Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

Amphiprion annamensis

I never saw a clown eat like this............once called (Amphiprion polymnus)....now named (Amphiprion annamensis)........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA4b-lelAAk

Yuri Barros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2020, 07:53 PM   #2
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know anemones caught that many fish, either. I guess it's because it's night and they're disoriented.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

Yes....its an oportunistic feeding behaiviour of the anemone...............I didný knew that before watch this vídeo.............

I watched many Anemonefish vídeos in the wild....and always see them eating in water column............feeding on Copepods....and something like that....but never imagined a Clown eat a small fish.............

This open my mind in how to feed large Clowns..........

some wild caught clowns loose weight in aquarium........maybe feed them with live food could help...........including stimulate breeding..........

Last edited by Yuri Barros; 05/28/2020 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 05/29/2020, 07:14 PM   #4
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

(Amphiprion annamensis) in Japan......the small Anemone is so cute....never saw this size.......maybe this came from an egg............

I cannot ID properly.......I think its a Haddon´s....but not sure........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWXeFJ9rGd0

Unread 05/30/2020, 12:41 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Barros View Post
Y....but never imagined a Clown eat a small fish.............
Nothing new to me...
Back in Germany I had ocellaris, percula, and clarkii eat frozen gobies I caught as bycatch when catching grass shrimp. And those were not tiny gobies but between 5 and 8 mm in diameter. And they would of course also eat the shrimp (without heads) and rather large strips of squid.

But strangely enough, of the anemonefish I have now [4x Amphiprion percula (Solomon Is.), 2x A. cf. percula (Indonesia), 2x A. bicolor (Darwin "ocellaris", TR & wild), A. cf. ocellaris (Philippines), A. bicinctus (Djibouti), A. milii (West Australia "clarkii"), A. cf latifasciatus (White Margin), Amphiprion epigrammata (Goldbar Maroon, Sumatra)] none will eat anything larger than Mysis. And one of my percula females doesn't even eat those but only Calanus, Cyclops, and the like.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2020, 01:19 PM   #6
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

cool...........

Unread 06/26/2020, 09:30 PM   #7
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:
(Amphiprion annamensis) in Japan......the small Anemone is so cute....never saw this size.......maybe this came from an egg............

The anemone looks like a small Heteractis crispa which is a natural host to A. polymnus.

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2020, 12:56 PM   #8
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:

To my untrained eye that carpet anemone appears to have too many random, not so much a pentagonal overall pattern, arrangement of folds to be S. haddoni. Looks more like what I'd expect a large S. mertensii's irregular shaped oral disc to fold up like. The white tips are also something I'd associate with S. martensii, as well as S. haddoni only with S. haddoni the white tips generaly are not consistent over the entire disc, rather having radial patches of a slightly darker shade or color. S. gigantea gets pretty large too and could also be a possibility especially so if the white tips extend to encompass more of the tentacle than just the tip.
Again in my untrained and minimal dive experience in the habitat of clownfish hosting anemones' opinion.

@Yuri Barros, and or anyone else, find photographic proof of A. ocellaris or even A. percula associating with S. mertensii in the wild? If so could you post pix and or links?

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

Merten´s are not the favorite...........but in certain circunstances they use it as a host.......

Unread 09/08/2020, 02:30 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Ocellaris are regularly found in mertensi, which recent research shows to be very closely related to haddoni but actually not so close to gigantea.

To my knowledge mertens is not a natural host for percula. Percula are in the wild only found in gigantea and magnifica, two very closely related anemones.

from: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/bior...60045.full.pdf

The genetics suggest that there may actually either be a number of cryptic haddoni and mertensi species or they are both one and the same species...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (50.8 KB, 70 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 09/08/2020 at 02:36 AM.
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

few more pctures of Amphiprion ocellaris in association with Stichodactyla merensii...........

Last edited by Yuri Barros; 09/29/2020 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 09/30/2020, 10:07 AM   #12
Jamie1210
Registered Member

I've didn't know metertens carpets came in striped green. Thanks for sharing! I love looking at clowns and anemones in the wild.

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2020, 09:15 AM   #13
Yuri Barros
Registered Member

This striped green mertens picture is from semakau...singapore.....

Search for semakau tide walking......there´s a lot of inverts there.......