Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2014, 10:27 AM   #1
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Mangrove tank

Hi guys just thought I'd throw up a pic or two of my mangrove setup. It's basically a tank devoted to the mangroves. The fish are 3 spot and 4 stripe damsels and there are hermit crabs. The fish and crabs are there to provide nutritional benefit of the plants, however, they live pampered lives themselves. The two big ladies are Red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle), the small pot resting on them is a Black mangrove (Avicennia germinans) that I collected on a recent Florida vacation. The pot on the right is a Large-leafed Orange Mangrove (Bruguiera gymnorhiza) propagule that I recently acquired. I'll be throwing up some update pics periodically! I'd be happy to answer any questions.

First signs of life on the Avicennia germinans

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 05:15 PM   #2
saltwater sam
Registered Member

First branches forming on my younger Red.

Unread 04/23/2014, 11:20 AM   #3
saltwater sam
Registered Member

First leaves appear on black mangrove.

Foliage on the reds

Last edited by saltwater sam; 04/23/2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Didn't want to make additional post for picture
Unread 04/30/2014, 09:56 AM   #4
packman90
Registered Member

hi there, what are you doing for filtration?

packman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2014, 11:10 AM   #5
saltwater sam
Registered Member

I have a small in tank filter. The plants take out nitrogenous waste and phosphates completely.

Unread 05/12/2014, 10:03 AM   #6
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Just moved these guys to their new home. This is my happy place during finals week

Here's a couple updates on my baby black mangrove... they grow up so fast! :P

Unread 05/21/2014, 03:29 PM   #7
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Added some green and red macros today!

Unread 05/21/2014, 04:58 PM   #8
saltwater sam
Registered Member

The black mangrove is doing great. My camel shrimp actually compromised the lining of its old smaller pot, so I repotted it last night in a bigger one.

Unread 05/21/2014, 08:41 PM   #9
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Sorry for the pic dump today, but not really.

Here's some closer shots of macros

Unread 05/22/2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Tiki God
Registered Member

Sweet! How long has it taken your mangroves to grow that big, and get branches?

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon mixed reef, in-the-works 55 gallon FOWLR
Tiki God is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 10:42 AM   #11
firemountain
Registered Member

I have a spare tank that is just waiting for something to go into it. What's the planting media that you have filled in those pots?

I was originally going to use the tank as a refugium, strictly for copepods and chaeto production...I want mandarins. But I think that a HOB may be better suited for this.

What type of filtration are you using....a HOB type, canister?? Reason being that I have a spare Fluval 306 that I could use. Suggestions would be helpful.

Can you recommend a good resource for growing mangroves.

Thanks!

firemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 11:24 AM   #12
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Tiki God- The bigger one is a little over 3 years, the smaller one is about 2 years. It took a little over a year for the big one to start branching.

Firemountain- The inside of the pots have refugium mud thats held by a filter sock, the roots of the plant are mostly contained in there. The rest of the pot is filled with regular aquarium rock. The reason I have it like that is so the mud doesn't pour out of the pots.
The filtration is just a Whisper 40 in tank filter, which has carbon to keep the water clear and not stinky. The rest is taken care of by the plants.
I would highly recommend checking out this thread by Giga: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2328018
This guy knows his stuff.
Some personal recommendations I would make would be to definitely grow your mangroves with the roots in a medium: whether it's in substrate, growing into rock, or in pots like mine. Growing mangroves with their roots dangling in the water column does not get the best results and the plants certainly don't appreciate it.

Unread 05/22/2014, 02:24 PM   #13
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Good growth in there. how many gallons is the tank?

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2014, 03:08 PM   #14
saltwater sam
Registered Member

40 gallon breeder

Unread 05/22/2014, 10:14 PM   #15
firemountain
Registered Member

Saltwater Sam......thanks for the info. Once I get my DT cycled, then I will work on the mangrove.

