Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2019, 01:52 AM   #1
lrhorer
Registered Member

Best Magnesium test kit?

I have been using the Red Sea Reef Foundation Magnesium test kit, and I find it a bit finicky and tricky to use. In all honesty, I have never been all that great at titration. I am wondering if there is an easier or more sensitive Magnesium test kit out there. What are the experiences of the folks here?

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 02:49 AM   #2
lowtek
Registered Member

I started out and continue to use Salifert. Very easy. Hardest part is getting a level scoop of the powder. Once you figure that part out, cake. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 01:08 PM   #3
cincyjim
Registered Member

Same here... I use Salifert as well and find it very easy to use.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 04:39 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

The Salifert has worked well for me, too.

Unread 06/28/2019, 11:21 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Honestly all hobby level test kits in the market are not accurate at all but salifert seems to be the easiest one.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2019, 08:41 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

I use Salifert for all of my testing as well. Although most of them are fairly tolerant of slight testing inconsistencies, the Mg test really needs to be done exactly how the instructions state.

after adding 5 drops of mg1, swirl for 30 seconds. then add 1 spoon of mg2, swirl for 10 seconds. when adding mg3, with the other tests you can get away with adding about 1/2 a syringe then drop at a time until color change. For the Mg test, I get the most consistent results adding one drop at a time from the beginning until color change.

I use the stopwatch on my phone to time my "swirls".

Using this method I can get very reliable, repeatable results. Like mentioned above, the test kits will not give you laboratory level precision, but they will be consistent and that is really what you need to be concerned with IMO.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2019, 01:42 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I use Salifert for all of my testing as well. Although most of them are fairly tolerant of slight testing inconsistencies, the Mg test really needs to be done exactly how the instructions state.

after adding 5 drops of mg1, swirl for 30 seconds. then add 1 spoon of mg2, swirl for 10 seconds. when adding mg3, with the other tests you can get away with adding about 1/2 a syringe then drop at a time until color change. For the Mg test, I get the most consistent results adding one drop at a time from the beginning until color change.

I use the stopwatch on my phone to time my "swirls".

Using this method I can get very reliable, repeatable results. Like mentioned above, the test kits will not give you laboratory level precision, but they will be consistent and that is really what you need to be concerned with IMO.
Salifert has changed the directions on their test. "Add 5 drops Mg-1
Add one spoon of Mg-2 pwder to test vial and swirl for 10 seconds."
Always check directions when obtaining a new test kit. Directions sometimes change.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 12:19 AM   #8
lrhorer
Registered Member

Thanks, everyone. I picked up a Salifert Mg test kit, and it is essentially the same as the Red Sea kit, except that the Red Sea kit is a bit fancier with a titrator that is sort of cool. The only other difference is the part B reagent is a powder in the Salifert kit and a pre-mixed solution in the Red Sea kit. The Red Sea kit is quite a bit more expensive, but the refill is about the same cost.

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You can use the tritrator syringe to level the powder before filling.
OR just keep something in the kit to do it, like a stiff plastic card.