watercity101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 12:21 AM   #4
samdaman
Registered Member

Sweet, is it full of character, can you see it during the day?

Unread 01/19/2011, 08:37 AM   #5
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Snowflakes and zebras are the best bet for a community eel since they mainly feed on crustaceans. However, there are numerous reports of snowflakes changing from model citizens to fish killers once they get some size, 1.5-2ft+. Dwarf goldens are fairly safe due to their small size but I would be wary of mixing one with a trigger.

Unread 01/19/2011, 09:02 AM   #6
NewJerseyreef
Moved On

My SFE is great it's amazing to see him do anything. He has his rock which I thought was very solid but he finds the cracks and hangs out in them. I can often see him poking his headnout of his rock about 2 inches most of the day sticking out from different directions to (as I call it) protect his rock. At feeding time he's become much more active being frantic at times when he smells food but mostly just hangs out looking around

NewJerseyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 11:21 AM   #7
rubensito
Registered Member

I've had a Gymnothorax tile on multiple occasions and find them to be as outgoing as snowflakes, perhaps even more...downside is they are not as attractive

rubensito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 11:31 AM   #8
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

i have had a ghost ribbon eel for about 4 months now. he is really cool. has his head out a couple inches. has a Very small mother so he won touch my fish.

he will get to be 3.5-4ft long but wont get thicker than a Bic pen

matt

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 11:52 AM   #9
GrendelPrime76
Registered Member

i didnt see anything mentioned about tank size

GrendelPrime76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 12:40 PM   #10
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelPrime76 View Post
i didnt see anything mentioned about tank size
This is a very valid point. I have a full grown SFE in my 400 and I would dare say it really isn't enough. Beautiful creature though and he/she has picked off about 4 blue damsels, and I wish she would pick off the rest!

Scott

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 03:05 PM   #11
samdaman
Registered Member

Its a 125 gal.

Unread 01/19/2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Kynigos
Registered Member

A goldentail would probably work. They're very attractive and I haven't known any to be aggressive or highly predatory. The only real downside is they're a good deal more expensive.

Kynigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Cracken
Registered Member

A goldentail is worth it, they stick their heads out and are wanting to know whats happening, and enjoy to stroll around the tank IME.

Cracken is offline   Reply With Quote