Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:31 AM   #1
jminick2
Registered Member

Sps lighting

I have a 30x30x24 93g cube was wondering if 1 20x20 lumenbright 250w MH would suffice for an sps dominated tank. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300g sps tank
jminick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2020, 10:32 AM   #2
tamama
Registered Member

Why not ATI

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

tamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2020, 10:37 AM   #3
chgries
Chris

I would suggest getting an adjustable ballast so if you want to move up to a 400 watt. You could also add a couple of reebrite xho’s blues for some more pop. I was considering going that route two, but still on the fence. I used to run halides with vho’s back in the day and really loved that setup.

chgries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2020, 10:37 AM   #4
shred5
Registered Member

With a 250 halide I usually look at them as covering 24"x24" for good coverage.

Now depending on aquascape and what you want to keep it may work out.

If you are keeping little on the sides or just lower light corals on the sides it may work.

You can always raise the fixtures some to help with spread but then there will be less par directly underneath. .

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:41 AM   #5
tamama
Registered Member

Mh won't give you yellow as it tends to make sps more green as compared to ati. I used Mh, ati, led radion.. Still find ati best.

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:42 AM   #6
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
With a 250 halide I usually look at them as covering 24"x24" for good coverage.

Now depending on aquascape and what you want to keep it may work out.

If you are keeping little on the sides or just lower light corals on the sides it may work.

You can always raise the fixtures some to help with spread but then there will be less par directly underneath. .

Thanks for the quick replies. Mostly birdnests and stylos right now. I would say most of the corals are within the 24x24.

I’ll note I do have Two kessil a80s helping right now just not sure if they are even doing anything due to the fact I can barely notice when they are on or off.

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:43 AM   #7
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamama View Post
Why not ATI

It’s what I had. Plus ATI doesn’t make a 30 inch fixture like I would like it.

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:44 AM   #8
tamama
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminick2 View Post
It’s what I had. Plus ATI doesn’t make a 30 inch fixture like I would like it.

24 inch x 8 tubes

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:44 AM   #9
jminick2
Registered Member

Tank is a few months old now and I think it’s starting to get dialed in. Just added the white rock a couple weeks ago (obviously). I’m getting closer to harder corals I believe and wanted to make sure I had enough light. Thanks guys.

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:53 AM   #10
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
24 inch x 8 tubes

I’m familiar with it and I considered it. But it’s 17 inches from front to back. Just felt like the 20x20 would be better suited for the cube. Plus I had a 20x20 lumenbright from an old tank I wasn’t using. Just figured I’d save where I could.

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:57 AM   #11
tamama
Registered Member

Quote:
I’m familiar with it and I considered it. But it’s 17 inches from front to back. Just felt like the 20x20 would be better suited for the cube. Plus I had a 20x20 lumenbright from an old tank I wasn’t using. Just figured I’d save where I could.

Sure. It all depends on how extreme you want your sps colours. Mh will work but quite hot and the bulb colour temperate will change over time which make sps more green. For sps colours, I would only suggest ati for optimal results.

I used Mh + T5 for 4 years, and ati for another 5 years then recently got radion as well.

You can have a look at my tank when it was at its peak.

https://youtu.be/hUmmrzi99J0

Unread 07/28/2020, 11:17 AM   #12
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. It all depends on how extreme you want your sps colours. Mh will work but quite hot and the bulb colour temperate will change over time which make sps more green. For sps colours, I would only suggest ati for optimal results.

I used Mh + T5 for 4 years, and ati for another 5 years then recently got radion as well.

You can have a look at my tank when it was at its peak.

https://youtu.be/hUmmrzi99J0

Wow, Beautiful. That’s an amazing tank. I have no doubt about T5s. Might have to consider them a little more.

Unread 07/28/2020, 11:41 AM   #13
shred5
Registered Member

I actually had the same tank and had a 24" ATI fixture. Works fine but you also have the same problem with little light on the edges.

Halides especially with either led/t-5 suplimental for blue for that additional pops is the best lighting combo for sps in my opinion. If you are looking for growth and color.

I rarely run halides anymore and mainly use t-5 or a hybrid t-5\led. Mainly because of energy use and how easy they are to use.

I have thought of running some halides again..

No matter what lighting you use there is a little give and take.

Unread 08/04/2020, 09:38 AM   #14
joseserrano
Registered Member

you'll be fine with the light, reefbrite supplements wont be a bad option, especially for night time viewing.

joseserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2020, 09:55 PM   #15
mirkus
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a 30x30x24 93g cube was wondering if 1 20x20 lumenbright 250w MH would suffice for an sps dominated tank. Thanks

I ran 8 bulb ati sun power with blue reefbrites when I had 93g cube.

mirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 10:53 PM   #16
Overboard
Premium Member

Quote:

I think the 250 MH would work fine. Still good bulb choices around. The Lumenbright is a very good reflector and provides good coverage. If you can adjust the height, it would be easy to find the right level for the par you want. LED or T5 supplement is good if you want more pop, but that will depend on the MH bulb you select. T5s could also work well probably, but I have just never been impressed with the output from the shorter T5s. LEDs will work well also. MH is just the best for me and I like the shimmer. The heat can be a challenge but I have learned to put up with it using fans, but I did add a chiller.

Good luck!

Unread 08/06/2020, 08:05 PM   #17
jminick2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
I think the 250 MH would work fine. Still good bulb choices around. The Lumenbright is a very good reflector and provides good coverage. If you can adjust the height, it would be easy to find the right level for the par you want. LED or T5 supplement is good if you want more pop, but that will depend on the MH bulb you select. T5s could also work well probably, but I have just never been impressed with the output from the shorter T5s. LEDs will work well also. MH is just the best for me and I like the shimmer. The heat can be a challenge but I have learned to put up with it using fans, but I did add a chiller.

Good luck!

Thanks I’m at about 7.5 inches and I think Im happy I have a 30 inch reef brite tech coming tomorrow as well I feel like I should be fine after that. I found a BRS video showing par output with a similar fixture. I went with a radium. The tech is all white. I think it will look nice. Thanks for the reply !