Unread 05/22/2014, 10:29 PM   #16
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Hey, no problem! Good luck. I look forward to seeing how it works out for you!

Unread 05/23/2014, 08:37 AM   #17
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Can they grow without mud/sand etc.. ? Thinking of putting one floating to let the roots grow down. I would start with a fresh seed. Have them all over my house lol

Unread 05/23/2014, 09:11 AM   #18
MarlinDreams
Registered Member

Thanks for the post, I have been trying for the longest time to figure out how I was going to transfer my 10 mangroves that I've got growing to my little refugium tank in my fish room. The little bucket idea is absolutely perfect.

MarlinDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2014, 10:47 AM   #19
saltwater sam
Registered Member

G_Sanab922- You can suspend them but I would not recommend doing so for a long period of time. When you take a seed and force it to grow roots like that, it takes energy away from the growth of leaves, which the plant needs to make food. The roots that get produced are thick and don't absorb nutrients, only small hair-like roots can do that which are only produced when the plant is firmly secured in a medium. It is a common misconception that if you grow a mangrove outside of medium you can make it grow prop roots faster. The truth is, the only way a plant is going to produce prop roots is if it's healthy and established. It takes two years minimum for them to start dropping aerial roots. A good rule of thumb is that the stem will not be green, but brown, before it will start producing aerial roots. Secure the roots in media, or attach them to rock. Giga's thread "Mangroves, aquariums, and you!" is a very good reference for growing mangroves, I would recommend looking at his methods.

MarlinDreams- You're welcome! Growing in pots is very convenient, it allows you to move plants between tanks, and even just to rearrange them in the tank they're in!

Unread 05/24/2014, 02:17 AM   #20
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my true percula who seems to enjoy "hosting" in this algae. Love this little guy, think I might find him an RBTA, but I haven't decided how I'm going to stock my tank as far as cnidaria goes.

Unread 05/27/2014, 03:02 PM   #21
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater sam View Post
G_Sanab922- You can suspend them but I would not recommend doing so for a long period of time. When you take a seed and force it to grow roots like that, it takes energy away from the growth of leaves, which the plant needs to make food. The roots that get produced are thick and don't absorb nutrients, only small hair-like roots can do that which are only produced when the plant is firmly secured in a medium. It is a common misconception that if you grow a mangrove outside of medium you can make it grow prop roots faster. The truth is, the only way a plant is going to produce prop roots is if it's healthy and established. It takes two years minimum for them to start dropping aerial roots. A good rule of thumb is that the stem will not be green, but brown, before it will start producing aerial roots. Secure the roots in media, or attach them to rock. Giga's thread "Mangroves, aquariums, and you!" is a very good reference for growing mangroves, I would recommend looking at his methods.

MarlinDreams- You're welcome! Growing in pots is very convenient, it allows you to move plants between tanks, and even just to rearrange them in the tank they're in!
Thanks for the info. I have a 20g high so it'll be hard to start with a seed then.

Unread 05/27/2014, 03:35 PM   #22
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Oh, I see what you mean. You still have the option of fastening it to a rock. You could sprout the seed and let the roots grow for a bit, then anchor them to a piece of rock towards the top of the tank. Also, you can buy seeds that are actually very tall. That might be another option for you.

Unread 05/27/2014, 04:04 PM   #23
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Black mangrove with first set of true leaves finished. Also can see my red macro and purple stripe dottyback who has set up shop underneath the mangrove pot

Unread 05/28/2014, 01:17 PM   #24
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater sam View Post
Oh, I see what you mean. You still have the option of fastening it to a rock. You could sprout the seed and let the roots grow for a bit, then anchor them to a piece of rock towards the top of the tank. Also, you can buy seeds that are actually very tall. That might be another option for you.
Hmmm sounds like a good idea. I'll see if I can try that.

Unread 05/28/2014, 04:16 PM   #25
firemountain
Registered Member

What would be a good place online to buy a small red mangrove that is already established. My LFS doesn't have any for sale.