Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2019, 11:16 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Filtration for 20 Gal reef?

I’m considering turning my 20 gal FOWLR to a reef. With my birthday passing I was given a skimmer by my sister who used to keep tanks - this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028BPRMA..._2sZ3DbRTFXQGZ

For a tank with 3 fish, a cleaner and coral banded shrimp and some crabs do you think that’s enough filtration? I also have mangroves and chateau in the tank. If it’s not good enough alone what do you recommend I add? I have a fluval 106 which I’ve heard is a bad idea to try to use to keep corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2019, 05:29 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I wouldn't use anything but water changes to maintain water quality in a tank that size..
You can certainly just use the skimmer if you want..

Unread 12/02/2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Im using that same skimmer,takes some patience to setup... it does require a slight mod to the air intake or it will give issues, and you must maintain the water level precisely or again issues as is the same for most all skimmers. It does work if allowed to break in & has the mods tho.
With the bio load you have id say use it if you want but yea, water changes weekly is enough, i have 5 fish & 26 corals all growing larger in my 20L & a HOB big filter sys. as well as a lot of live rock so yes a skimmer is a must have in my case.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 09:36 PM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Im using that same skimmer,takes some patience to setup... it does require a slight mod to the air intake or it will give issues, and you must maintain the water level precisely or again issues as is the same for most all skimmers. It does work if allowed to break in & has the mods tho.
With the bio load you have id say use it if you want but yea, water changes weekly is enough, i have 5 fish & 26 corals all growing larger in my 20L & a HOB big filter sys. as well as a lot of live rock so yes a skimmer is a must have in my case.

Thank you. Looks like I’ll have to invest In an ATO for that skimmer. I didnt even know you could put that many fish in a 20 - I thought three was pushing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Except for the clown pair i added ea. one spaced at least 1 month apart & picked them all up as juveniles allowing the bacteria to catch up, but yea im not adding anymore & none grow over 3" max. I feed very carefully also just what they will eat & no more and in 2 yrs have had no issues with any fish or corals from over stocking so far, ask me in 5 yrs when everything has grown out i guess LOL.
If one does pass on some day i probably will not replace it tho due to coral growth in the tank taking up real estate just to be safe tho since the bioload will be much more then as i run no sumps.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Haunt
Registered Member

I've been using one of those AquaticLife 115 skimmers on my 20L for almost 3 years now and couldn't be happier with it. I think I got it on Amazon for like $50. Set it and forget it basically. Very easy to take apart and clean too. GL.